Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by nigelloring
Just to be totally clear, does this mean that stopovers ARE allowed on RT *A partner awards booked using UA miles?
Oh.... http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53698,00.html
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
FWIW, I've actually taken to booking most of my tickets as one-ways now. No more R/Ts.

I had one recently where I wanted to dump the outbound, but keep the return. But to do so required rebooking the return and having new inventory be available, and then refunding the original r/t ticket in its entirety. I have situations like this come up when for example I'm trying to combine AA one ways w/ UA one ways, waiting for preferred routings for a companion to open up in the week or so before the flight to get them on my flights with me, or to get them better flights.

If you are 1K/GS (no fees), and if you don't need a stopover, booking two one-ways preserves much more flexibility for such things vs. a round trip ticket.
Yes, OW's are great in this situation - perfect for 1K's
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
FWIW, I've actually taken to booking most of my tickets as one-ways now. No more R/Ts.

I had one recently where I wanted to dump the outbound, but keep the return. But to do so required rebooking the return and having new inventory be available, and then refunding the original r/t ticket in its entirety. I have situations like this come up when for example I'm trying to combine AA one ways w/ UA one ways, waiting for preferred routings for a companion to open up in the week or so before the flight to get them on my flights with me, or to get them better flights.

If you are 1K/GS (no fees), and if you don't need a stopover, booking two one-ways preserves much more flexibility for such things vs. a round trip ticket.
I also like one-ways more in general, but some of the downsides are:

1. If you are booked on a RT and bad weather comes up at your destination for your day of arrival only, the airline often changes both legs of your ticket for free, but if you are on a one-way they won't.

2. If you are not elite and need to cancel the fees double.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I'm new to Star Alliance awards, and especially Star one-way award using MileagePlus points. My planned travel will be within South Asia.

I searched and found this thread, but I want to ask my questions to be 100% sure:

1) A one-way saver award on SQ, for example SIN-SGN would be 12.5K miles in Y and 17.5K miles in C, with no fees being assessed since I'm a 1K, correct?
2) A one-way saver award on UA metal, for example SGN-HKG would also be 12.5K miles in Y and 17.5K miles in C, with no fees being assessed since I'm a 1K, correct?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sapguy
I'm new to Star Alliance awards, and especially Star one-way award using MileagePlus points. My planned travel will be within South Asia.

I searched and found this thread, but I want to ask my questions to be 100% sure:

1) A one-way saver award on SQ, for example SIN-SGN would be 12.5K miles in Y and 17.5K miles in C, with no fees being assessed since I'm a 1K, correct?
2) A one-way saver award on UA metal, for example SGN-HKG would also be 12.5K miles in Y and 17.5K miles in C, with no fees being assessed since I'm a 1K, correct?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
No fees, but you do pay airport/government taxes, which should not be much on the itinerary you have.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
No fees, but you do pay airport/government taxes, which should not be much on the itinerary you have.
Thanks, and I have the number of miles needed for each one-way correctly, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.