Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (United 1P, CO Gold) Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
777 Refit and New Y

Since FEB2010 is just around the corner, have United officially announced their plans for the 777 aircraft, and what kind of new config we can see with Y.

Also any word/ideas on the new seat/avod for Y?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by gujju1
Since FEB2010 is just around the corner, have United officially announced their plans for the 777 aircraft, and what kind of new config we can see with Y.

Also any word/ideas on the new seat/avod for Y?
Nothing official, but what we do know is
  • the 2-5-2 Y seat config will be changed to 3-3-3
  • Y seats will be "slim line"
  • AVOD in Y
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Madisonman39

Aside from storage space (or lack thereof), my only complaint is that you had to be almost in the full recline position to rest your feet. Sometimes I like to go only into a partial reclining position, but put my feet all the wayup.
As noted elsewhere, it CAN be done, it just requires a little bit of practice. It took me 3 or 4 flights in the new seats to figure it out.

Generally:

1) recline the seatback slightly.
2) press the bed button; the seat will recline more and move forward toward the footrest. Let it go forward a little further than where you want it to be when you are done.
3) once the seat has moved forward unrecline the seatback; the seat MAY move back slightly, but the seatback will go up more than the seat will move back
4) adjust as necessary and ENJOY!

Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: UA GS
Maybe the drop of UA954 SFO->LHR 1330/0730ish flight circa 10/01/09 was to prep it as the first 777 to be upgraded and not only will the flight return, but it'll return in an upgraded config.

They're doing upgrades in SFO, right? Might make sense.

(I can (suite)dream)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by sdbonez
Maybe the drop of UA954 SFO->LHR 1330/0730ish flight circa 10/01/09 was to prep it as the first 777 to be upgraded and not only will the flight return, but it'll return in an upgraded config.

(I can (suite)dream)
Highly unlikely. Lots of flights got dropped from the winter schedule (e.g. the 2nd SFO-FRA and SFO-NRT). Also canceling that one pair doesn't necessarily free up a plane -- the schedule tends to be much more complicated than that.

I'm guessing we see new config 777s to FRA and NRT before LHR.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
...Aside from storage space (or lack thereof), my only complaint is that you had to be almost in the full recline position to rest your feet. Sometimes I like to go only into a partial reclining position, but put my feet all the wayup.
I have been able to do that, and im a pretty short guy (and you can control the foot rest separately and make it totally flat while the back is only partial). Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Wow fail, I didn't see someone else stated the same exact thing not 3 posts before me

Last edited by UAL4life; Jan 13, 2010 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star Gold
Originally Posted by sdbonez

(I can (suite)dream)

Actually no, while SFO is the wide body base for maintenance, the actual upgrades are being done overseas. (Or it was for the 767 and the 747)

I recall when they put the first 747 new config in service they had it flying the IAD->SFO route for about a month before they actually had it start flying the real destinations. Since I was flying that route very frequently I lucked out and got to fly it. My neighbor upstairs in C was actually a United employee who is a project manager for the on board entertainment system and reconfiguration.

I believe she told me that the work was done in South Korea and that part of the work was in South Carolina of all places, but to be honest she was so h** that I don't recall too much of the conversation.

One thing is almost for sure though is that they will likely fly it between IAD and SFO for a while to "work out the kinks" since both bases regularly handle that size aircraft.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by uuacallis
Actually no, while SFO is the wide body base for maintenance, the actual upgrades are being done overseas. (Or it was for the 767 and the 747)

I recall when they put the first 747 new config in service they had it flying the IAD->SFO route for about a month before they actually had it start flying the real destinations. Since I was flying that route very frequently I lucked out and got to fly it. My neighbor upstairs in C was actually a United employee who is a project manager for the on board entertainment system and reconfiguration.

I believe she told me that the work was done in South Korea and that part of the work was in South Carolina of all places, but to be honest she was so h** that I don't recall too much of the conversation.

One thing is almost for sure though is that they will likely fly it between IAD and SFO for a while to "work out the kinks" since both bases regularly handle that size aircraft.
777 reconfiguration to be done at SFO. Our UA workers bid and recieved the contract.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by uuacallis

you were close:

763's were done at GSO (I believe at Timco)
744's were done at PUS (Busan, S. Korea/Gimhae).
as mentioned above UA's MRO is going to do the 772's at SFO.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
as mentioned above UA's MRO is going to do the 772's at SFO.
Some portion, but not all
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Some portion, but not all
What will not be done interally (of course other then the manufcaturing of the itmes)?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
What will not be done interally (of course other then the manufcaturing of the itmes)?
We were told at Fleet Week 2009 that some portion (35?) would be done internally and the rest would be external, IIRC.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Have they released or described the seat map for the 777 business cabin in any form? I looked on the SuiteDreams site and it still says "Coming Fall 2009"
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by carbonchaser
Have they released or described the seat map for the 777 business cabin in any form? I looked on the SuiteDreams site and it still says "Coming Fall 2009"

seatexpert.com
is showing the 777 new config seat maps, but whether they are "official" or not time will tell. It shows 2-5-2 in Y. For the XI version, it retains 2 lavs in F, but for the XP version, the 2nd F lav is gone.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Any inkling now that we're closer where the new config would be deployed first? I would hope ex-USA routes to/from NRT and LHR be at the top of the list.
From the 767/744 launch: FRA was near (at) the top of the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.