Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
but its not Air Canada or Air NZ, and I avoid the US
+1. NZ YVR-AKL is a very nice flight in C, especially when they're using the 744. A big step up from CO to the Pacific.

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Is there still the requirement that stopovers must be on a direct routing?

Under the old rules this was a bit of moot point since indirect routings would usually result in the itinerary exceeding the MPM.

But now that the MPM rule has been relaxed, can I (for example), on the way back from DEL to JFK, stop over in CPH as follows:

DEL - VIE - CPH on OS
Stopover in CPH
CPH - FRA - JFK on LH

By the way USAirways tries to prevent this kind of routing with the "stopover must be in operating carrier's hub" rule, though the rule is not consistently enforced.
Not sure if this question has been answered. If this is a one-way *A award, I assume the answer is this routing is not permitted because no stopovers are permitted. But if this is part of a roundtrip, then would this be permissible?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 27, 2011 at 10:05 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
but its not Air Canada or Air NZ, and I avoid the US
Your loss.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
pulled off a UA Star award with both a stop-over and open-jaw

I don't know how I pulled this off, but probably cuz I asked really nicely... yesterday I called UA and got a Star roundtrip booking with BOTH an open jaw AND a stopover.

Example - BOS-to-PVG / PEK-to-BKK(open-jaw)-to-PVG(stopover)-to-BOS. All for 65k UA mles. This was booked at 3am EST with a Hawaii based agent.

Today, I call back at 7pm asking about a change, and the 1K agent says the booking i had above was illegal. she checked with her supe and he verified it was improper booking apparently. but they'll make a one-time exception to honor it.

And this was after 3 days ago, another 1k agent said a stop-over is okay on one-way tickets! 3 agents, 3 different stories and interpretation of rules.

oy, UA agents really need to get more on the ball with Star Award rules!

but i'm nerding out that I got a Star award with both an open-jaw and a stopover in one itinerary...
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's legal now - just not in the same region
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2011-a.html
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Moral of the story: HNL-based agents rock!

Sure wish they'd go 24/7 but quite the opposite is likely to happen, unfortunately...
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's legal now - just not in the same region
BKK is South Asia region, PVG is North Asia, and Boston is u know what.

So BKK-PVG(stopover)-BOS is legal with the stopover then as a one-way award?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by epiding
So BKK-PVG(stopover)-BOS is legal with the stopover then as a one-way award?
See post #63.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Regions are defined exactly as the regions in that chart. Came to work today and the profile for star award routings has changed *again* and stopovers is showing only valid for rt. Sorry folks.
oy, so the OP's original post #1 should be changed then. post #1 and his later post #63 conflict about stop-overs. Either stopover is allowed or it isn't, on one-way Star bookings (between different regions)

IslandSkies please clarify your post #1 please. thanks.

Last edited by epiding; Feb 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by epiding
oy, so the OP's original post #1 should be changed then. post #1 and his later post #63 conflict about stop-overs. Either stopover is allowed or it isn't, on one-way Star bookings (between different regions)

IslandSkies please clarify your post #1 please. thanks.
It never was allowed on one-way awards. As per post #1, it was changed momentarily to be allowed on open-jaw awards, but then that was changed back.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
So, absolutely no stopovers on one-way awards?

That's not as good as BD's awards then...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Is there still the requirement that stopovers must be on a direct routing?

Under the old rules this was a bit of moot point since indirect routings would usually result in the itinerary exceeding the MPM.

But now that the MPM rule has been relaxed, can I (for example), on the way back from DEL to JFK, stop over in CPH as follows:

DEL - VIE - CPH on OS
Stopover in CPH
CPH - FRA - JFK on LH

By the way USAirways tries to prevent this kind of routing with the "stopover must be in operating carrier's hub" rule, though the rule is not consistently enforced.
I have booked a flight similar to this. This is permissible with UA miles atleast.

I had a booking
Bom-AMS (via Zurich)
AMS-PHL (via Fra)
Phl-bom (via Fra)
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Latest clarification: Stop-overs allowed on open jaw awards (single and double) but not on one-ways. End-point regions have to be the same though, ie LAX-NRT/-KIX-SFO with a stop somewhere in there since both directions go between North America and Japan. The caveat of course is that you meet the 15M restriction and that you pay the higher award miles if applicable for going through a third region.

However the example from above: BOS-to-PVG / PEK-to-BKK(open-jaw)-to-PVG(stopover)-to-BOS sounds wrong because unless I misunderstand what he is saying, it looks like he has open jaws between PVG/PEK and BKK/PVG which is not really a double-open-jaw, which should look like two one-ways, and that example would look like three one-ways.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Is it feasible rule-wise to do IAD - MUC - FRA -SIN - FRA - IAD on LH(F) for 145K, or will I have to take the more direct IAD-FRA-SIN outbound?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Latest clarification: Stop-overs allowed on open jaw awards (single and double) but not on one-ways. End-point regions have to be the same though, ie LAX-NRT/-KIX-SFO with a stop somewhere in there since both directions go between North America and Japan. The caveat of course is that you meet the 15M restriction and that you pay the higher award miles if applicable for going through a third region.

However the example from above: BOS-to-PVG / PEK-to-BKK(open-jaw)-to-PVG(stopover)-to-BOS sounds wrong because unless I misunderstand what he is saying, it looks like he has open jaws between PVG/PEK and BKK/PVG which is not really a double-open-jaw, which should look like two one-ways, and that example would look like three one-ways.
Thanks for clarifying - so you CAN have both a stopover and an open jaw in the same region then, if I read you correctly.

My personal LH award issue is JFK-MUC-CDG / AMS-FRA-JFK. I'd like to do a stopover in MUC, but the agent said it wasn't allowed - I have a fake (just under 24 hour) stopover right now, but I'd like to create a real one (so I don't have to take a 6am MUC-CDG flight the next day).

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.