Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgraded UA long-haul, charged miles but...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, VS Silver, BA Gold

Hi everyone

Long-time lurker, seldom poster. I've searched the boards for a question similar to mine and haven't found the answer, but please direct me if this has been asked before.

I'm currently 1P with a very healthy amount of EQM already this year. I've had two UA long-haul international flights this quarter where I've put it for an upgrade from economy to business with miles and co-pay, and while the miles have been deducted in these two cases at the time of booking, I was never charged the co-pay when the upgrade came through at the gate--on fare classes that should be charged co-pays.

The first time this happened, I was originally on a flight that was cancelled, and the next flight wasn't until 24 hours hours later. It was a totally packed flight, but I didn't hang around the gate much to know if they were looking for volunteers to be bumped so I can't say if it was truly oversold and if I was more an op-up than a miles & co-pay passenger. I can tell you that the two people sitting next to me in business had also been upgraded from coach, and my memory is that they had status, but that I had flown more than both of them already this year.

The second time this happened, the flight was definitely oversold, the gate was chaos, there was a huge standby list (40 people?) and they were asking for volunteers until about 20 mins before boarding. So I can rationalize that maybe I was an op-up. Also, when I got to my seat, I asked the two women next to me how they got upgraded, and they had absolutely no status, but had used miles + co-pay and the upgrade came through at the gate.

So my question...do you think it's more likely that I was operationally-upgraded for both flights, and UA has forgotten to return the miles so I should call and ask for them back? (And is it just a simple matter of calling the 1P line and saying "Give me my X0,000 miles back?) Or do you think UA forgot to charge me the co-pay?

Any thoughts would be great. I should note that also this quarter, I've had 4 other international segments were I was charged the co-pay at the gate and received the e-receipt by the time I made it to the other side so it's not like this happens all the time.

Last edited by kristainlondon; Jun 26, 2011 at 5:46 am
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kristainlondon
So my question...do you think it's more likely that I was operationally-upgraded for both flights, and UA has forgotten to return the miles so I should call and ask for them back? (And is it just a simple matter of calling the 1P line and saying "Give me my X0,000 miles back?) Or do you think UA forgot to charge me the co-pay?
I'd say don't be greedy. You requested an upgrade and you got one. It doesn't matter at all how the upgrade went through - you've already come out way ahead of where you should have been.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd say don't be greedy. You requested an upgrade and you got one. It doesn't matter at all how the upgrade went through - you've already come out way ahead of where you should have been.
I definitely agree with this. Who is to say if you call back and push for the you were op-up'd angle they wouldn't turn around and say, actually you weren't and then charge your card. You got what you wanted for less than you thought, smile and thank the good lord.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Don't worry, be happy.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
just in case you need it, one more vote for 'be grateful the upgrade cleared and keep your mouth shut.'
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kristainlondon
Hi everyone

Long-time lurker, seldom poster. I've searched the boards for a question similar to mine and haven't found the answer, but please direct me if this has been asked before.

I'm currently 1P with a very healthy amount of EQM already this year. I've had two UA long-haul international flights this quarter where I've put it for an upgrade from economy to business with miles and co-pay, and while the miles have been deducted in these two cases at the time of booking, I was never charged the co-pay when the upgrade came through at the gate--on fare classes that should be charged co-pays.

The first time this happened, I was originally on a flight that was cancelled, and the next flight wasn't until 24 hours hours later. It was a totally packed flight, but I didn't hang around the gate much to know if they were looking for volunteers to be bumped so I can't say if it was truly oversold and if I was more an op-up than a miles & co-pay passenger. I can tell you that the two people sitting next to me in business had also been upgraded from coach, and my memory is that they had status, but that I had flown more than both of them already this year.

The second time this happened, the flight was definitely oversold, the gate was chaos, there was a huge standby list (40 people?) and they were asking for volunteers until about 20 mins before boarding. So I can rationalize that maybe I was an op-up. Also, when I got to my seat, I asked the two women next to me how they got upgraded, and they had absolutely no status, but had used miles + co-pay and the upgrade came through at the gate.

Any thoughts would be great. I should note that also this quarter, I've had 4 other international segments were I was charged the co-pay at the gate and received the e-receipt by the time I made it to the other side so it's not like this happens all the time.
UA will research the issue, your record will indicate that there is an uncollcted copay and depending on how the individual UA CSR is feeling when s/he does the research, you either will or won't be charged the copay (remember, they have your credit card and the t&c allow them to put the charge through).

If I were you, I would be very happy that I got an UG for a lot less than it might have been, and leave well enough alone.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, VS Silver, BA Gold
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I asked first. I figured I was probably just lucky and it was better to accept it and move on, but there was part of me that wanted those many thousands of miles back for future use. I'll open a 2nd United Visa instead. Heck, maybe even a 3rd to even things out. (That's a joke. I don't need any more credit cards.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.