Community
Wiki Posts
Search

West Coast to IAD - any 767s after 12 pm?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paullevi
If you are thinking about F or an upgrade, the 757 is MUCH better than the domestic 767-300. The domestic 767 has the narrowest F seats in the whole fleet and almost every seat has an obstructed footwell.
And I rarely miss upgrades on 752s... yes, the ghetto-bird 763 has a slightly better F:Y ratio (by about 1%), but for whatever reason, seems like my 763 u/gs almost always go to the gate and/or fail.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
... seems like my 763 u/gs almost always go to the gate and/or fail.
yes my one and only 763 SFO-IAD this year I was 16th of 104 when F full.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
I don't remember the flight number, but I flew SFO-IAD twice last year, once in spring and once in the fall, and both times were 3 class 777s.
Was it in the morning somewhere between 7am-8am? if yes, it probably was UA914
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
Both were in the early afternoon around 1 p.m. or so. I just remember being upgraded from a z fare to F through UDU even as a 1P.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes my one and only 763 SFO-IAD this year I was 16th of 104 when F full.
That reminds me of my ORD-DEN flight where I was 100th of 180 or so. Thursday evening flights
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Both were in the early afternoon around 1 p.m. or so. I just remember being upgraded from a z fare to F through UDU even as a 1P.
Chances are it was irrops and an a/c swap (in your favor ) as the only scheduled widebody flights SFO-IAD/IAD-SFO are 914/915
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
SFOTurtle is not making things up. In April 2010 I flew UA 873, a 3-class 777, on the 12:50 SFO-IAD flight. There was no NC when I booked but my CR1 cleared within 24 hours. I don't know when they switched it to a smaller plane. (Right now it's UA 847 operated by a 757.)
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
SFOTurtle is not making things up. In April 2010 I flew UA 873, a 3-class 777, on the 12:50 SFO-IAD flight. There was no NC when I booked but my CR1 cleared within 24 hours. I don't know when they switched it to a smaller plane. (Right now it's UA 847 operated by a 757.)
I didn't say SFOTurtle was making things up but rather that the only regularly scheduled widebody flights to/from SFO-IAD are 914 & 915 with anything else being an a/c swap (which as we all know can be for that one day's flight or for a few weeks to a month [or longer])
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I didn't say SFOTurtle was making things up but rather that the only regularly scheduled widebody flights to/from SFO-IAD are 914 & 915 with anything else being an a/c swap (which as we all know can be for that one day's flight or for a few weeks to a month [or longer])
Goalie, I think you are being a little disingenuous here. I don't really think it is fair to say 'anything else is an ac swap' when it could last for up to 3 months or more.

Clearly 'regularly scheduled' as a phrase can mean just about anything, depending whether you are talking the last 3 months or the last ten years. But I don't think most people would regard a 3 month scheduled use of a 3 cabin plane as just an aircraft swap, even though you clearly would:-)
Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Goalie, I think you are being a little disingenuous here. I don't really think it is fair to say 'anything else is an ac swap' when it could last for up to 3 months or more.

Clearly 'regularly scheduled' as a phrase can mean just about anything, depending whether you are talking the last 3 months or the last ten years. But I don't think most people would regard a 3 month scheduled use of a 3 cabin plane as just an aircraft swap, even though you clearly would:-)
But of course I would

Now in terms of an a/c swap lasting 3 months or more, there is this thread which made for some interesting rides for a lot of "us" . All I'm trying to say w/r/t SFO-IAD/IAD-SFO is that there is only one widebody flight in each direction on a regular basis (i.e. that is what is published)
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would take a 319 or 320 before a 2-class 767 and a 757 certainly before a 2-class 777. The only domestic 3-cabins at IAD are repositioning (sometimes for days at a time).
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also meant to say earlier that UG on transcon to/from IAD-LAX/SFO is rough these days. Rebounding DC economy means significant #'s in paid F and certainly A. You can sometimes snag A for a minimal amount more than Y and I would grab it if you can find it.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Also meant to say earlier that UG on transcon to/from IAD-LAX/SFO is rough these days. Rebounding DC economy means significant #'s in paid F and certainly A. You can sometimes snag A for a minimal amount more than Y and I would grab it if you can find it.
That actually seems to be the case around the country lately. I just hopped a phoenix-ord flight that it was only $120 more.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
It has become harder every year to find a 3 class transcon out of/to IAD. I have had to go through JFK and fly PS for the majority of my transcons the last few years. As a 1K I have CR1s, so I can upgrade.

It has been very difficult to find 3 class routings. I feel bad for 1Ps hoping to fly a transcon in business via UDU. At one point it wasn't that difficult as a 1K to fly in business using 500s, now it is nearly impossible using CR1s unless I go through JFK.

Besides adding time, flying PS means flying United Express between JFK and IAD. That isn't the most reliable route.

Last edited by SMF Rider; May 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm Reason: Add UX comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.