Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Warning Regarding Targeted Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:50 pm

Someone please get a strongly worded letter we all can MAIL in. Copy the bankruptcy judge, also.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 7:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TimCLE:
Someone please get a strongly worded letter we all can MAIL in. Copy the bankruptcy judge, also. </font>
i think avek00 is just about there.
B
Old Oct 15, 2002, 7:35 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
Just think, five years from now, young MBA's following in the footsteps of Isom and my pal Ben will be discussing a case study on all the ways one can poke their marketing fingers in the eyes of the customers to drive an airline out of business. You almost wonder if the dynamic duo hasn't shorted the stock. Jeeez, the only thing missing from the US Airways marketing plan is the pre-board enima.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 7:38 pm

changed my mind...i'm going to stay quiet for now.

[This message has been edited by BizJet (edited 10-15-2002).]
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:08 pm

Last year I inquired about a double-miles code that a co-worker had passed on to me. The person I dealt with told me that I was not targeted for the offer, but she would go ahead and register me for it, retroactively.

Lawyers know better than I, but I think that must be some type of precedent that would have an impact on efforts to retract miles that have already been awarded.

Legal eagles?
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by syzygy8:
i think avek00 is just about there.
B
</font>
No it needs to make some comments about the reckless and negligent behavior on the part of US in the management of their program (if they claim our behavior was bad for US, then it should have been stopped a long time ago, and they damanged US by not taking action sooner). It should also comment on the damage we will suffer due to our reliance on US's continued performance which they knowingly allowed to take place to US's benefit. In the last message they (whoever they are) admit that
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">some of us are avid readers</font>
so they know, about the bonus code thread, and they know that many people were booking flights solely because of the bonuses available, and while they
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">do not condone the practice</font>
they apparently did not "not condone it" enough to suggest that we stop giving them our money.

I suspect that a good case can be made that striping any miles received, or failing to grant them in the future for bonuses already signed up for could be shown to be a deliberate fraud on the part of US.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gregg:
[B]Did anyone notice how this all went down after the point you could still get decent fares 14 days out to make the Oct 31st deadline for the Get Out More and the 4/8/12 bonuses?
I wouldn't be surprised if US Air knew this was going on long ago and decided not to enforce it until after many of you spent plenty of your money earning miles using these bonuses.
Couldn't this crackdown have happened in July? August? September?
B]</font>
US has known about this thread for months. I think Greg is dead on...they waited until all good 14-day advance purchase fares were gone prior to Oct 31st. There's no way this is a coincidence.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 9:04 pm

Programs: United Gold
I hope they hurry up and make the negative adjustments soon - that way, I can re-register all the codes again. They surely wont have time to go in twice and gut our accounts! ;-)
Old Oct 15, 2002, 9:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyertalk:

Targeted promotions that are sent to Dividend Miles members or our partners via e-mail or direct mail, which generally require registration, cannot be earned by anyone except the original recipient of the e-mail or direct mail program. The terms and conditions of these promotions state that only the original recipient of the direct mail or e-mail program can qualify for the promotional offer. We always clearly state promotional terms and conditions associated with each Dividend Miles promotional offer.

</font>
I'm only a first year law student, but I can already see major problems. If they have a problem with people who registered when they were untargeted, how can they expect to enforce the terms of the mailer. If I didn't receive the mailer, than the terms were obviously never expressed to me. Therefore the only terms applicable would be the ones diplayed over their phone regisration system. Did they mention that it was for targetted cutomers onlyon the phone, I think not. I offered to sign up for promotion XXXX snd they accepted. No other terms unless expressed by US at the time.

Old Oct 15, 2002, 9:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hscottm:
I hope they hurry up and make the negative adjustments soon - that way, I can re-register all the codes again. They surely wont have time to go in twice and gut our accounts! ;-)</font>
You think they won't have time to go in and gut accounts twice? :-) Surely you jest? The same people who are ready to spend all the time they need to gut accounts are also the same geniuses who came up with the idea of status miles and segments only on refundable tickets and then had to rescind it. They've proven they have plenty of time on their hands and are already dreaming up the next insecticide they'll use on cockroaches.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 9:28 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good point. The voicemail system specifically invites you to "sign up for other promotional offers".
Old Oct 15, 2002, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
You'd think that instead of spending time and money on auditing everyone's DM accounts, they'd invest in providing hot towels in domestic first class!
Old Oct 15, 2002, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hindukid:
Therefore the only terms applicable would be the ones diplayed over their phone regisration system. Did they mention that it was for targetted cutomers onlyon the phone, I think not</font>
Someone give this 1L a prize, of course the phone system has no terms other than those that are created by US's performance.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:48 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
It is incumbent upon the supplier to manage his product and promotions.

USAirways allowed us (targeted and non-targeted) to register and receive these promotional bonuses. They did have the right to reject our registration, but choose to accept it. We paid for their product, based upon the acceptance of our promotional registration.

As all of us know, a major component of our choice to fly USAirways were the bonus miles. It is obvious that they waited until the end of the promotional period to pull the rug out from under this so that they could maximize their revenue from "non-targeted flyers".

You don't have to be a Legal Beagle to understand the potential for fraud here. Yes, they can take away my DMiles, but I want monetary compensation for the fares that I paid for these flights. Bait and Switch is an age old practice.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 4:23 am

Where I grew up we had an old saying regarding poor performance from a vendor -

"Don't B*tch! SWITCH!" Get it! Got it! GOOD!

I don't need the grief! But i do love a good fight! I have been faxing them copies of my reciepts from other airlines since the tier miles debacle and it seems to be suffiecently annoying enough that I have recieved a phone call from Consumer Affairs who let me vent for a good half hour! I like to remind them of the revenue they have lost to date as a result of their decisions! They are IMHO feeling the heat! It's just not hot enough! YET! We need to discuss turning up the heat! Forwarding a copy of ALL Correspondence to the BK judge seems like a plan, anyone know if it will help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.