Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by pallensf
Just to be clear, one only obtains the CR1(s) after 1) flying 10,000 BIS after having made 1k, right? It is not once you cross the 1k threshold?

Mahalo,

Patrick :-)

Joyeuses fêtes
I think you get two CR1(s) when you cross 10K BIS in the quarter that you make 1K. The miles don't have to be flown after making 1K. Unfortunately you don't get them for earlier quarters in the year.

This just happened to me, I made 1K a few weeks ago and received my first CR1(s) for the year. I have not flown 10k BIS since making 1K, but I have flown 10K BIS miles since Oct 1. The same thing happened to me a few years ago when I let 1K slip and then became a 1K during the course of the year.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not raining - thank god!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Baertracks
After four years of being a 1K (including at least one year with being a 150+ 1K) isn't it possible (likely?) that UA will allow you to keep your 1K status for a "grace period" of one year during 2010? I would if I was UA! ..
Why not? They give 1K to folks who fly next to nothing, so giving it away for nothing isn't going to change that picture much .

I see it very much like nigos did. Only that I as a 1K MM also missed out on upgrades from full fare tickets this year, so maybe my view on 1K is even more gloomy.

1K was always worth it. Then for the treatment and for the upgrades and today for the super low price one can get it.

However 1K is no longer worth it for those who spend a lot of money on flying. And miles beyond the 125K EQM threshold is pearls to the pigs. For low spenders it now is a nearly ideal program: high waitlist priority and fare level independent upgrade chances on intl trips.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, 1k isn't worth it for me. Three reasons, the first two are upcoming:

1. The new copay on international flights on MH upgrades, when made for miles.

2. Elimination of confirmed domestic upgrades except with outrageously high FF miles and copays, especially on ps.

3. No flat bed seats in biz on close to 50% of UA's international fleet, particularly on routes out of SFO.

As I've noted in other threads, in 2009, I moved 3 international RT Z trips to other carriers and still made 1k. In 2010, I no longer will even make the effort to reach 1k for the first time in more than 10 years.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm in a similar boat to RichardinSF. A big additional factor for me is that even the SWU isn't worth what it used to, since over the past year or two it's become much harder to get a confirmed upgrade at time of ticketing. You usually have to pay the lottery of seeing whether you clear, which for a long international flight is something I'm not prepared to do. Yet another factor, as someone else pointed out in this thread, is that even for 1Ks UDUs are likely to translate to No DUs unless you're paying a high fare (and even then, of course, they're not guaranteed.)

As I've detailed in a comparison in a separate thread in this forum, my higher FF priority for next year will be to make AA Exec Platinum. Maybe I'll also shoot for 1K, but that's far from certain and I may just fly Jet Blue (which offers better legroom and IFE than E+) or other alternatives for trips that AA isn't right for.

Moderator's Note - The new thread is here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-11-posts.html

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.