Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion | SPG Gold
New or Old First Config?

For my flight tomorrow United 935 LHR-LAX when we booked it it was the new config and I was pretty happy to try the new international first class. But now when I look it seems our seats have been changed and we've been downgraded to an old config 777. Does anyone know why this flight got changed? And does anyone know if UA allows you to change flights when they change planes? Or if this could change back by tomorrow morning?

I'm also unable to check in for the flight, for some reason it says the flight isn't open for checkin yet.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dl767captain
For my flight tomorrow United 935 LHR-LAX when we booked it it was the new config and I was pretty happy to try the new international first class. But now when I look it seems our seats have been changed and we've been downgraded to an old config 777. Does anyone know why this flight got changed? And does anyone know if UA allows you to change flights when they change planes? Or if this could change back by tomorrow morning?

I'm also unable to check in for the flight, for some reason it says the flight isn't open for checkin yet.
United Cargo shows old configuration on UA935 on Saturday.
http://www.unitedcargo.com/utilities...ngeles,+CA-LAX
As has been discussed repeatedly here, last-minute switches occur frequently between old and new configurations.
Take a look in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...et-2011-a.html
And this one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ft-2011-a.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jun 3, 2011 at 4:43 pm Reason: Added new/old config threads
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I was NF on old-config SFO-FRA, it got changed to new config, and I was downgraded.

I was NF on new-config LAX-LHR, and it got changed to old config. I retained my seat (as one might expect).

I expect life will be like this until they finish the 777 fleet.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
does anyone know if UA allows you to change flights when they change planes?
Extremely unlikely, especially without status as leverage. No airline guarantees equipment (except those that only have one type).

That's because of the equipment swap.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
For my flight tomorrow United 935 LHR-LAX when we booked it it was the new config and I was pretty happy to try the new international first class. But now when I look it seems our seats have been changed and we've been downgraded to an old config 777...
When we flew LHR-LAX in mid-May the new config was swapped out for old config about two days out. Our SFO-LHR at the beginning of June was old config from the start, although a pax across the aisle claimed he'd been told by phone res. that he'd have power, maybe a misunderstanding. He jumped off the plane to try to buy a plug converter and returned empty-handed at the last minute.

It's not news that the old config C seats are in terrible condition and obviously getting minimal maintenance, as at least one FA confirmed to us. Mrs. Fredd's SFO-LHR seat would work only in fully upright or fully reclined, a nuisance for her and the pax behind her.

We moved at the FA's suggestion to an empty back middle row in the main C cabin for a couple of hours, and the footrest on the first seat I tried didn't work. I suppose it's cheaper to send out travel certs to those who complain than actually to keep the seats in decent condition but IMHO it's not presenting a very good image for UA.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:00 am

Some 77Q Routes

For those who are wondering...
NRTLAX/LAXNRT have been 77Q flights 75% of the time since May 1. United defaults to a 77Q seat plan on this route.

NRTORD/ORDNRT have been 77Q flights 24% of the time since May 1. United defaults to a 77P seat plan on this route.

This scheduling seems pretty consistent unless there is a weather or equipment disruption.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:31 am

777Q Routes

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has info on the equipment used for IAD-MUC and CDG-IAD?

Am flying to Munich on the 29th of this month and the United site (and cargo) show 777's (old config) and back from Paris on the 21st of July. On this flight United also shows's 777's but the United Cargo site seems to consistently show a 67l (this month anyways)

Just wondering if anyone has some insights to what's being used?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I was NF on old-config SFO-FRA, it got changed to new config, and I was downgraded.
At least you got the new C! I wonder how long it was showing new config before it switched to old?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
At least you got the new C! I wonder how long it was showing new config before it switched to old?
Yes, but I & +1 had F seats (she XF, me NF). She was very kind to give me the F seat (I wanted to sleep; she just wanted to watch movies. IFE being the same in F & C, and she being quite a bit shorter than me, we swapped).

It wasn't until day-of-flight that we found out. Previously, it had been the old for months.

And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the gate. At least 1 GS was caught up in this as well.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Yes, but I & +1 had F seats (she XF, me NF). She was very kind to give me the F seat (I wanted to sleep; she just wanted to watch movies. IFE being the same in F & C, and she being quite a bit shorter than me, we swapped).

It wasn't until day-of-flight that we found out. Previously, it had been the old for months.

And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the gate. At least 1 GS was caught up in this as well.
Downgrading someone from NF with an equipment swap is bad enough (ticketed five months ago), but worse if they were going to downgrade someone who was XF. I doubt they had 7 non-award, non-upgrade tickets in F on this flight. So that would mean some GS in paid C with an upgrade was going to get preference over someone with an XF ticket? That's just wrong.

My wife and I are in XF on this flight a couple weeks from now, and this is not encouraging. Seat map currently shows new configuration, which I assume means that it will change to the old the day before or the day of. Were they going to offer your companion compensation for the downgrade in service? I wonder how many other times someone has been confirmed in XF on the old 777 and then been downgraded when the equipment was swapped to the new configuration.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
With N217UA and N222UA complete, that's 14 of 46 777s converted... so one could assume a ~30% chance of a converted bird on their flight given they are not being dedicated to specific routes from what I can tell.

Last edited by bmvaughn; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:25 am Reason: 14 complete, not 15.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
With N217UA and N222UA complete, that's 15 of 46 777s converted... so one could assume a ~30% chance of a converted bird on their flight given they are not being dedicated to specific routes from what I can tell.
Is it 15 or 14? The wiki says 15, but if you count the individual planes, it's only 14................................
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Is it 15 or 14? The wiki says 15, but if you count the individual planes, it's only 14................................
14, good call. Still 30.3%
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:00 am

N223UA went in a few days ago.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
With N217UA and N222UA complete, that's 15 of 46 777s converted... so one could assume a ~30% chance of a converted bird on their flight given they are not being dedicated to specific routes from what I can tell.
217 came out of pek so assume it had d check, 223 has been in SFO since jun 13.

Last edited by Cymba; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.