Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by John26
Just sent an email to Premier Executive Voice on this issue as well as BOB in Domestic BUSINESS Class.
I thought that meals are free again in domestic business class?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
I thought that meals are free again in domestic business class?
It's changing to free BOB on October 1st. You're confusing this with their planned test to eliminate free meals in Y on trans-Atlantic ex IAD which they later canceled.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by blueman2
Contrary to what CPMaverick's comments, acrued miles do hit UA's profitability. Each mile that we add to our accounts forces UA to recognize a potential future expense on their books.
My point is that the removalof 500 mile minimums does not provide spendable dollars right away (in time to buy seats for planes that are being installed now).

My other point is that this change is actually costing UA revenue immediately. Which is a much worse than a 'future expense on their books.'

No response from UA yet.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If it's any consolation to you, you only get those extra SWUs at 150,000 miles.
Damn! :P
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Letter to 1K Voice sent. Like ex-crew I too would like to encourage more to write - to me this is a pretty serious "enhancement" that will impact my United / US Air mix.

Dear Mileage Plus Representative,

I am writing to express my disappointment at the elimination of the 500 Mile Minimum for mileage accrual. As a 1K, I consider myself to be very loyal to United despite living in Philadelphia (home to another star alliance partner). As a result of being based in PHL I end up having to connect at Washington Dulles for many of my trips on UA. The 500 mile minimum was some sort of a compensation for putting up with the hassle of connecting at IAD - with its elimination I will now be looking at UA only for destinations that you serve non-stop (i.e. your hubs) and stick with US air for the rest. I hope United will reconsider the elimination at least for your elites as this served as the incentive in many cases to stick with United where it was not the most convenient choice.

Best regards,
sshank
00XXX XXX XXX
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:04 am

Dear Mr. gomike,
I regret to learn about your disappointment with our new Mileage Plus accrual policy.
Mr. gomike, I can understand your dissatisfaction with the elimination of 500 miles award. Please know that we are committed to refining every aspect of our service, including making sure we are meeting the needs of our most loyal guests. We do value comments from our customers and I have registered your feedback with us for information and internal review. Your suggestion will be taken into consideration during future service updates. And while I cannot make any comments, I can assure you that your voice will be heard.
As a Premier Executive member of our Mileage Plus program, we value your business. We look forward to serving you.

Regards, ********************
United Airlines Customer Relations
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Just sent an email to the 1k folks.

Wasn't really concerned with the elimination of this benefit earlier this year as I was basically just flying IAD-SFO/LAX. Now, my travel patterns have shifted drastically and I'm losing out of significant chunks of those precious little miles!

Hopefully, they'll listen to us!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
United's response. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't try to tell me that they needed to do it because of fuel prices or some such BS (as my letter clearly stated that I was sending my business to other airlines that did not cut this benefit).

Dear CPMaverick,

I appreciate your sharing as to why you have switched to AA due to our
new Mileage Plus accrual policy for flights less than 500 miles.

CPMaverick, I understand your frustration about our new policy regarding
the minimum flight Mileage Accrual. Keeping in mind of the fact that CO
has reinstated the 500 mile minimum for short flights, your comments are
duly taken into consideration. CPMaverick, customer satisfaction matters
to United. Please know that United is committed to refining every
aspect of our service; your comments are valuable to us, which is why I
have forwarded them to our Mileage Plus Department responsible for
decisions about Mileage Plus products and services our customers most
value. Your feedback will help us evaluate our decisions that impact
your choice of airline.

CPMaverick, as a 1K Member of our Mileage Plus program, we appreciate your
support and look forward to delivering quality service when you travel
with us to destinations around the world. I hope you allow us the
privilege to continue serving your travel needs.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 29, 2008 at 8:47 pm
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I think no one beats this reply!

Dear nov11:

Thank you for contacting us on the subject of 500 Mile E-Upgrades. I truly regret if our earlier response on this matter gave you the impression you would receive a follow up response.

