Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gatelouse
UA, keep that StarNet Blocking vampire in its coffin and you'll have a real winner in this enhancement!

(So who got this one past Smisek?)
^^

As long as StarNet Blocking stays minimal or non-existant, UA miles just got a LOT more valuable for me. Even though Award Accelerator is a bit of a rip, it has on occassion spit out 0.024-ish RDM price points before to get 11-13k miles; considering thats now a domestic one-way around on any *A partner, I'm suddenly more interested in that. It also allows me to do a cross-Pacific/cross-Altantic return as two separate tickets round-the-world-like ticket should I so choose.

While I still expect to be earning and redeeming miles on US via Grand Slam and the like, just due to US not having *net blocking, the future of UA is looking brighter as an elite. Add some good ways to earn more miles via non-flying,
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Glad to see it's all official. This allows a lot more flexibility if you got some miles spread out across alliances, like others have said.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Question, how does this affect changes to trips in progress?

If you book two one-ways rather than a straight roundtrip, obviously you can make changes to the return portion after you've taken your outbound.

Has this led to any modification of the change policy on roundtrip awards, allowing changes to return after flying outbound (as Continental permits)?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by gleff

If you book two one-ways rather than a straight roundtrip, obviously you can make changes to the return portion after you've taken your outbound.

Has this led to any modification of the change policy on roundtrip awards, allowing changes to return after flying outbound (as Continental permits)?
Yes, the agent also said that you can now make changes to subsequent segments of any Star Alliance award after you've started travel.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:46 am

Like the above poster, I have had a complete failure at attempting to pull off doing this online. It's nice to have it available, but I really don't want to call in to do it. Do you have to pay the phone-ticketing fee or is that waived because this particular thing is impossible to accomplish online?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by dickerso
Like the above poster, I have had a complete failure at attempting to pull off doing this online. It's nice to have it available, but I really don't want to call in to do it. Do you have to pay the phone-ticketing fee or is that waived because this particular thing is impossible to accomplish online?
this is no different than booking a RT *A tix. gotta call up. fees according to status.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes, the agent also said that you can now make changes to subsequent segments of any Star Alliance award after you've started travel.
ANY award? Even the RT ones? Or just the one-ways?

If it really is "any award", wow, that's a really nice enhancement.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska

I had a R/T award FRA/JNB/PLZ and return CPT/IST/FRA in C on hold, my client was uncomfortable with the IST connection and I knew from reading this post that the one-way awards might be an option so I had them hold off until it was confirmed and we booked the FRA/JNB/PLZ portion and will wait for the return to see if something opens up or just buy a ticket.

This is meshing with a R/T award ticket we already booked PDX/SEA/FRA in LH F last week through United.

Clients use their Chase UA Visa to buy supplies for their business, had 1.5 million miles and didn't really know the value of them.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
ANY award? Even the RT ones? Or just the one-ways?

If it really is "any award", wow, that's a really nice enhancement.
This is completely the opposite message I had heard from the agents I spoke with.

This is from the e-receipt:

Penalty: TKT VALID 1YR FROM ISSUE DATE NON END-VALID UA-STAR ONLY NO CHANGES ONCE TRAVEL BEGINS UA ONLY NO UPG/TRANS/SRW

Last edited by ddavault; Oct 30, 2010 at 3:57 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
This is a great enhancement.

Originally Posted by gatelouse
UA, keep that StarNet Blocking vampire in its coffin and you'll have a real winner in this enhancement!
Originally Posted by NCommander
As long as StarNet Blocking stays minimal or non-existant, UA miles just got a LOT more valuable for me.
Sorry to get off-topic, but did I miss something? Has UA indicated that it is retreating on StarNet blocking??
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mecabq
....Sorry to get off-topic, but did I miss something? Has UA indicated that it is retreating on StarNet blocking??
There have been reports of people not running into *Net blocking (at least to the extent they expected it).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-blocking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...get-lucky.html
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been reports of people not running into *Net blocking (at least to the extent they expected it).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-blocking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...get-lucky.html
Starnet blocking has only been a significant issue for about 10 days since the beginning of May.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Starnet blocking has only been a significant issue for about 10 days since the beginning of May.
Agreed, I've found few, if any, problems.

Booked a *A o/w today. Looking forward to TG CDG-BKK, even if I'm not looking forward to CDG.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Great news Gleff. If anyone knows outside of IM it is you. Good info and I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Has anyone made a change to a RT that was in progress before this rule change?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Didn't even know about this! This is awesome!

Just booked a one way F award with a very nice agent on SQ/TG/UA combo to complete my around the world vacation.

Sweet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.