FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1138318-october-29-2010-one-way-star-alliance-awards-now-available.html)

TPacific Oct 19, 2010 12:21 pm

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Just booked an award ticket and the agent mentioned to me that starting late October (I think she said 29th), it would be possible to book one way Star Alliance awards.

Also, it would be possible to make changes to Star Awards after the outbound flight, even on other partners besides UA. If true and implemented right, this is a welcome change.

Anyone else heard of this or did I just miss the announcement?

vkng Oct 19, 2010 12:53 pm

If true this makes me very, very happy.

Antipode Oct 19, 2010 1:01 pm

This is the second time that I recall that an agent said that, so maybe they know what they're talking about. That would be a great change as long as stopovers aren't eliminated on RT awards.

Pingtung Oct 19, 2010 1:07 pm

would be great if true, especially if they allow us to combine different classes in different directions for a RT award, including a stopover, at the average of the two award price levels.

koroleon Oct 19, 2010 1:15 pm

While one-way *A awards are useful, I really hope they won't eliminate stopovers like AA did (they only allow North America stopovers, with limitations). I've found it a great benefit to visit two places with one ticket and I'd be very disappointed if we lose that.

karung99 Oct 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by koroleon (Post 14974262)
While one-way *A awards are useful, I really hope they won't eliminate stopovers like AA did (they only allow North America stopovers, with limitations). I've found it a great benefit to visit two places with one ticket and I'd be very disappointed if we lose that.

+1, hope UA will allow us to continue to do this.

LAXOGG Oct 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by koroleon (Post 14974262)

Originally Posted by karung99 (Post 14974711)
+1, hope UA will allow us to continue to do this.

Based upon my read of the UA website, Stopovers are not permitted:

• You must fly the most direct route from origin to destination. That means no stopovers. You can, however, make connections. Tip: If you want to visit multiple cities, you can use multiple One-Way Awards to create your itinerary.

WineCountryUA Oct 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 14974899)
Based upon my read of the UA website, Stopovers are not permitted:

• You must fly the most direct route from origin to destination. That means no stopovers. You can, however, make connections. Tip: If you want to visit multiple cities, you can use multiple One-Way Awards to create your itinerary.

That is the present rule for UA metal OW awards.
There has been no announcements for OW *A awards yet (although rumored). So it is hard to predict what will happen if and when *A OW awards are announced.

sbm12 Oct 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 14974926)
That is the present rule for UA metal OW awards.
There has been no announcements for OW *A awards yet (although rumored). So it is hard to predict what will happen if and when *A OW awards are announced.

Agreed that there has been no announcement yet so everything is completely speculation. That said, regular return trips on UA metal are permitted a stopover while one-way journeys are not. It would be quite surprising for the *A rules to be more flexible than those of "home" metal awards.

iflyuaaa Oct 19, 2010 4:11 pm

An agent told me about a week ago that the changes would be in effect Nov 1st. Hope multiple data points = reality.

MatthewLAX Oct 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Hope that stopovers will stay an option. I am going to make a speculative booking just in case...

iwillflytheworld Oct 19, 2010 4:35 pm

My guess is rules would be the same as now for UA metal awards: one stopover permitted only on RT awards, none on OW awards.

I doubt they will effectively allow 2 stopovers + 1 open jaw per RT (which is what would happen if they allow 1 stopover for OW awards).

UNITED959 Oct 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld (Post 14975508)
My guess is rules would be the same as now for UA metal awards: one stopover permitted only on RT awards, none on OW awards.

I doubt they will effectively allow 2 stopovers + 1 open jaw per RT (which is what would happen if they allow 1 stopover for OW awards).

Agreed.

dsquared37 Oct 19, 2010 6:16 pm

This would be a nice change on all accounts so long as stopovers remain allowed on a r/t.

I have a *A award in early Nov and will attempt to change change my dates after the outbound just to see.

mahasamatman Oct 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld (Post 14975508)

That would be a double open-jaw as well.