It's true that United's senior leadership teams review comments from you and other elite customers on a regular basis. At the same time, that does not mean we will always be in a position to reverse our decisions. As you noted, in years past United offered as a courtesy to our elite members, the conversion of 500 mile upgrade to miles upon their expiration. Last year, we evaluated this policy very closely and it was determined that we can no longer support conversion of expired 500 mile upgrades into miles.

Products and services are being aligned to ensure we continue to provide you amenities that are most valued. As with any business, we consider customer preferences and our competitiveness and monitor customer feedback. Your thoughts are important to us and will help us evaluate the Mileage Plus Program going forward.

Your loyalty to United which is reflected by your 1K status is greatly appreciated. We value your business and look forward to the continued privilege of serving you.

Sincerely,
XXX
United Airlines 1K Customer Relations
Good job UA 1K CSR!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
How humbling and demeaning to earn 86 miles on my flights SMF-SFO. At least with my 1K bonus, these flights (and additional hours due to the connections now necessary with flight cancellations) equal 172 miles.

I, too, have written 1K Voice, but doubt to hear more than a canned response.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kevinsac
How humbling and demeaning to earn 86 miles on my flights SMF-SFO. At least with my 1K bonus, these flights (and additional hours due to the connections now necessary with flight cancellations) equal 172 miles.

I, too, have written 1K Voice, but doubt to hear more than a canned response.
I feel ya Kevin. I am right there with ya. It's kinda cool to be one of the few 1Ks I see milling about at check in at Sac...but since almost everything to anywhere west from here goes through SFO, it pretty much bites the big one. There isn't enough outcry about this, so I fully expect UA to continue with it.
I know...172 miles blows, doesn't it?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nov11
I think no one beats this reply!

Dear nov11:

Thank you for contacting us on the subject of 500 Mile E-Upgrades. I truly regret if our earlier response on this matter gave you the impression you would receive a follow up response.

It's true that United's senior leadership teams review comments from you and other elite customers on a regular basis. At the same time, that does not mean we will always be in a position to reverse our decisions. As you noted, in years past United offered as a courtesy to our elite members, the conversion of 500 mile upgrade to miles upon their expiration. Last year, we evaluated this policy very closely and it was determined that we can no longer support conversion of expired 500 mile upgrades into miles.

Products and services are being aligned to ensure we continue to provide you amenities that are most valued. As with any business, we consider customer preferences and our competitiveness and monitor customer feedback. Your thoughts are important to us and will help us evaluate the Mileage Plus Program going forward.

Your loyalty to United which is reflected by your 1K status is greatly appreciated. We value your business and look forward to the continued privilege of serving you.

Sincerely,
XXX
United Airlines 1K Customer Relations
Good job UA 1K CSR!
ding ding ding...we have a winner and "elvis" has left the building in mumbai. major on the part of cust relations.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Another SMF-SFO/LAX commuter just sent a comment to 1kvoice.

Lurker
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by goalie
ding ding ding...we have a winner and "elvis" has left the building in mumbai. major on the part of cust relations.
Mumbai or Bangalore?
Keep writing
Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Got the following response this morning:

Dear Ecotone,
I regret to learn from your email about your dissatisfaction with our new Mileage Plus accrual policy for flights less than 500 miles.

Ecotone, knowing that you have been with us despite the convenient options offered by our competitors, I empathize your situation and can understand your frustration. I realize how such policy change can be disappointing from your point of view and cause concern. Nonetheless, we recognize we have many complicated rules and processes associated with EQM miles. We agree some are difficult to understand, and we often review our policies.

As you are a 1K customer, you know us better than anyone, and we focus tremendously on your observations. We do want you to know that our operations teams and senior leadership spend a good deal of time reviewing comments from you and other elite customers. It's from feedback such as yours that we put together a set of improvements and, going forward, we are committed to providing you the products and services you expect, and deserve. While I can't undo the disappointment you have expressed at this point of time, I have forwarded your valuable comments to our Mileage Plus Department for their internal review and will help us evaluate our decisions that impact your choice of airline.

As a 1K member of our Mileage Plus Program, you are especially important to United and I appreciate your taking the time to let us know your thoughts. Your feedback will make a difference and help us improve our service.
Regards,
Arthur Kasomwo
United Airlines Customer Relations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.