Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:15 am

Obviously it depends on your flying patterns, purchasing patterns, and how valuable you deem each perk. I was 2P for one year, 1P for most of last, then made it to 1K for this year. While I was able to get some upgrades with e-500s as a 1P, it did not compare to getting SWU upgrades SFO-BKK (where I am now) to C-cabin. However, I'm currently living in TED-ified PHX, so domestic upgrades don't go as for for me. Also, I never purchase C, and as a student, I don't have an employer buying business tickets for me either.

The other thing to consider is almost never having to deal with the ICC when calling United. I'll miss that as I go back to 1P in 2008.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:15 am

Hell, yes.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
The ability to upgrade is my main reason for maintaining 1K every year. However, the waived fees are getting really important, especially now that I can create, change, and cancel award tickets for free. The freedom to change award tickets is a very significant benefit.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Recommendation of a 1P happy with his status:
Go for it
- if it is only one/two additional trips/MRs away.
- if you travel a lot (1P heavy)
- if you experienced frequently the limits of 1P-ness
- if you want red carpet boarding
- because 1K will matter significantly for u/g pecking order with cutdown of u/gs at the horizon (TPAC flights!!!)

Consider critically
- if a lot of $$$/hhh input is needed
- if you feel the 1K benefits would not significantly outweigh the 1P benefits
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Robert_in_SF
I have 1P status and might be able to reach 1K this year. Is 1k status significantly better?
Very good question, and one I am sure has been asked by many others in the community (yours truly included ). I'm going to merge this thread with a previous one that details many of the benefits of 1K membership along with other member's real world experiences of those perks to help us all answer that question that burns deep within us.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
US CP researching UA 1K

Originally Posted by bseller
As for me, I'm in the happy camper camp. SWU's are extraordinarily valuable to me for TransPac's, I haven't had 'poor' service from GA's, CSR's or CSD's, and I wouldn't want to start over somewhere else. Face it: some of us are GONNA fly (cause we love to travel) - why start as a plebe on AA??
There's been a lot of discussion of US CP not worth much these days, so I've been looking at UA. The thought having to start at 1P with a status challenge and then having to fly 100K miles before reaching 1K is making me think hard.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I travel almost exclusively domestically for biz and pleasure, mostly LAX-SFO, LAX-JFK and LAX-IAD. All of my "region 2" travel are on C and F awards on other *A carriers (and no, not US)

Upgrades are nice, but they've been tough during the week. This is largely a function of the routes I fly. Upgrades during the weekend are easy, often laughably so, as I'm even seeing empty seats go out on some of these flights.

The real value of 1K to the domestic traveller really isn't the upgrades; it's in Irrops. Shooting to the top of the waitlists and speaking to a person who might actually be able to help is what its all about.

While I kinda cringe at the thought of having to fly a lot extra to make EXP (I made Plat on a quick LAX-SXM run on an I ticket), I'll do it in a heartbeat if UA takes away those two perks.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:59 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by goalie
and add me to the happy 1k camp as well
I would be in the happy 1K camp - if I could get there first (anyone have some directions to the camp....lol .

If you can get to 1K it sounds like the benefits are well worth it.

Dont worry too much goalie - hopefully something will turn up for you - in the meantime just know you are in good 2P company here on FT
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
I don't always get my TPAC upgrades, but cannot complain--I'm usually no 1 on the waitlist. It is a lot better being a 1K than not. The 1K baggage service is great--when a bag is not delivered on time. People don't fawn over me, but treat me very well. And when I don't get the upgrades there are great E+ seats.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold; Million Miler
Buying promotion from 1P to 1K? Available? Worth It?

Early this year I was 'offered' a chance to purchase miles to get from Premier to Premier Executive status. I think I was 5,000 or 6,000 miles off getting it the normal way. It looks now that I will be getting close to IK requirements this year but I will be between 5 and 10,000 miles short. Does UA offer this mileage purchase option for the transition from 1P to !K? I paid a fair fistful of dollars for the 2P to 1P earlier this year ($100 per 1,000 miles i think) - so if the option is available again for me at year end would it be worthwhile spending this kind of money?

Are IK benefits sufficiently attractive to warrant handing over big cash for the higher status? Or is a MR (or several) the better option?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is by no means any guarantee that this promotion will return, so I would recommend doing a mileage run. The differences between 1P and 1K are huge. You get six SWU's and up to eight CR1's, which can be a huge value, not to mention higher priority on waitlists.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I recently consolidated a few threads that discussed the benefits and "value" of 1K Status; I think you'll find it of value:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723120

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold; Million Miler
Thanx for the advice

Thanx guys for that advice and for the useful thread.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:54 pm

I've been 1P for a number of years and will finally make 1K later this year. Pardon me for this basic question, but in regards to upgrades - as so many of you mention transpac upgrades clearing at or near 100% as the main benefit of being 1K - are these upgrades using a SWU on an upgradable fare? (as opposed to using miles, or anything else?)

Someone also mentioned getting upgrades and buying only non-refundable fares - I thought SWUs are not good on the lowest non-refundable fare classes (except within region 1). So I'd have to buy a higher-priced ticket just for the chance of an upgrade?

Finally, are SWU upgrades for 1Ks not as easy ex-NRT and ex-SFO, due to the high numbers of 1Ks & GS at those stations?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
...Finally, are SWU upgrades for 1Ks not as easy ex-NRT and ex-SFO, due to the high numbers of 1Ks & GS at those stations?
I fly through SFO on about 80-90% of my trips to Asia, and my upgrades clear (using SWU's) about 2/3 of the time both outbound and inbound. What drags the average down is SFO-HKG, which almost never clears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.