Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Revised Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revised Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Under the Star Alliance rules, which may be different from how United treats its own passengers on United flights, if traveling on a business class ticket, you would be entitled to access to the Red Carpet Clubs at both airports based on your status. If you did not have *Gold status, you would not have access to the RCC at ORD as that is not an international departure out of ORD.

If you were on an F ticket, based on your status you would be entitled to RCC access at ORD. If no status, you wouldn't have access. At IAD, you would be entitled to International First Class Lounge access based on your class of service (status is irrelevant).

That's the way the rules are currently written (and how they were applied to me at IAD when I was flying UA from IAD to JFK to connect to an LX flight in F).

On an all United F ticket, however, I suspect you would get access to the IFL at both ORD and IAD.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by CJ99
Does anyone have experience with enforcement on the RCC/C-class side?
BUMP...any experiences of how UA is enforcing access to a non-gateway RCC on an international C itinerary?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJ99
BUMP...any experiences of how UA is enforcing access to a non-gateway RCC on an international C itinerary?
I have not had any experience, but the RCC still uses LoungeNET. I doubt they updated the software (even if UA intends to apply the stricter rule to their own customers). Hence, when they swipe your BP, they should get a green check mark regardless of where in the world the RCC is.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ari
I have not had any experience, but the RCC still uses LoungeNET. I doubt they updated the software (even if UA intends to apply the stricter rule to their own customers). Hence, when they swipe your BP, they should get a green check mark regardless of where in the world the RCC is.
What do agents see on their screens? Does it depend if they swipe a BP vs a RCC card?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Looks like word on the new rules is getting out.

I flew TG from BKK to SIN (only two-class available) connecting to a same-day SQ flight in F (no early morning flights on SQ any more). I have done this in the past and was always allowed into the TG F lounge at BKK. Not this time.

I was told I could use the business lounge and would be able to use the SQ F lounge at SIN.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:39 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Slightly OT but slightly confused...
International Business Class Customers:

Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.
Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international Business Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class
Customer is not entitled to any guests
In a couple weeks, I'm flying SEA-ORD-CDG with a companion, confirmed upgrade to C.

A few questions about ORD (if I were NOT an RCC member):

*Is there an alternative to RCC that I am eligible for?
*Is RCC better? (I know there is the "incomparable" new RCC)
*I am 1K but my boyfriend is GM ... will he have to wait outside?

Last edited by JonathanIT; Jan 29, 2009 at 11:49 pm
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:12 pm

First Class lounge access at LAX

Hi all,

I'm flying LH in F from MUC-LAX and then connecting on UA in F to PHX.

Will I have access to the United F lounge in terminal 7, or just the RCC?

Thanks

Last edited by macabus; Feb 3, 2009 at 12:23 pm
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
You used to, but I think the new rules say technically no. That said, I'd try the staff at the IFL in LAX is quite good you never know.

Also just so you know the LH flight will land in TBIT (otherwise known as the "um did we land in Zimbabwe or something, what is this hell hole?" terminal) so you will have make your way to T6/7.

And there is no C on a flight to PHX it'd be domestic F.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Wait a second....

You're going MUC-LAX-PHX?

LAX-PHX in F?

That's got to be CR7 ExPlus F. Free drinks, bigger seat, nothing else.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
You used to, but I think the new rules say technically no. That said, I'd try the staff at the IFL in LAX is quite good you never know.

Yeah give it a shot, worst they can say is no. I'm not sure of the current rule, but back in Sept, I flew ZRH-JFK in Swiss F, connecting to IAD in F - exact same scenario as the OP - and they invited me to the INTL F lounge without me having to ask ^
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Yeah give it a shot, worst they can say is no. I'm not sure of the current rule, but back in Sept, I flew ZRH-JFK in Swiss F, connecting to IAD in F - exact same scenario as the OP - and they invited me to the INTL F lounge without me having to ask ^
Ya I think Sept was before the new crappy rule change, seems to have changed Dec/Jan timeframe here is the FT thread about it, and its on the *A site
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-rules.html

So again I'd try, no harm in asking but wouldn't be too surprised if they turned you down.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24
Wait a second....

You're going MUC-LAX-PHX?

LAX-PHX in F?

That's got to be CR7 ExPlus F. Free drinks, bigger seat, nothing else.
It's part of an award.

I'm flying SQ F from LAX-NRT-BKK. And then TG F from BKK-CDG, LH C to MUC, and then MUC-LAX on LH F.

Crazy routing on the return, but availability is tricky.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:04 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Question IFL Access No Longer Allowed for International F to Onwards Domestic Connections?

Apologies if this had already been asked but earlier today I was traveling ZRH-(LX F)-ORD-(UA F)-IAH and attempted to access the IFL for my layover in ORD.

However upon talking with the agents I was informed the access rules had changed. At first they mentioned a special agreement existed between UA/LX/LH, but as that did not pass my smell test I asked them to go ahead and double check the profile.

Agents did that and printed out the following information:
S*UAL/INT-FIRST CLASS LOUNGE

** UNITED AIRLINES INTERNATIONAL FIRST CLASS LOUNGES **

ADMITTANCE POLICY:
PASSENGERS HOLDING INTERNATIONAL FIRST CLASS TICKETS ON ANY STAR ALLIANCE PARTNER ARE ALLOWED ACCESS TO ANY UNITED INTERNATIONAL FIRST CLASS LOUNGE *AT THAT DEPARTING AIRPORT ONLY

(emphasis added)
Anyways I'm going to assume the agent was correct in that you now have to have a departing F boarding pass to access a UA IFL and was wondering if anyone else has more info.

Oh and FWIW John Cusack was there too -- not sure how he's able to muster the strength to show his face after 2012, but I digress.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Yes, as per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-rules.html .

I will note that I have always been invited to the ORD IFL while inbound in UA int'l F and having an ongoing domestic connection. I suppose their policy may differ for those flying on *A partners.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:39 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by gengar
Yes, as per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-rules.html .

I will note that I have always been invited to the ORD IFL while inbound in UA int'l F and having an ongoing domestic connection. I suppose their policy may differ for those flying on *A partners.
Thanks for the link -- did not realize this happened back in 2008.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.