Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:37 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by aau
I am looking to book a friend's honeymoon trip to India from SF, using my miles. They would like to incorporate a stopover in Dubai. It doesn't necessarily have to more than 24hrs, although it would be nice to have the option. I'm not sure if this can be done, since there are no *A airlines that fly between Dubai and India, so any routing would include significant backtracking, through Europe most likely. Would a routing like DXB-IST-India or DXB-CAI-India work, or does any possible indirect routing exceed MPM? TIA
So an update, the desired stopover is now IST, which I tried to book. Unfortunately I was unable to book USA-India with a stopover in Istanbul. Made multiple calls, one person said the only permitted IST-India routing is a nonstop on TK, which wasn't available.The last agent ultimately told us that IST is not permitted as a stopover at all, unless flying nonstop from USA on TK, at which point I gave up on the IST stopover. Looking at a world map, I don't really understand how IST could not be a stopover. Should I try again?

BTW, I was also told that it isn't possible to have a double open-jaw and a stopover on one award. No big deal, but I thought the rule changes post 6/15 permitted this. I could book a single open-jaw+stopover. (just not IST).
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by aau
BTW, I was also told that it isn't possible to have a double open-jaw and a stopover on one award. No big deal, but I thought the rule changes post 6/15 permitted this. I could book a single open-jaw+stopover. (just not IST).
Single open jaw + stopover is ok. Double open-jaw is also ok. Double open jaw + stopover is not allowed.

CO is more liberal with routings and stopovers, so I would see if you can get your desired award on CO and transfer your UA miles over to book it.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
Both the flights arriving and departing DEN are domestic. But if it's the first eligible flight it should be fine even if it's >4h.
Is the 4h rule strictly domestic or does it apply to all of Region 1? It would be nice to make some <24h stops across Canada on the same Region 1 *A award if allowed.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
LIS - SFO Routing Allowed

I tried to book LIS-FRA-CDG-ORD-SFO and they told me that one way in First/Business it would be greater than the mpm allowed for the 67,000 miles. Is this correct? The agent told me something about I can do 10,000 flight miles and up to 10% in excess but this routing is 20% and that I could do LIS-FRA-CDG-ORD for the 67,500 miles and would have to do the ORD-SFO flight separate.

I have been searching for a route from LIS with a stopover of less than 24 hours and I thought this would of worked.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:38 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Is the 4h rule strictly domestic or does it apply to all of Region 1? It would be nice to make some <24h stops across Canada on the same Region 1 *A award if allowed.
The 4H connection rule applies to both US & CA.

Originally Posted by SFO_Flyer
I tried to book LIS-FRA-CDG-ORD-SFO and they told me that one way in First/Business it would be greater than the mpm allowed for the 67,000 miles. Is this correct?
The Agent was wrong. Your proposed routing is within MPM+5%:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.0/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: LIS-FRA-CDG-ORD-SFO]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
LIS 2                                                           
FRA 2 EH  1165  1165  1398  EH  0M   233     0  1747     0      
PAR 2 EH   275  1440   **MPM NOT AVAILABLE**                    
CHI 1 AT  4148  5588  4909  AT 15M    57   189  6136     0      
SFO 1 US  1847  7435  7125  AT  5M    46   310  8906     0

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by KVS
The Agent was wrong. Your proposed routing is within MPM+5%:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.0/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: LIS-FRA-CDG-ORD-SFO]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
LIS 2                                                           
FRA 2 EH  1165  1165  1398  EH  0M   233     0  1747     0      
PAR 2 EH   275  1440   **MPM NOT AVAILABLE**                    
CHI 1 AT  4148  5588  4909  AT 15M    57   189  6136     0      
SFO 1 US  1847  7435  7125  AT  5M    46   310  8906     0
For the FRA-PAR segment, it states **MPM Not Available**, if that were to be included in the MPM calculation, would that make a difference? Strange that they would not allow this if its within the guidelines.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:42 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_Flyer
For the FRA-PAR segment, it states **MPM Not Available**, if that were to be included in the MPM calculation, would that make a difference?
No, the intermediate MPMs are for informational purposes only and are not taken into the account.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Gold, SPG Gold
I've read through this thread as well as other postings trying to figure out, but am still not completely certain. What I am wanting to do is a one-way business award ticket from ATL-SIN and build in as many <24hr stops as possible. One route I've looked at that has saver availability on each leg is as follows:

ATL-FRA-CPH-DOH-DEL-SIN

Or Alternatively,

ATL-FRA-CPH-DOH-SIN

I can't get united.com to get the last two legs when I do a multi-city award search (gets an error when I add either DOH-DEL-SIN or DOH-SIN). Is this because I've busted through the allowed MPM + 15% or just because of website issues, so I should just call?

As an aside note, there are award tickets available when I do a ATL-SIN search that route ATL-FRA-DOH-SIN, but with close connections. I'd like to be able to make less <24 hrs stops if possible.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Apologies in advance if covered already, but I couldn't find an answer to this through my flip through of several pages of this thread.

I was wondering if it was possible to do a *A HKG->VCE->NYC->HKG trip on one itinerary. So essentially this is a 3 zone trip with a stopover. I'm trying to do this in as few miles as possible (regardless of class of service) but am not able to make such a booking online at all.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Can I book BOS-NRT-DFW as a RT award with a stopover in DUB on the way?

Something like BOS-FRA-DUB-FRA-NRT-FRA-IAH-DFW

What would the saver F mileage rate be for that routing?

Thanks very much

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.