Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Warning Regarding Targeted Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:46 pm

I don't think they have the man-power to go into everyone's accounts.

I agree with the whole post about signing up for a bonus code as being an offer... and US Airways accepted by performance! They should talk to their legal department before taking any action as they might have a lawsuit to play with if they do this...

They should simply fix the problem with their codes by enforcing registration to whose on the list. If they don't want a bunch of unhappy people, they should just admit they don't know how to run a business, fix the simple glitch, and move on with life.

It's like trying to punish a little kid who had too much fun getting candy on halloween... You don't throw their candy away --- you just don't let them go out so late next year!

[This message has been edited by bfunkjeep (edited 10-15-2002).]
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:47 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suppose they decide you deserve to have miles deducted but you have already redeemed them for awards? Margin call? No credit for future flights until you make up the shortfall? This is really silly.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:08 pm

Let's see, I guess US Airways feels it didn't upset enough loyal customers with its recently rescinded "no preferred miles for discount fares" policy. Now it's trying to alienate many of its best customers by revoking bonus offerings after persuading them to get out more and fly on particular routes.

I agree with others here that, instead of going after customers, US should clean up its obviously messy IT operations. Fixing its IT procedures will make a bigger difference in improving profitability than jilting customers. And if it does go after customers, there's little reason to believe that US will be able to accurately identify "unearned" bonuses. Inevitably, there will be lots of confused and angry people who will feel cheated by US because they responded to targeted promos only to find they have been de-qualified. This all sounds like the makings of a marketing and PR debacle.

US should consider the recent wave of preferred miles promotions as a gracious and generous way to reward and welcome new elite customers into the excellent DM program. US should turn this into an opportunity to have the elites fly and pay more to keep their status. By blaming customers, US would only provide more evidence that it lacks the managerial skills to return to solvency.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:10 pm

Programs: CO Infinite Plat, UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, US(ex-CP), VX, DL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jcrb:
Note to Mike Isom, yes I am entitled to all of the bonus miles you have given me. You and your BK airline have received plenty of my money because of them, if not for the bonuses I would have been on AA. I also expect to see the bonuses appear on all the flights that I have already ticketed, I bought them because of the bonuses, I expect to get them. </font>
I think many people would have chosen a different (non-bankrupt, non-stop) carrier if they thought they weren't getting bonus miles. Don't they understand that they need incentives right now for people to fly them? I will be waiting to see what happens to our accounts, or until an official statement comes out, before I will buy another ticket on US. Unfortunate for them, since I am a very frequent full fare business flyer, with a lot of personal discounted coach travel too. But, if I can't be sure if I will be earning (and keeping) all of my miles or if my account will be terminated, it's not worth the trouble. If this isn't a hoax, why do they keep doing things that make us want to fly other carriers? During a bankruptcy?! They should have fired someone after the last marketing fiasco.

[This message has been edited by infiniteflyer (edited 10-15-2002).]
Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:27 pm

It will be a long sleepless night wondering if a special program will run tonight to adjust accounts.

In reading thru some old threads, they did try to flag accounts 1 1/2 years ago that were targeted. You needed to be "preregistered" for the promo before they signed you up. That quickly died.

Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Dividend Miles management has asked us to post the following update, which provides clarity regarding Dividend Miles policy on this matter.

Dear Flyertalk.com visitors,

We would like to advise all members of our growing concern over the distribution of US Airways targeted promotional offers.

Targeted promotions that are sent to Dividend Miles members or our partners via e-mail or direct mail, which generally require registration, cannot be earned by anyone except the original recipient of the e-mail or direct mail program. The terms and conditions of these promotions state that only the original recipient of the direct mail or e-mail program can qualify for the promotional offer. We always clearly state promotional terms and conditions associated with each Dividend Miles promotional offer.

Unfortunately, we find that some members have continued to post these promotions that were not intended for public use on flyertalk.com and other information sources. In addition, some members have registered for multiple promotions for which they were not targeted to earn extra miles or benefits. Such practices are in violation of the terms and conditions of those promotions which state that the offers are not combinable with other offers.

We will be deducting the improperly earned miles or downgrading the tier status of any members that register for promotions that they were not on the original lists for which they were targeted by US Airways.

We recognize the open nature of flyertalk.com and other chat sites. In general, they help build enthusiasm for and interest in loyalty programs. Many of us are avid readers, but do not condone the practice of misusing or violating terms and conditions of any company's promotional offer. We appreciate your cooperation in discouraging visitors to your site from posting targeted promotions offered by US Airways.

We thank flyertalk.com for encouraging participation in the Dividend Miles Program.

The Dividend Miles Team at US Airways
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:14 pm
ATC

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
Well, maybe that can be the final word?

(I am personally shocked by these allegations, but, if true, am sure that the perpetrators feel remorse. They can demonstrate this by just simply shutting up.)
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:22 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
(edited) I'm to busy talking to the PLT desk at AA right now.

