Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since the fleet page is already broken up, may as well make them the same.
Yeah.. I got impatient waiting for a response and just made the changes.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:08 pm

Since the fleet page is already broken up, may as well make them the same.
N794UA (XI) is scheduled to be the first one in.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by worldtrav
N794UA (XI) is scheduled to be the first one in.
Thanks. That gives us some idea on which routes could be the first to see the plane. Any idea when we'll see official seat maps (the suitedreams web site still says Fall 2009)?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
He didn't specify which year. I'd give it a good chance by August 2012...
sorry.... this year. i know... crazy. but i always manage to find something.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shadabing
sorry.... this year. i know... crazy. but i always manage to find something.
crazy? I dunno I'd say maybe: sad, pathetic, ridiculous, unbelievable would be more accurate. I just looked it up, since it was so long ago couldn't remember exactly when, but UA made the announcement of the new cabins December 2006 so.....its a pretty good bet since they haven't started the 777s yet that this December, FOUR YEARS later we will still have old C flying. Way to go UA!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 0.9MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First
New intl C Class for the 777s

Does anyone know when the new C class is going to begin being rolled out on the 777s - the website says fall 2010 - which my guess is that it will be a fall 2011 when they are done with the fleet? Has united announced any plans yet?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by 1KAndrew
Does anyone know when the new C class is going to begin being rolled out on the 777s - the website says fall 2010 - which my guess is that it will be a fall 2011 when they are done with the fleet? Has united announced any plans yet?
As per Interior Conversions (UA) - FlyerGuide Wiki, the first 777 is scheduled to go in 2/10 and be out in mid-April. That's basically 2 months for conversion. That doesn't mean every one is going to take 2 months (the 747/767 conversion time was pretty inconsistent from plane to plane), but keep in mind the 747/767 took about 3-4 weeks even at the fastest conversion rate and the 777 is presumably also undergoing replacement of the econ seats.

Ignoring the 14 that are to be converted during heavy maintenance (see this post by planemechanic) presumably at PEK/Ameco, 32 will be converted at SFO. At 2 months per conversion, even with the possibility of having multiple planes in at one time (as we saw with some of the 767s), Fall 2011 would be an extremely optimistic time for completion of the fleet... maybe not even Fall 2012. But perhaps someone more knowledgeable can fill us in.

Last edited by gengar; Jan 27, 2010 at 6:35 pm
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The first few always take significantly longer.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Since N794UA is the first 777 to go in, do we know what route that plane has been flying recently.

I guess a more relevant question is, do we have any anecdotal evidence from the 763 and 744 conversion process, meaning, when plane X was taken off of route Y for retrofit, did it go back to route Y when the retrofit was done, or did it end up elsewhere in the system replacing the next plane to go into retrofit? If we have that kind of evidence, it might tell us where the first 777 will go.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I have a May trip ORD-AMS it is listed as a 777 so I assume its old C. The UA site for conversion schedule lists a seasonally adjusted potential of lie flat seats in C. I assume this is a 767 in the off season.
If im in a non converted 777, is it worth to upgrade to F in this old config?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by mrmik
I have a May trip ORD-AMS it is listed as a 777 so I assume its old C. The UA site for conversion schedule lists a seasonally adjusted potential of lie flat seats in C. I assume this is a 767 in the off season.
I would say it is. You cant beat lie flat.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mrmik
Absolutely, IMHO the upgrade has far more value in the old config than the new one.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
The first few always take significantly longer.
The reason the first one takes so long is that they have to run a number of tests on the seats plus it has to fly for 30 days in that configuration before the FAA will grant United a supplemental type certificate to begin converting the rest of the planes.

After that, installation of the new product should take about 3 weeks per plane, give or take.

Also, a knowledgeable source posted the other day on Airliners.net (maybe a UA mechanic?) that a number of the XI models will be fitted with crew rest modules in the crown of the aircraft, making them effectively XP models and allowing for longer mission planning.

Last edited by andrewwm; Jan 31, 2010 at 4:57 pm
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
just a comment, since you're in First Class, the old F suites are still very nice and quite comfortable. The IFE isn't very good but my favorite feature of the old F suite that is missing on the new one is the "desk" that you can place a laptop on and enjoy your own IFE.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This thread will get switched or merged into the UA forum soon, so agree w/ both of the posters above. Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.