Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I tried to stand by for an earlier flight last night. I was connecting from HNL in SFO. The agent in SFO said that since I had checked luggage on the later flight that they could not allow me to standby for the earlier flight. He said that it was a security issue and I could not choose to go on a flight prior to the one my bags are tagged on. In the end, they managed to locate my bags and put me on the earlier flight.

I have since talked to one person at UA that says that this policy about flying with your bags is only required on international departures and should not have been an issue on my domestic UX flight from SFO to SBA. In other words, I should have been able to fly without my bags on the earlier flight if space were available. The agent shouuld not have made an issue of it. Anyone know what the real answer is?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Thanks for the great follow-up questions, folks. And thanks to rcs85551 for posting the applicable UA profiles.

I've updated the original post to reflect new questions.

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I repeat, should be in the United FAQ sticky.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Can you do a $25 confirmed standby over the phone if you are already checked-in for your ticketed flight?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:13 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ozweepay
Is this really the priority wants to adopt here? Someone who will give UA $300 for the whole year gets a seat over someone who gives UA $50,000 in that same year?

Or am I missing something?
Well, the UGS member probably is traveling on a full-fare ticket and thus would be able to confirm the change without paying $25 ... I would wager that most UGS have a much higher ratio of full-fare tix to discounted economy tix than the average UA elite
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
Originally Posted by exerda
Well, the UGS member probably is traveling on a full-fare ticket and thus would be able to confirm the change without paying $25 ... I would wager that most UGS have a much higher ratio of full-fare tix to discounted economy tix than the average UA elite
Ok, how about a 1K who spends $13,000/yr (on average) and who is beaten to the punch by a GM who pays $25 to confirm.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:31 pm

Great thread!

So according to the UA rules, if I have a 5PM ATL-ORD-LAX, could I call UA at 9AM, pay $25, and get the 2PM ATL-ORD-LAX (assuming there will be space)?

Last edited by ual744777sta; Jan 25, 2006 at 4:43 pm Reason: I had to ask a question.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Great thread!

So according to the UA rules, if I have a 5PM ATL-ORD-LAX, could I call UA at 9AM, pay $25, and get the 2PM ATL-ORD-LAX (assuming there will be space)?
no.

But you could call at 10
Old Jan 25, 2006, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by exile2k
no.

But you could call at 10
But here's an excerpt from the UA rules (internal):
CSR ATO PROCEDURES:
1. CUSTOMER MAY CONFIRM ALTERNATE FLIGHT WITHIN 4 HOURS
OF CSR CONTACT.
EXAMPLE 1: CUSTOMER WITH A 6PM FLIGHT CAN CONFIRM A
1PM FLIGHT IF CSR CONTACT IS MADE AS EARLY
EXAMPLE 2: CUSTOMER WITH A 7AM FLIGHT ARRIVES AT THE
AIRPORT 9AM...CSR CAN CONFIRM A FLIGHT
BETWEEN 9AM-1PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:09 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
But here's an excerpt from the UA rules (internal):
CSR ATO PROCEDURES:
1. CUSTOMER MAY CONFIRM ALTERNATE FLIGHT WITHIN 4 HOURS
OF CSR CONTACT.
EXAMPLE 1: CUSTOMER WITH A 6PM FLIGHT CAN CONFIRM A
1PM FLIGHT IF CSR CONTACT IS MADE AS EARLY
EXAMPLE 2: CUSTOMER WITH A 7AM FLIGHT ARRIVES AT THE
AIRPORT 9AM...CSR CAN CONFIRM A FLIGHT
BETWEEN 9AM-1PM.
That's consistent with what exile2k posted. You can confirm a flight within 4 hours of CSR CONTACT. Something got cut off of example 1 in your post, as it really should have finished "... as early as 9AM."
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Valencia VVIP, Hertz President Cirle
New rule

Just tried a confirmed standby, I'm a PremExec, on an oversold flight that is -1 capacity, but still selling seats. She read me a new RSSR #2 (from the UA profile, fits between the posted #1 and #2) that requires capacity to be there, can't standby on an oversold. So I proceeded to explain this is devaluing UGS/1K/PremE because if there's capacity, we'll make it on anyway without the $25, and this $25 is essentially allowing a GM to buy status for the purpose of standby. For a non-bag-checkin flight, it's useless to me, I make flights even when overbooked, never missed a standby that was under capacity (and now could be at risk because of those paying $25).

For those traveling with bags, this is still huge.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:14 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Standby for first flight next day?

If I'm on the last red-eye out (say LAX-IAD), and instead want to catch the first flight out THE NEXT DAY, is it possible to get confirmed standby on the next flight or do I need to go through 'missed flight' policy?
great thread!
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Well, I guess we heard a little bit of what _other_ airlines do, but with Continental, I can go to a kiosk and get confirmed on an earlier flight any time ont he same day for FREE. I dont know what the capacity rules are in that scenario but it certainly beats United charging for it.

I would think that in cases where there is plenty of space that confirming you well in advance should be common good faith/customer service. Charging for it is bogus.

I need to do this for tomorrow, so was researching it abit. I was thinking that at least as Premier they will be nice enough to look for an E+ seat for me on the earlier flight as soon as I get to an airport _without charge_. Looking at this, I guess not, they will ask for $25, at which point I can say Pffftt walk though security and ask again at the gate and they will probably give me a seat since the flight availability is showing x9's across the board. As to whether I get E+ it will depend on what the seating looks like at whichever time they decide to give me the seat. Maybe later is better due to people clearing upgrades (of which there are plenty available this flight). Of course if I get a crappy E- seat maybe I will do an upgrade...

I'll test it tomorrow at the Premier counter at IAD and again at the gate and see who's nicest
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:57 am

Upgrades within 4 hours after paying $25?

Let's say I am on the 11am and I need to go later. I call up and cancel my flight so my e-ticket stays active.

At 2pm I call for the 6pm. It is open and the agent confirms me for $25. If NF is available, will they also upgrade me?

Let's look at it with the 500 mile e-upgrades, sales upgrade, confirmed regional or systemwide.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by chuck1
Let's say I am on the 11am and I need to go later. I call up and cancel my flight so my e-ticket stays active.

At 2pm I call for the 6pm. It is open and the agent confirms me for $25. If NF is available, will they also upgrade me?

Let's look at it with the 500 mile e-upgrades, sales upgrade, confirmed regional or systemwide.
Absolutely, and that is one of the main reasons that you get sucked into paying the $25. With a confirmed seat, you can take your place on the upgrade list and phone Res can confirm you in right away. Type of support doesn't matter.

HOWEVER, remember that all seat assignments are under airport control at 6 hours out. Therefore, phone res will ot be able to give you a seat. So, if you have problems with bulkhead seats, be careful. All of this could be a waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.