Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The new award rules are posted on United.com: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,1141,00.html

Not as much detail as IslandSkies provided, but they do reflect the new rules. They are easier to understand than they used to be.
That link goes to United Mileage Plus Award Travel rules.
Click Here to see the page on Star Alliance Award Travel rules.

Note some of the following:
2) Booking your Star Alliance award ticket

a) You can book your Star Alliance award ticket online only if you are flying roundtrip on Continental or US Airways.

b) You must call United Reservations for all other Star Alliance award travel:
• One-way awards on Continental and US Airways.
• Roundtrip or one-way awards on all other Star Alliance partners.
• When booking an award ticket through United Reservations, there may be a fee. Learn more about award fees.

c) The name on your award ticket must match the name on your government-issued photo ID.

d) Star Alliance Award tickets must be booked at least 24 hours prior to departure.

e) Award tickets must be on a flight routing exclusively between valid cities described in the Star Alliance award chart, with no connections or stopovers on additional continents or cities unless otherwise noted.

f) Cities and countries served by the Star Alliance partners are subject to change. Some countries listed in the award chart may not be available for award travel and other countries may become available later.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Pardon my ignorance on *A awards, but what is the "shortest leg" rule?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Superguy
Pardon my ignorance on *A awards, but what is the "shortest leg" rule?
In the old open jaw rule, the open (unflown) portion had to be the shortest leg. Think triangle -- the shortest leg / shortest side.

yes this a bit confusing
Award tickets must be on a flight routing exclusively between valid cities described in the Star Alliance award chart, with no connections or stopovers on additional continents or cities unless otherwise noted.
looks bad but then goes on to say
3) What you can do with a Star Alliance award ticket
d) Include one stopover when traveling roundtrip between regions; for example, between the continental U.S. and Hawaii, or between the U.S. and the Caribbean, Asia, Australia, Central America, South America, Middle East or Europe). You can have five stopovers if flying on a Round-The-World Award.
so no OW or OpenJaw or single region stopovers -- as before

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Seems to be great news ^

I think redemption increases are right around the corner though!

I Believe this would be good, Call me uninformed but does anyone know if the miles expiration will be United's or Continental's (never expire) after the merge?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Celiomartins
I Believe this would be good, Call me uninformed but does anyone know if the miles expiration will be United's or Continental's (never expire) after the merge?
Does not CO have a stated but unenforced expiration policy. This is another candidate for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-thread.html
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:27 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
so no OW or OpenJaw or single region stopovers -- as before
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Stopovers will be allowed on Round Trip or Open Jaw itineraries between two award regions.
I'm confused. What rule in the link indicates that a stopover is allowed on open jaw itineraries between two award regions?

So on one award can I fly:

SFO-NRT(stopover)-BKK
SYD-SFO
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I'm confused. What rule in the link indicates that a stopover is allowed on open jaw itineraries between two award regions?

So on one award can I fly:

SFO-NRT(stopover)-BKK
SYD-SFO
That's not between two award regions. I count 4 on your itinerary: North America, Japan, South Asia, and Australia.

As for the rule about stopover on Open Jaw, that is in the profile we use in reservations. Maybe they will change/clarify it to match the website wording but I won't be back at work until next week so I can't check right now.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:42 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
That's not between two award regions. I count 4 on your itinerary: North America, Japan, South Asia, and Australia.

As for the rule about stopover on Open Jaw, that is in the profile we use in reservations. Maybe they will change/clarify it to match the website wording but I won't be back at work until next week so I can't check right now.
Gotcha.

So on one award I could fly, for example:

IAD-DME
LED-FRA(stopover)-IAD
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Gotcha.

So on one award I could fly, for example:

IAD-DME
LED-FRA(stopover)-IAD
That's my understanding.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I am confused by these new rules - firstly I cannot find the "Mileage Information Menu" referred to in the OP. All I am trying to figure out is if the following routing would be now permitted: SYD-ICN-YVR (or LAX or SFO or SEA) - perviously this was not allowed which severely limited *A award travel from North America/Canada and Australia.

(As experts would know this sort of routing has long been allowed by other *A airlines; eg. AC and US).

thanks for any insight into this.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I think redemption increases are right around the corner though!
What ??? Certainly hope you're wrong! We just had some 30+% increases in (UA) premium awards a couple of years ago!!!
Certainly not projecting flyers are "expecting" such devals for a few eases on routing/stopver rules!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pschafer
I cannot find the "Mileage Information Menu" referred to in the OP.
And you never will unless you happen to work for United Reservations.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Originally Posted by tjtenor4
IslandSkies - for clarification, why is it that a US-Asia award routing through Europe now costs the higher Europe-Asia price? As long as the routing doesn't exceed 0M, shouldn't it still be the lower US-Asia price, since there's no "higher mileage" option specified for US-Asia routings? I'm sure you said it for a reason, but I'm just confused because I didn't see anything in the new rules that would say that it has to take the highest cost of any two regions involved in the routing.
Charging the higher mileage has been the rule for years. However, several agents have told me in the last couple of weeks that this rule is now out of the window. It should cost the same number of miles to fly US-ASIA vie ATL and PAC, as long as you abide by the MPM rules. Hope those agents knew what they were talking about.

BTW, the new rules were initially supposed to enter into force on Jan. 23, and all agents got the training back then, but there was a technical issue that was just resolved.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:54 pm

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Nicholas
Charging the higher mileage has been the rule for years. However, several agents have told me in the last couple of weeks that this rule is now out of the window. It should cost the same number of miles to fly US-ASIA vie ATL and PAC, as long as you abide by the MPM rules. Hope those agents knew what they were talking about.
Yes - I know that that's the way it was supposed to be before; I know that it's no longer the way it is now (as I have a US-Europe-S.Asia F award currently booked at the 145k price). In fact, I even had the agent confirm when I booked it that it was 145k, not 165k - I would rather have paid the extra 20k miles now to avoid having serious issues later. She checked - even spoke with supervisor - and it was made clear to me that 145k was all it cost.

That was about 6 months ago. I'm just trying to see if that's changing - again, assuming one stays within the original MPM (not the new 115% rule).
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by cesco.g
What ??? Certainly hope you're wrong! We just had some 30+% increases in (UA) premium awards a couple of years ago!!!
Certainly not projecting flyers are "expecting" such devals for a few eases on routing/stopver rules!
Of course. That's always the way it works -- they give a benefit and then impose an even larger cost soon afterward.

However, these changes seem very favorable. Thanks, OP, for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.