Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
I have been generally pleased by E+, the 1K lines at the counter and elite security lines, states based CSR, the red carpet, waiver of various charges, handling of irregular ops, and a good percentage of cleared upgrades. On the other hand, few GA's, FA's, or CSR's have made extra efforts for me.

My immediate concern is the reduction of F seats on the 757's. I am sure I will be sitting in E+ on transcons far more often. The reduction in international C seats is also a concern.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:40 pm

treated superbly, also

engine problems in shanghai in march, and the staff couldnt have treated me better. went out of their way to find me a comfortable seat on an alternate carrier, bent over backwards to make sure i made all my connections and got upgraded seats as well.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I never knew my airline status determined my rank in society!

Only on FlyerTalk have I ever seen so many people proud to be one of a vendor's "most profitable customers!"

I never, ever want to be known as a vendor's most profitable customer. I want to be a good customer and to have a mutually beneficial relationship, but never "most profitable"--that sounds much too close to "biggest sucker."

As a 1K, I feel like I'm part of such a mutually beneficial relationship. I feel appropriately rewarded and valued. I really enjoy the benefits and treatment as a 1K. I'm not lobbying for anything (other than a new business class seat that I'll actually be able to fit into! )

Now, if UA decides to change that model and just go after the big spenders, they may do so. I won't cry, but I also won't stick around. For UA's sake, I just hope it's true about one being born every minute.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robb

Only on FlyerTalk have I ever seen so many people proud to be one of a vendor's "most profitable customers!"

I never, ever want to be known as a vendor's most profitable customer. I want to be a good customer and to have a mutually beneficial relationship, but never "most profitable"--that sounds much too close to "biggest sucker."

As a 1K, I feel like I'm part of such a mutually beneficial relationship. I feel appropriately rewarded and valued. I really enjoy the benefits and treatment as a 1K. I'm not lobbying for anything (other than a new business class seat that I'll actually be able to fit into! )

Now, if UA decides to change that model and just go after the big spenders, they may do so. I won't cry, but I also won't stick around. For UA's sake, I just hope it's true about one being born every minute.

^^^^ Perfectly stated robb!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I completely agree with you Robb. In the meantime, we're enjoying the ride.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have been a 1K since November 1994 via UA status bump (gift). I have seen much with the M+ program and how 1Ks have been treated and have to say that the treatment today is not what it was like 10, or even 8, years ago. 1Ks were treated as the Global Service members are today. I was also Global Service 3 of the first 4 years that GS has been in existence. I was downgraded to 1K this year after being GS and am thankful since I will now be a 1P from 2008 and beyond.

That said, it is the little things that GS membership offers that is not what is being offered to 1K membership. Personalized attention from a person, not a recording or someone who knows less about the benefit of being 1K than you do is what GS offers. Also, the GS center is in Detroit and not in a far off land. The greatest benefit of GS, from what I received, is that they took care of every issue for you. Also, they were able to magically unlock a seat upgrade that was held by the infamous inventory control. Upgrades magically cleared as GS when they have not for me as 1K this year.

Make no mistake, GS service is tremendous and is what 1K used to me, for the most part. For those who love being 1K now that is great. I, too, love being a 1K. This level is still very good and the service is not too bad.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I believe I was one of the earlier 1Ks when it was introduced in 1994. The services in the first three years of 1K was outstanding. Then in 1997 when UA started introducing the current C seats and phased out 741 and 742, I got a call from my local station manager inviting me to be part of an elite group...not sure the exact name but it was 1K+ in substance. I was invited because my travel was almost exclusively paid international transpac C every other month, and I was also in charge of negotiating my company's travel policy. I got almost all the same treatments that have been offered to the current GS (including using SWU to upgrade awards itineraries originated at my local station). I was told by the local station manager that UA wanted to keep and reward premium cabin paying passengers. The introduction of the C seats in 1997 was one of the first step to win back premium passengers ( sounded familar to the recent news on the new seats...10 years later!!!)

Yes, 1K status has been diluted. But, it did not happen because recent introdction of GS. The concept of attracting and rewarding premium cabin paying passengers was around 10 years ago. Yes, some 1k members had been more special than other 1K members before GS and may be prior FT days.

14 years later since I first made 1K, I am still a 1K and also made MM in the process. I have come to realize airlines status is only as important as one wants it to be. It is not really a big deal in the greater scheme of things.

Airlines status creates a sense of importance, entitlement and sometimes it makes someone feel very special. So what?.... I still get yelled at by my wife when I come home, and there is alway someone higher up in my organization that can determine my fate

All those times flying around is essentially just an escape from reality.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
The Mrs and I just returned from SIN (In C on the 777s).

