Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
Thanks for the encouragement to actually do this. I sent an email via the CS form:

Dear United Airline Mileage Plus:

A couple of months ago you eliminated your award of a 500 minimum mileage award for all flights. I wish you would reinstate it.

To the best of my knowledge, only one airline shares your policy on this: US Air. Regarding other major North American airlines:

500-minimum award for all passengers: Alaska, American, Delta, Northwest
500-minimum award for elite frequent flyers: Continental
250-minimum award: Air Canada
actual mileage flown: United, US Air.

United Mileage Plus is out of step with the other airlines with this policy.

I suppose it is seen as a cost cutting measure, but won't it decrease revenue amounting to an opportunity loss of much more than it saves in the future? Surely some passengers, especially elite frequent fliers who travel more often, will consider flying other airlines; some will even choose other modes of transportation.

Not only does this policy subtract from my incentive to fly on United, it actually detracts from my incentive to fly at all. It is a big hassle to pack according to security rules, to get to the airport, to go through security, to deal with delayed flights or luggage, etc. Consider shorter flights such as LA to Las Vegas, San Diego, Tucson, Phoenix, San Francisco. Or even the train for SEA-PDX or SEA-YVR.

Without that "reward" of 500 miles for shorter flights, I start to seriously weigh the benefits of driving or taking the train vs. the cost of the hassle and inconvenience of flying. Or not going at all, which is easy when a trip is for fun and not business.

Knowing I would receive 500 redeemable and elite-qualifying miles got me to take a few extra trips during the year. So this policy is costing you some business. I hope you will reinstate the 500-mile minimum award for all flights.

Sincerely,
Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BonnieSEA
Thanks for the encouragement to actually do this. I sent an email via the CS form:
EXTREMELY well done! I love how you cite the facts. UA must honestly think we frequent fliers are a stupid lot.

Instead of UA responding with saying their canned crap that 'UA's policy is in line with most other carriers', why don't they just say 'Ok, the truth? We're low balling the hell out of you, and only one other s#$t can airline thinks less of you than we do and that's USAirways.'

Quit blowing smoke up my butt United!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:14 pm

why don't they just say 'Ok, the truth? We're low balling the hell out of you, and only one other s#$t can airline thinks less of you than we do and that's USAirways.'
Preceded by "We made this move after carefully weighing customer feedback" or "In response to customer demand" ...
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
And sold to us as:

"This is an exciting program ENHANCEMENT" ..................
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
AC min miles

For what it's worth - flew an LGA-YUL round trip this past weekend on AC. 324 miles each way...received 500 EQMs for each leg. The 250 mile minimum you referenced seems to imply actual EQMs for any trips between 250 and 500 miles.

I was on an S codeshare fare that mapped to an AC A fare...after a re-fare, final cost was $273. Of course...YMMV.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:12 pm

Kind of off the wall...but do the 500 mile mins effect my UA Lifetime miles? Or is it just flown miles you get credited to that portion? If it does, then this opens up a whole new can of worms!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ExCrew
Kind of off the wall...but do the 500 mile mins effect my UA Lifetime miles? Or is it just flown miles you get credited to that portion? If it does, then this opens up a whole new can of worms!
Yes -- the 500 mile minimum had applied to BIS miles
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:59 pm

flew an LGA-YUL round trip this past weekend on AC. 324 miles each way...received 500 EQMs for each leg. The 250 mile minimum you referenced seems to imply actual EQMs for any trips between 250 and 500 miles.
I poked around on Aeroplan site for a few minutes before sending that email, but couldn't find documentation on it. Several times I've received 250 miles for YXU-YYZ (Toronto-London ON, 89 miles). I bet it depends on which class you're in -- I'm usually in Tango or Tango Plus.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
By the way, I would rather United not pursue AC route and introduce fares like Tango. It sucks really bad when you can only afford cheap fares and they give you very little miles with 0 EQM.

AC policy:

Mileage Earned:
Flights within Canada and between Canada and the Continental U.S.A. (including Hawaii).

Fare Options/Booking Class, Air Canada Status Miles earned for Distance Flown, Class of Service Bonus
Executive Class:
(J, C, Z) 100% of miles flown (minimum 500) 50%
Latitude:
(Y, M, U) 100% of miles flown (minimum 500) N/A
Tango Plus:
(B, H, V, Q, L, A, S) 100% of miles flown (minimum 500) N/A
Tango*:
(R, G, P, E, N, T, K) 25% of miles flown (minimum 125) N/A
Booking Class:
(X*‡) 25% of miles flown (minimum 125) N/A
Booking Class:
(I) 100% of miles flown (minimum 500) N/A

*Aeroplan Miles and Aeroplan Flight Segments accumulated in X booking class and on Tango (R, G, P, E, N, T, K) are not Air Canada Status Miles and do not count towards Air Canada Top Tier status.

Last edited by beanex; Oct 3, 2008 at 2:09 am
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler
Here's the response I received very promptly after sending my email to 1Kvoice:

Dear Ms. pinkster:

We appreciate you taking time to express your views about restoring 500-mile minimums for elite qualifying miles and redeemable mileage accrual.

As a 1K valued customer, Ms. pinkster, your interest in United is appreciated and I will share your comments with the appropriate department. Your feedback will make a difference and will help us evaluate our decisions that impact your choice of airline.

Regards,

XXX
United Airlines Customer Relations

In order to serve you better, we would like to collect your feedback on your experience with us today. Please click on the link below to access our short survey. Use the password XXX

<https://www.intelliscaninc.net/united/>

In the survey, you will be asked for a Ref #. That number can be found at the end of the subject line of this email.

Needless to say, I went and filled out the survey - it was not positive.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes -- the 500 mile minimum had applied to BIS miles
Ok then, this means I am getting REALLY screwed. If I stay with UA under the current rules, each year, I will lose between 42,000 and 60,000 BIS miles. Which means I wouldn't hit MM status until 2020 (or beyond!) instead of 2014 like I was on track for.
Is United insane? (I know the answer to that question)
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Ok then, this means I am getting REALLY screwed. If I stay with UA under the current rules, each year, I will lose between 42,000 and 60,000 BIS miles. Which means I wouldn't hit MM status until 2020 (or beyond!) instead of 2014 like I was on track for.
Only if you and those like you actually take your business elsewhere.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 5:01 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
United is not insane to cut benefits if you keep flying them.

Move your business to someone else for short flights, if you don't you can't blame United, they are actually doing what is best for them if people keep buying tickets.

I have moved to AA for these flights and soon I will be tempted to try EXP if United does not come around.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
United is not insane to cut benefits if you keep flying them.

Move your business to someone else for short flights, if you don't you can't blame United, they are actually doing what is best for them if people keep buying tickets.

I have moved to AA for these flights and soon I will be tempted to try EXP if United does not come around.
Trust me, I have begun. 4 of my next 5 r/t flights have been booked on Alaska. I can probably say that for next year (2010), the only way I will make 1K is by accident. So strange to not see 5 or 6 upcoming trips in My Itineraries. It truly saddens me that UA thinks so little of us on this benefit.

As of late, UA has a 'you need us more than we need you' attitude. It's a shame, as nothing could be further from the truth.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:22 pm
SST

I haven't flown UA *anywhere* since the 500-mile minimum was removed. I just have too damned many flights within CA to screw around with their silly game. AA and WN are the beneficiaries; Chevron, too---I drove to a couple of destinations where UA is my only choice left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.