Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 2:52 pm

I got 500+250Y class EQM and 500 + 500 Elite bonus RDM for LAX->IYK last week. United Express flight so I still don't understand that when it should be 123 each way.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It would be a good move, but when has been United been generous lately? The answer would be nil to none.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by fadeforward
I have just written to UA asking them to match CO on this, and, like many here, I really hope they do.
No...really. Guys, YOU HAVE TO WRITE A LETTER to UA on this. Here is mine that I just sent:

To whom it may concern,

In July of this year, you eliminated your award of a 500 mile minimum for all passengers. I know United views this as a cost cutting measure. You must also look at your decision to do so as a revenue decreasing measure. I predict the number of Elite level frequent fliers you have alienated and whose business you will lose since doing this will far outweigh any significant 'cost savings'.
For my past 4 years of flying with United, I have strived every year to stay loyal and to earn at least 100,000 miles flown annually. During that time, I was IAD based for my job and had little, if any, choice in other carriers to my destinations. UA's huge presence at Dulles and your convenient schedules kept me flying you from IAD. However, I recently relocated to SMF. UA is no longer the dominant carrier at my home airport and I have a multitude of choices, all within the same price range.
So, what's my incentive to stay? With the removal of the 500 mile minimums, very little. Your soft product has dwindled to being somewhat less than that of your competitors and most of them could just as easily serve my needs for destinations and schedules. If United wants me to remain loyal, they need to give me reason to do so, not by further diluting an already murky frequent flier program.
Over the next 4 weeks, I will be deciding my travel plans for 2009. Your soon-to-be flying partner Continental recently rethought their decision to eliminate the minimums for it's Elite level flyers. If United continues with it's decision on the minimums...EVEN FOR IT'S MOST LOYAL AND HIGHEST MILEAGE EARNING CUSTOMERS (i.e. - your Elites), there is no doubt that in 2009, I will begin flying your competition...LOYALLY.

Sincerely,

ExCrew
UA 1K Member
0305XXXXXXX
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:09 pm

While I am on my soap box, can someone who is 'in the know' PM me some e-mail addresses of some of the people that matter at UA? I know many of their names, but not sure of the email format at UA. I assume it's something like [email protected] ...yes?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ExCrew

^^^

(I have no idea)...but...

I have sent 2 letters, and will continue. The latest letter included reference to CO and also a copy of all flights booked AWAY from UA due to min 500 loss.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA General
Where to send the letter?

I'm in, where should I send the letter?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Sadly many many will go, (or have gone) defecting to another carrier without a word, letter or protest. Last one out turn off the lights. I'm sending an email to 1K voice that will probably be ignored. Thank you CO for seeing the light and showing appreciation to eiltes and most importantly listening.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:15 am

Well then, can we make this UA's sticky then? For saving OUR miles instead of the miles over at US. This is very important to me and countless others I am sure.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Sadly many many will go, (or have gone) defecting to another carrier without a word, letter or protest. Last one out turn off the lights. I'm sending an email to 1K voice that will probably be ignored. Thank you CO for seeing the light and showing appreciation to eiltes and most importantly listening.
Here is hoping that UA will see the light and change this. I will send a letter as well.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:55 am

Not that I want to post daily and keep bumping this, but this is an important thread to many of us. This is the difference of me getting enough accrued miles to take me back to China to see my friends. I will keep my status from segments, but my MP account is taking a huge hit here, and it's not fair. This is about how once again, United has lumped it's most loyal fliers in with 'everyone else', and in doing so, stripped away a great benefit.
I doubt many of our most vocal and frequent posters here are below Premier staus. Even though this new minimum rule might not effect you directly (i.e. - you're one of the lucky ones who don't fly the majority of your flights domestically or don't have to fly Express). But many of your sisters and brothers on here do and would love your support on this. If you haven't done so already, please take the time to write a letter. As you know, we can make a difference. Just look to the recently reversed decision to end TATL meal service.
Please write today!

Mods: Can we get this thread made a sticky until this gets reversed? Please?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Can we get this thread made a sticky until this gets reversed
Making something a sticky is the surest way to get people to ignore the thread. I know I never even look at stickies in my normal course of browsing, and I don't think I'm alone there.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Making something a sticky is the surest way to get people to ignore the thread. I know I never even look at stickies in my normal course of browsing, and I don't think I'm alone there.
What's your take on how we could make it successful then? Just keep bumping it?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
What's your take on how we could make it successful then? Just keep bumping it?
Agreed that the sticky will not help. When people contact UA it should be:
  • A phone call
  • A snail mail letter to WHQ
  • A e-mail to CS (the general address)
  • An e-mail to your respective "Voice" level

When Ft'ers do this... they should add a post to this thread... something like: "sent mine"

and if (or when) you get a reply note that in this thread. That should keep this thread fairly active.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:05 am
In Memoriam

500 mile minimums

I agree with all that has been said above. Even though I seldom fly shorter routes where the 500 mile minimum would make a difference, I think that is important for those who do to get it reinstated. So, I will be sending a letter to the 1k desk as soon as I am finished with this. Wouldn't it be nice for UA to take care of its elites, at least in this instance?!!!

wwbgd
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:13 am

Just sent email to cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.