Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Revised Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revised Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:56 pm

I had the exact same problem at the MCO RCC last month as a *G on an international tix. The matron was kind enough to call support after ejecting me and they told her *G were allowed. She then paged me in the terminal and allowed access. I guess they sometimes stick GA's up there who just wing it.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:24 pm

The RCC agents at MCO are the biggest goof offs that I have seen in the system so far. The last time I was there, about a month ago, the lady at the counter was on a personal phone call and continued on it while she swiped my card.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Have never had an issue getting RCC entry using my BD *G for UA and even US domestic flights out of MCO. In recent months, have also been in RCCs in ORD and LAX without any issues flying UA domestic and a couple of weeks ago was in the CO President's Club at LAS also flying on a UA domestic.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by AADC10
The RCC agents at MCO are the biggest goof offs that I have seen in the system so far. The last time I was there, about a month ago, the lady at the counter was on a personal phone call and continued on it while she swiped my card.
It has been a while since I was at the MCO RCC but that pretty much mirrors my experience. I think the person handling the front desk was just helping out as they really seemed to have no clue about the card I was giving....it was a RCC card.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA making its own rules up at EWR?

Yesterday, I flew FRA-BRU-EWR-ORD-SFO-LAS.

The FRA-BRU-EWR was on a SN-coded LH/CO operated ticket in coach and the EWR-ORD-SFO-LAS was all on a UA coded/operated ticket, upgraded using a CR-1. I'm a 1k (*Gold) with no RCC membership.

Used the lounge in FRA just fine - no time in BRU (tight connection).

Got to EWR & was initially denied (but "allowed this one time") lounge access at the RCC at EWR.

Apparently, the "new rule" (which the agent showed me - but wouldn't let me photocopy) is that United is allowing RCC club access to *G on international tickets on OUTBOUND DAY OF DEPARTURE only - NOT on return itineraries. I didn't believe her until she showed me the documentation she had. The agent told me that it's something that UA is enforcing now, most likely because they want more people to buy lounge access (her words, not mine) - and that the rules are only to allow *G customers in on their outbound international segments, not on the domestic return segments.

Move forward to SFO, the agent at the RCC club there was happy to let me in when I showed him my BRU-EWR boarding pass & 1k card.

Rules on the Star Alliance website do not indicate that it's only valid on international departures only:

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card

Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport

Customer is entitled to one guest

Continental, United, and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Presidents Club, Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
Bolding mine - It just says *A flight departing from the airport, not *A int'l flight departing from the airport.

Is UA not following the *G rules here? It seems to me that I'm traveling in conjunction with a *A international flight (yes, I was on seperate PNRs, but the agent at EWR didn't know that or even mention that) and flying on *A operated flight from the local airport...

I got into the lounge as the agent "did me a favor" - but wasn't I entitled to access?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Anyone in a position to check if S*RCC/ADMIT has been updated?

Finally get free $#%$# booze in the RCC and now I might have to fight for access once again

Hmm maybe new policy is response to free booze ...
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I was allowed access in DEN, no questions asked, transferring from an int'l flight to a domestic flight. This was about a week ago.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've been fed up with RCC for years.

This happened to me a few years ago in while transiting through LHR.

I was flying ORD-LHR on UA and then LHR to SVQ on a non *A airline.

I had a RCC membership that I paid for, however they refused to let me into the RCC in LHR because I didn't have a departing *A ticket for that day.

I could see if I only had my *G status to fall back on, but I owned a RCC membership.

Needless to say I never renewed my membership. Terrible Customer Service if you ask me.

CK
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Rules for guests at International *A lounges

Last Friday, I was departing NRT to HNL on a paid J ticket. An associate of mine was traveling to Manila on a Delta economy ticket. I told him that I could get him into the RCC via my *A Gold status. However, the moat dragon asked to see his BP, and denied him entry as he was not flying on a *A flight. From the UA website elite benefits:

Star Alliance lounges

As a Premier Executive member, you and a guest can access more than 900 Star Alliance lounges worldwide. To gain access to these lounges, show your same-day international ticket on a Star Alliance carrier departing from that airport, as well as your Premier Executive card. Look for the "Star Alliance Gold" sign outside eligible lounges.
I don't see here where it says the guest has to be on a *A flight. I argued that point, to no avail. Two other PAX, who were fluent in Japanese, also joined the argument, but the dragon was relentless. She did claim that if I was an RCC member, I could bring in any guest, irrespective of their flight plans. Sadly, I had to send him out, and his flight turned out to be 2 hours late.

Is this an actual rule? Anyone experience this before?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 27, 2010 at 5:37 pm Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
From the Star Alliance Website: (Bolding mine)

Definitions

Type of Eligible Customers

Eligible guests: International First, Star Alliance Gold and Eligible Paid Lounge Membership customers are entitled to one guest
The guest must enter the designated lounge with the eligible customer
The guest must also present a boarding card for any same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
International First Class customers: International First Class customer travelling on a Star Alliance flight

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

sdcarver
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Please see sdcarver's post above this one...

Here is how it is written in the Star Alliance Employee Guide (this is easily available on the internet..just do a search):
------------
Star Alliance Gold (SAG) Customers Travelling in Any Class
Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers’ own lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
• Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme SAG-level card
•Customermust also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliancemember carrier flight departing from the local airport
• Customer is entitled to one guest
• CO, UA and US SAG customers can only access the Continental Airlines Presidents Clubs, Red Carpet Clubs and US Airways
Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance member carrier international flight.
---------------

In general we have the understanding that the guest must travel on Star Alliance. Although this does not seem apparent from the rules.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Last Friday, I was departing NRT to HNL on a paid J ticket. An associate of mine was traveling to Manila on a Delta economy ticket. I told him that I could get him into the RCC via my *A Gold status. However, the moat dragon asked to see his BP, and denied him entry as he was not flying on a *A flight.
Based on the first post of the thread, it appears that the guest policy was modified a few years ago and the ual.com information might be a little out of synch.

It would appear that the agent was correct and properly following the rules. In my limited interactions with the NRT greeters, I have noticed they seem to be very focused on entry credentials. Not discounting what must have been a frustrating interaction, I'm wondering if it's fair to label an employee a "moat dragon" in this case...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Based on the first post of the thread, it appears that the guest policy was modified a few years ago and the ual.com information might be a little out of synch.

It would appear that the agent was correct and properly following the rules. In my limited interactions with the NRT greeters, I have noticed they seem to be very focused on entry credentials. Not discounting what must have been a frustrating interaction, I'm wondering if it's fair to label an employee a "moat dragon" in this case...
Sounds similar to the LH entry agents!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
Anyone in a position to check if S*RCC/ADMIT has been updated?
I emailed the RCC and they eventually responded that the *G access rules have not changed.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by calvink669
This happened to me a few years ago in while transiting through LHR.

I was flying ORD-LHR on UA and then LHR to SVQ on a non *A airline.

I had a RCC membership that I paid for, however they refused to let me into the RCC in LHR because I didn't have a departing *A ticket for that day.

I could see if I only had my *G status to fall back on, but I owned a RCC membership.

Needless to say I never renewed my membership. Terrible Customer Service if you ask me.

CK
There is no RCC at LHR. It's a *A lounge. If you're on a non *A flight, you have no access to the lounge. Your RCC membership doesn't work you in this case. Nothing to do with CS. Lounge rules are what they are. If you want access, make sure you qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.