Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chewy3
Upgraded DEN-FRA Z to F today, but not without a significant amount of trouble. The system showed upgrade option grayed out and agent thought she had seen an email go out that restricted Z class upgrades. After a lot of calls she was ready to give up but decided to try one more time and it worked. The party may be nearly over. All in all it took about 45 minutes to get it done.
Did your SWU exclude Z fares from eligible upgradeable fares?

Last edited by SFOTurtle; Jan 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Did you SWU exclude Z fares from eligible upgradeable fares?
Yes, the new policy is that Z fares are not upgradagble with SWUs. I recently did it in 2011, and it worked. It'll be interesting to see what people say in 2012.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I used a SWU on a Z fare MUC-BOS in late september.. The checkin agent read the document carefully and called the supervisor to make sure. She was briefed that the classes allowed by the system (ie W,S,V-Y and Z-J) could be used if they were not explicitly excluded on the printed cert. So Z was OK and the upgrade cleared immediately (this was 6h before departure, so the FM must have opened the grading in advance).

So if you have a cert printed on stock that doesn't exclude Z you can upgrade, LH agents should not be a hurdle.
Which contradicts what you've been insisting would be the case when I try to use my MP voucher next week that clearly does not exclude the K-fare. You have always insisted that the changed rules would apply irrespective of what my September-issued SWU voucher says.

Why would the K fare upgrade be treated any differently than the Z fare one?

BTW it appears UA has changed the T&C on the vouchers several times this year to reflect the LH-demanded changes with all such changes appearing on vouchers with the new MP brand mark and UA/CO logo.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Looking forward to see your experiences... I said K is not a class upgradable with any M&M instrument, so it will not be possible for the agent to upgrade. Z is upgradable with M&M miles (albeit with a 15k surcharge) and M&M evouchers, so it can be processed if the paper SWU doesn't exclude it. Good luck!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Did your SWU exclude Z fares from eligible upgradeable fares?
No it did not.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looking forward to see your experiences... I said K is not a class upgradable with any M&M instrument, so it will not be possible for the agent to upgrade. Z is upgradable with M&M miles (albeit with a 15k surcharge) and M&M evouchers, so it can be processed if the paper SWU doesn't exclude it. Good luck!
This seems to be correct. If the system won't allow it they can't override no matter what the voucher may say, but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 2, 2012 at 8:35 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Well, if the employee is ranked high enough (and subsequently has more authorisations in the DCS/Pictures) then they can upgrade anyone. BUT all upgrades are audited by a team of LH revenue hawks in DEL and the employee will have to justify why they did whatever they did at the time, or document it in the notes to make sure it doesn't backfire on them.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: 1K,MM,Lifetime Plat.Marriott
I trusted the experts at UAL.

Dear Luv2cthe world. I do feel better, but the bottom line is that I trusted UAL experts to make this happen. You are wrong when you said that if I was traveling another airline UA etc I would have benn in the same boat. Wrong. I went to AMS on UAL and enjoyed my upgrade to business.
You are aware that most times you pay a higher price for the base fare to get to the code that works for the upgrades. I am probably like most, in that I do not do have the time to examine or detail all the classes etc. Again I asked UAL to charge me whatever so I can use these seamlessly.
It bothered me that Lufthansa said this happens a lot. Then fix it! It bothered me that the UAL personnel sitting right beside her didnt step up, and she clearly felt the situation could eaqsily be handled. Especially since the plane flew with empty seats in BC.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
M or H?

Ladies & gents, what do you think? Should I buy and M fare or an H?

If I get the H I'll save +/-$600 but I'm afraid my rank will be too low as a mere UA *G. The loads on my flights in question seem light. My AMEX agent insists that I have to use M but I know the cert doesn't exclude H.

This is for:
LH491 SEA-FRA on 13 Jan - (Y9, C9, F5)
and
LH458 MUC-SFO on 29 Jan - (Y9, C9, F3)
This is not out of my pocket but the company is really pinching pennies right now.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by crunchy
Ladies & gents, what do you think? Should I buy and M fare or an H?

If I get the H I'll save +/-$600 but I'm afraid my rank will be too low as a mere UA *G. The loads on my flights in question seem light. My AMEX agent insists that I have to use M but I know the cert doesn't exclude H.

This is for:
LH491 SEA-FRA on 13 Jan - (Y9, C9, F5)
and
LH458 MUC-SFO on 29 Jan - (Y9, C9, F3)
This is not out of my pocket but the company is really pinching pennies right now.
When using a SWU, the COS really doesn't matter, as long as it applies as per the COS mentioned on the certificate.

Your theory only works when you wish to score an op-up.

LH is more than happy to take the SWU certs IME.