Does 1K make a difference?

Some examples. On the SIN-NRT leg, we got switched from a 777XP to 777XC, hence lost our 8H and 8J - wouldn't put us in the closet! Reseated at 15H and 15J - not bad, although we prefer the front mini-cabin. For the snack before NRT, they ran out before they got to me (I guess I was last), so the FA brought me the F menu and asked me to make a choice. A delicious pasta dish as it turned out. Score one for 1K.

On our outbound IAD-SIN, the FAs treated me and the Mrs (a lowly 2P) extremely well, with prompt, efficient and generous attention.

Both the NRT-SIN and SIN-NRT legs were SIN-based crews. Absolutely terrific service. One reason we enjoy going to SIN on holiday - everyone is so polite and wishing to be helpful!

Where 1K makes no difference...

Flew TranStates ER4s EWR-IAD and IAD-EWR. The Mrs likened it to riding on a bus - couldn't disagree. The ER4 IAD-EWR was particularly shabby. No beverage service on either flight.

Immigration and Customs at IAD C Concourse. OK, so maybe it's not all UA's fault, but this is the pits. Total chaos this afternoon with the line snaking for over 100 yards at both immigration and customs. The "Priority" tags meant very little as one of our bags was one of the last to hit the belt. There are no "elite" lines at IAD. The limitations of the "temporary" C Concourse are never more apparent than trying to navigate I&C between 3 and 5 PM. We would have missed our connector to EWR except our ER4 had a flat tire and was delayed about 20 minutes.

Contrast this with I&C at SIN (Changi). No lines, no waiting - we flew through immigration. Not only that, our bags were already on the belt when we got to customs. Marvelous.

The A Concourse at IAD. Not only are the GAs oblivious to status fliers, they seem to relish in boarding everyone at once - completely ignoring the "Seating Area" drill. They also appear to enjoy treating all pax like cattle.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by avanpelt
After reading the majority of these posts, I am looking forward to making 1K this year for the first time.
ditto...1P has been fun so far ... nicer CSRs ^
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum 1 MM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'd say of course it does. Almost 100% on upgrades this year (I missed a IAD-GRU and it annoyed me, but unless I bought a C seat, I can't complain if the flight is full). Priority on the stand by, rebooking during iregular ops when there's no seats available, etc. If I was 1P or 2P or not at all, I don't think I could say that.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:36 pm

nothing to do with being 'proud' ; simply answering the question as to whether it made any difference. and i reaffirm that it has made a big difference in my experience but then, i am almost always flying internationally and maybe that accounts for it.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by robb
UGS = United's Greatest Suckers
UGS = Unnecessary to Game the System

...just trying to be fair
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG/Hyatt/Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
I'd have to say that I'm in the "Happy 1K" camp. I'm on the third year of being a 1K and upgrades always come through, even on A319 and small F cabin flights. I have been thanked numerous times for "being an important customer" and several times staff has done special things to accomodate me (Ex. made room for my bags when I just made a flight last second, thus sparing me from checking). Also, the 1K line phone staff has been great to both me and my 2P wife. Once in a dispute over a targeted promotion in which UA "lost" my properly submitted signup, they awarded me the prize without too much hassle on my word alone.

All that said, sometimes the 1K status seems not to matter much. But more often than not, it is definitely worth it.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I'm afraid I'm in the unhappy-1K camp. I remember when 1K's had 1K rooms to help with irregular ops, upgrades etc. Those people really helped me out on numerous occasions, inclyuding one where we went through 3 747's before they could find one that would work!

They're gone now, and if even if you pay up for RCC, you get a check-in agent who has no clue what they are supposed to do, and why perhaps they should help you a little bit more.

I find no better in-flight service as a 1K, usually just getting the first meal choice is enough.

In the UK we don't get access to the 'good' agents and have to phone India at all times.

The Red Carpet at the gate makes not much difference and after the changes to check-in for 1K's (moving us down to Business check-ins), I'm waiting for us to be moved to the non-red side of the gate.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I was 1K in 2005 (I fell to 1P since then). I mostly flew transatlantic flights, and during that year I flew in intl business class 90% of the time and never paid for it. Some of this was from my 6 SWUs and the rest were op-ups. I was certainly very satisfied with 1K for this reason alone. When there were problems I felt that I was treated very well and better than when I was 1P or 2P.

I can see this year being about 20k short of making 1K. I could make the effort for it with some mileage runs, but frankly from reading messages on FT it seems that 1K isn't worth it anymore. Perhaps that's a misconception based on the fact that people tend to complain much more than they compliment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.