Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by why fly
YIPEE and cool! cant wait for new 777's seats
once all the 777's get re-configured, UA will be the best airline for me. right now, it's really good. But with the 777's converted, it will be the best (for me). ^
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:50 pm

It looks like they are going to be starting the 777 reconfigs soon, at SFO:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=50325
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by harperb

Nice! Keeping our local economy strong!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Great news for the Bay Area. I wonder where the other 14 are being done?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold

This is the sort of thing that I like to see! Jobs being kept in the US, without paying an unnecessary premium. Kudos to everyone involved for working this out!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

" ......to upgrade the first class and business class cabins in 32 of its Boeing 777 aircraft ....."

32 planes only? I thought there were 46 intl. 3-class planes to convert ???
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by cesco.g
" ......to upgrade the first class and business class cabins in 32 of its Boeing 777 aircraft ....."

Well one would guess that the other 14 would be updated somewhere else.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Hello I think I saw here they are starting the 777 config in February. I am hoping that my flight in Business will have the new seats. Anyone have any ideas? It puzzles me why they have this aircraft on this particular route in the first place and don't have a config 747 because of the sheer distance.
for another 4-5 months, the NRT-IAD service is operated by a 744 ... so there you'd be safe. As safe as you will get an old, crummy 777 cabin on SIN-NRT .
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Well one would guess that the other 14 would be updated somewhere else.
Would that logistically, engineering-& work-wise, make sense? Not too mention that costwise SFO came out ahead?

Either way I still hope we will see the 46 planes being done in one swoop, while appreciating the fact that the job indeed seems to get started now. ^
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Would that logistically, engineering-& work-wise, make sense? Not too mention that costwise SFO came out ahead?

Either way I still hope we will see the 46 planes being done in one swoop, while appreciating the fact that the job indeed seems to get started now. ^
Could be there is only enough funds budgeted to do 32 at this time (or that as far out in time they are willing to commit funds)

or
(Best case and probably too optimistic) SFO is capacity limited and they will have another site do the remaining 14 in parallel (but then a 50/50 split might make more sense).
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Nice! Keeping our local economy strong!
+1 ^

I'm happy that UA is keeping those jobs in house as well!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

32 airplanes are being done as stand-alone visits with no regular maintenance check due at the time those modifications are being scheduled.

The other 14 are being done in conjunction with heavy maintenance checks, either C-checks or D-checks, at one of their Asian maintenance providers. This saves United the extra out of service time for those 14 airplanes.

Considering that the 747 is normally scheduled for 21 days for the IPTE upgrade the concurrent visits, the IPTE/Heavy checks, will allow UA to fly an "extra" 777 for those additional 294 days instead of scheduling them in-house (assuming the visits are similar in length for the B777).

That is a lot of extra revenue back to UA's coffers.

Sounds like a financially sound decision.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I am not sure the increased leg room is worth it in row 33. IME, people gather there in front of your seat the entire flight waiting to use the lavatories. Then you have to listen to them, the toilets flushing and have them tripping over your legs. People are fond of walking their babies up and down the aisles and then letting them play in this area. It's just so cute when they grab your legs, or when teenagers in line for the lavs have fun opening the shade to see if it's still sunny outside which flashes light into your eyes.

Just take this into consideration. It was not a pleasant 11 hours.
You forgot the guy who can't stay quiet for more than 5 minutes and feels compelled to stand by the jumpseat talking to his travelling pals all night enjoying the imaginary stand-up bar that located in front of row 33

row 33 is fine for a 4-6 hour flight but I'd recommend e+ if your picking coach seats on an overnight flight.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:17 pm

Fantastic news to keep the jobs at SFO!

I don't, however, see any reference to "soon" -- though I am hoping it will be no later than previously reported.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Could be there is only enough funds budgeted to do 32 at this time (or that as far out in time they are willing to commit funds)

or
(Best case and probably too optimistic) SFO is capacity limited and they will have another site do the remaining 14 in parallel (but then a 50/50 split might make more sense).
I'm thinking they're doing the XC/XI in SFO, and the XP abroad. according to the flyerguide wiki there are 31 XC/XI, maybe the "test case" plane will be an XP done in SFO?

Originally Posted by planemechanic
32 airplanes are being done as stand-alone visits with no regular maintenance check due at the time those modifications are being scheduled.

The other 14 are being done in conjunction with heavy maintenance checks, either C-checks or D-checks, at one of their Asian maintenance providers. This saves United the extra out of service time for those 14 airplanes.

Considering that the 747 is normally scheduled for 21 days for the IPTE upgrade the concurrent visits, the IPTE/Heavy checks, will allow UA to fly an "extra" 777 for those additional 294 days instead of scheduling them in-house (assuming the visits are similar in length for the B777).

That is a lot of extra revenue back to UA's coffers.

Sounds like a financially sound decision.
I'm wondering if the AVOD implementation in Y will add some time to the conversion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.