Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by DimSum
I submit that if they changed their business model, they might increase elite flyer loyalty. Whether that makes a difference in their bottom line or not is debatable, but it seems like it would be a lot cheaper than upgrading International C.

Here's a related question, what if 1K's were sent to the ICC, etc. and only GS members got special services (like US call centers, etc.) BUT, what if GS received super-elite benefits (like guaranteed no-waitlist using SWU's and stuff). Would you support that? I would! Even though I'm only 1K! I'd try pretty hard to qualify for GS, though! If that meant flying my a** off (figuratively or literally) on UA Metal, then I would!
Definitely not supported ... I don't think you get what GS is all about for UA. It's not an "I fly a lot" program, it's an "I spend a lot" program and it's totally targeted on the top couple/few percent most profitable customers that UA has.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Definitely not supported ... I don't think you get what GS is all about for UA. It's not an "I fly a lot" program, it's an "I spend a lot" program and it's totally targeted on the top couple/few percent most profitable customers that UA has.
Okay, pretend I said, "I'd spend my a** off" instead of "fly".
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Had thought that this 1K (nearly a MM) UK based flyer treated well for the many years been 1K ,LHr staff always looked after me, op-up on many occasions (even with guests !) even treatment out of SFO,MEL and SYD been excellent past year (checking in First Class,cabin crew etc) My motto - be nice !
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly

1K's are second-class citizens. UA has made it very clear. There's no crying in baseball.
Sorry, please do not speak for me.

They certainly have NOT make that clear to me. Ever. Never mentioned it. Never hinted at it. In words or actions.

Nor made clear to most/all others on this thread by my reading of it. @:-)

EVERY transpac upgrade I have ever waitlisted for has come thru. EVERY one for 7 years as a 1K. 100+ I'd guess.

No-one has ever said or inferred or imputed - "sorry no upgrades for 1Ks today Buddy" - as the upgrades have all cleared.

That'll do me just fine, as well as the superb treatment last month outlined in post 3. Impossible to beat that kind of service IMHO.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701981
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Was your name/handle mentioned anywhere in my post? I posted it; hence it is my opinion/view/take on it.

Please don't speak for me.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never knew my airline status determined my rank in society!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I never knew my airline status determined my rank in society!
For some of us, airports are, unfortunately, "society".
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by ozstamps

They certainly have NOT make that clear to me. Ever. Never mentioned it. Never hinted at it. In words or actions.
You have not come up against the red sign that reads "International First and United Global Services Only". Since everything is fair in Love, War and Frequent Flyer programs, it isn't the end of the world, but as a 1K, I must admit it ticks me off somewhat.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP

1K's are second-class citizens. UA has made it very clear.
Made it clear? To whom? UA hasn't done anything that I can recall to make me feel second-fiddle to anyone. I used to think I was being jipped by UA for not being considered for GS, but honestly that was more me wanting to have the highest status possible - not necessarily because I felt my current 1K status was being significantly devalued.

I regard GS folks as VIP's... even when 1K was the only status available, there were always people treated "more special" for any variety of reasons. If UA ever sees fit to give me GS status, then super. If not, I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out on some more supreme level of service. They haven't taken away any 1K perks and given them to GS members that I am aware of, and I'm still treated like a king when things go wrong, which is the most important "perk" to me.

There's not enough GS members flying to negatively impact my travel experience in any way - at least, they haven't so far.

- T
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:43 pm

Perhaps to avoid the on-going ping-pong match, we can all just agree that:

1. Some 1K's are not impacted by the existance of a GS tier, and

2. Some 1K's are.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
1K's are second-class citizens. UA has made it very clear. There's no crying in baseball.
That is just WRONG. We can discuss whether 1Ks are treated as well as they should be. We can discuss the merits of the program, but UA has made it very clear 1Ks are a valuable customer. They may not be as valuable as some GS flyers, but clearly UA treats 1Ks better than the average customer. If 1Ks are second class citizens then 1P is 3rd class citizen and 2P is 4th class citizen? I think the only true second class citizens may be the general members without any status.

It continues to amaze me how people can be so negative about UA. I think there is a faction on flyertalk that have to find the grey cloud in every silver lining:
New F & C - Less upgrades in the future
New red carpet boarding - Doesn't help 1Ps
UA shows good profits - means UA is spending enough on planes, employees, etc
UA create enhanced services for their best revenue customers (i.e. GS) - We 1Ks are getting shafted

I get a good value on UA - I am a happy 1K - I think it is still better than any of my alternatives(AA,WN) - if UA were gone tomorrow, I would be worse off. They are not perfect, and there are areas that need improvement, but as long as UA continues to treat me well, I think my status matters and they EARN my business.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:32 pm

Yesterday, I flew from ICT-IAH on CO enroute to SAT. I have no status on CO. Endured multiple flight cancellations on the IAH-SAT leg that was originally supposed to depart at 8:50am. After rebooking (twice) they wanted to send us out at 5:29pm! Passengers with status on CO were being sent on much earlier flights. Ended up canceling that segment and driving to SAT.

The point being that problems occur with every airline and it makes a huge difference whether you have status as to how you are treated. I have been very pleased with being 1K.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Look at it this way. Imagine what life would be like if one were a third class citizen?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle
After reading the majority of these posts, I am looking forward to making 1K this year for the first time.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by avanpelt
After reading the majority of these posts, I am looking forward to making 1K this year for the first time.
Welcome to the "club"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.