[This message has been edited by ClueByFour (edited 10-15-2002).]
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:24 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
Unless their systems are seriously antiquated, it wouldn't be all that hard (or take that much time) to figure out who registered for a targeted promotion and wasn't targeted. But I also wonder if this threat is serious going backward.

But US should really do some input-checking on their systems.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:25 pm

Programs: USAir, NW, Hilton, Marriott
Doesn't it strike you funny that no name or title is listed as to from which person this "email" was generated?

How can anything be considered enforced if the generator of the email is afraid to post his/her name and title?
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyertalk:
Targeted promotions that are sent to Dividend Miles members or our partners via e-mail or direct mail, which generally require registration, cannot be earned by anyone except the original recipient of the e-mail or direct mail program. The terms and conditions of these promotions state that only the original recipient of the direct mail or e-mail program can qualify for the promotional offer. We always clearly state promotional terms and conditions associated with each Dividend Miles promotional offer.

</font>
No, they say "valid for addressee", they do not say anything about e-mail's they do not say anything about "original recipient". We offered to register, we paid you money, you took it, we flew you gave us miles. Offer, acceptance, consideration, perfomance.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
In addition, some members have registered for multiple promotions for which they were not targeted to earn extra miles or benefits. Such practices are in violation of the terms and conditions of those promotions which state that the offers are not combinable with other offers.
</font>
We offered to register for multiple bonuses, you accepted our registrations, you accepted our money, you gave us the miles for multiple bonuses. Thus you accepted by performance of an agreement with different terms.

Also many of the bonuses listed in the promotions section of usairways.com would sometimes conflict with each other, and sometimes not. Its obvious that this restriction isn't a restriction as the way US formulates its bonuses would actually allow to be enforced..... and oddly enough, it has never been, and we all know that.

We will be deducting the improperly earned miles or downgrading the tier status of any members that register for promotions that they were not on the original lists for which they were targeted by US Airways.
</font>
I think maybe it is time to leave US, any company in BK that thinks that driving away paying customers is a productive use of their IT energies that could be spent on
a) making usairways.com have 1/2 the features of other airlines sites
b) integration with UA/MP
c) paperless upgrades so the checkin doesnt spend 10 minutes filling out little carbons to attach to my ticket..s

but I will see you in court first, if only to make me feel beter for being so foolish as to have been loyal to this company when it needed paying customers the most.

We recognize the open nature of flyertalk.com and other chat sites. In general, they help build enthusiasm for and interest in loyalty programs.
</font>
You mean they *used* to help build enthusiasm and interest in the program.....

[This message has been edited by jcrb (edited 10-15-2002).]
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Dear US Airways:

It is with great shock and dismay that I am reading the warning communicated through FlyerTalk.

I fully understand that US Airways may have intended for certain promotions to be targetted to certain DM members. However, US could have reasonably ensured that DM members who were ineligible for a particular promotion were not registered, or else have prevented the awarding of the applicable bonus. Dividend Miles elected not to take either of those steps, and instead has decided to retroactively punish its membership for egregious neglect committed by US Airways personnel. It is my reasonable contention that it is in the best interests of US Airways to recognize the increased revenue that has been (and continues to be) realized from FlyerTalkers embarking upon additional trips as a direct result of the promotional offerings and allow the accounts to remain undisturbed.

As a group, FlyerTalkers have been some of the most loyal and highest revenue-generating customers for US Airways. We have continued to patronize US Airways despite numerous service cutbacks and a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing.

As US continues its efforts to restructure, I implore the company to not hinder its progress by alienating a valuable membership base. Dividend Miles can certainly enact the modifications necessary to prevent unintended registration in the future. I sincerely hope that the company will take the most enlightened approach on this matter.

Sincerely,
Avek00
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:33 pm

Did anyone notice how this all went down after the point you could still get decent fares 14 days out to make the Oct 31st deadline for the Get Out More and the 4/8/12 bonuses?

I wouldn't be surprised if US Air knew this was going on long ago and decided not to enforce it until after many of you spent plenty of your money earning miles using these bonuses.

Couldn't this crackdown have happened in July? August? September?

I smell a rat and he's coming to eat the cockroaches.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gregg:

I wouldn't be surprised if US Air knew this was going on long ago and decided not to enforce it until after many of you spent plenty of your money earning miles using these bonuses.

Couldn't this crackdown have happened in July? August? September?
</font>
Yes they knew and yes they could have, but then they would not have gotten all that revenue that was generated by people getting out more. And is why they will find themselves in court if they take the action that has still not been announced directly in any offical manner, by any person with authority to make such a policy decision, second hand reposting of message bodies are rumor, and nothing more.

Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:44 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Here's a chant we can use...
(loosely borrowed from tonight's Simpsons rerun (where Homer is the union president))

So we'll post day and night
to the bonus code thread.
They have the miles,
But we can make them bleed red!

[This message has been edited by markbach (edited 10-15-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.