However, things are fluid right now, but in your case I it should not matter. The problem is now they wish to prevent upgraders and award redemptions into their F cabin, not into the C cabin.

Your flights look wide open at present and a perfect situation for the use of SWUs or (LH?) miles to upgrade.

No op-up possibilities appear to be evident from Y to C.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Update on K class from the SWU front

Just flew FRA-BLR on LH K class. Upon checking in, I asked for C class availability. When the agent informed me of available space, I pulled out two SWU certs (for my wife and me). As expected, he "noticed" that "this ticket" is not upgradeable with SWUs. I pointed out that K class was not mentioned on the certificate as an illegible class and that I made my booking based on the assumption that K was upgradeable. The usual "it's UA fault", etc was discussed briefly. He then went to the ticketing desk and, again as expected, told me the fare can't be upgraded.

I asked him to check with the flight supervisor - which he did but it was more of an information that two pax wanted to use SWU rather than asking the supervisor to authorize the upgrade. The agent said to try at the gate. Not giving up, I asked if there was a supervisor I could talk to. After insisting we walked for a few minutes and I was asked to wait outside an office. After a bit back and forth (I talked through the agent - apparently the supervisor did not want to face me) I ended up getting the upgrades. Total time - about 30min.

I insisted that the cert was issued recently (it had the new UA logo) and that I booked LH K class in Aug.

I guess we got lucky.

Last edited by leinez; Jan 6, 2012 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by leinez
Just flew FRA-BLR on LH K class. Upon checking in, I asked for C class availability. When the agent informed me of available space, I pulled out two SWU certs (for my wife and me). As expected, he "noticed" that "this ticket" is not upgradeable with SWUs. I pointed out that K class was not mentioned on the certificate as an ilegible class and that I made my booking based on the assumption that K was upgradeable. The usual "it's UA fault", etc was discussed briefly. He then went to the ticketing desk and, again as expected, told me the fare can't be upgraded.

I asked him to check with the flight supervisor - which he did but it was more of an information that two pax wanted to use SWU rather than asking the supervisor to authorize the upgrade. The agent said to try at the gate. Not giving up, I asked if there was a supervisor I could talk to. After insisting we walked for a few minutes and I was asked to wait outside an office. After a bit back and forth (I talked through the agent - apparently the supervisor did not want to face me) I ended up getting the upgrades. Total time - about 30min.

I insisted that the cert was issued recently (it had the new UA logo) and that I booked LH K class in Aug.

I guess we got lucky.
In the past they used to go by the T&Cs on the certificate verbatim.

However, it may be correct that LH cannot upgrade a K-fare - it's the absolutely last COS on the list of LH available buckets, much below V-class! You were indeed lucky.

The LH agent was going by his intrinsic knowledge of his fare buckets and was quite correct in refusing your upgrade request initially. It probably would have taken a major override of their system (Pictures) to enter it for an upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:57 am
Used to be 'sido21'

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus & Stargold
so i have 1 more swu that expires on 31 jan
i am on a K class fare AMS FRA SIN on 20JAN

my chances are 0% ?

Also since i only have 1,5 h connecting time in FRA
can i (start) ask(ing) for the upgrade in AMS or do i wait till i am in FRA and go straigh to the gate?

Last edited by ikvliegveel; Jan 7, 2012 at 11:14 am
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Can someone please share what fare classes are applicable from Coach->Business for Lufthansa in 2012? United told me it was Y or B class fares, which sounds bogus to me.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Can someone please share what fare classes are applicable from Coach->Business for Lufthansa in 2012? United told me it was Y or B class fares, which sounds bogus to me.
I'm assuming you're asking about upgrades with paper SWUs. M and H are still eligible fares for upgrade from coach to business in addition to Y and B. Check the UA website (or earlier in this thread) for a list of fares that are not eligible.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by easyguy
According to United web site it says:
The following Lufthansa tickets are not eligible for a Systemwide Upgrade:

Tickets in booking codes X, I, R, N, W, S, L, K, T, Z and E

But on the printed LH voucher, it says
L, X, I, R, N, E, S, W, ID, AD, IP, T fares are not valid

Which one of the above is correct ?
I am trying to find the website which states that Z fares are not eligible for SWU paper upgrades on LH. Do you have a link? I cannot seem to find it. THanks.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I am trying to find the website which states that Z fares are not eligible for SWU paper upgrades on LH. Do you have a link? I cannot seem to find it. THanks.
Never mind. I found it. The Z to F party on LH is over:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53477,00.html

"The following Lufthansa tickets are not eligible for a Systemwide Upgrade:

Tickets in booking codes X, I, R, N, W, S, L, K, T, Z and E"

Now I have even one more reason to throw my SWU's into the garbage...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 8, 2012 at 10:52 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.