Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
@ WineCountryUA

Thank you for the information!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:36 pm

I just ticketed an award for later this year on a mixture of UA/AC/LX/LH flights. According to united.com, the new UA policy on changing award tickets after travel has started is:

Changes during travel: Permitted for United and Star Alliance flights that were booked as E-Tickets. Subject to applicable fees. For Star Alliance partner flights, changes need to be made up to 24 hours in advance of the departure of the new flight.

However, when I look at my e-ticket receipt, the notes at the bottom say

NON END-VALID UA-STAR ONLY
NO CHANGES ONCE TRAVEL BEGINS
UA ONLY/NO UPG/TRANS/SRW

Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I just ticketed an award for later this year on a mixture of UA/AC/LX/LH flights. According to united.com, the new UA policy on changing award tickets after travel has started is:

Changes during travel: Permitted for United and Star Alliance flights that were booked as E-Tickets. Subject to applicable fees. For Star Alliance partner flights, changes need to be made up to 24 hours in advance of the departure of the new flight.

However, when I look at my e-ticket receipt, the notes at the bottom say

NON END-VALID UA-STAR ONLY
NO CHANGES ONCE TRAVEL BEGINS
UA ONLY/NO UPG/TRANS/SRW

Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
No need to be concerned. You are now allowed to change Star Alliance award tickets after departure subject to the same rules as before departure.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
UnitedSkies any update on when we can book partner one-ways online?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA Fan
UnitedSkies any update on when we can book partner one-ways online?
I used to be in favor of that, but now hope this function is not offered. It still befuddles me that so many people think they can only use their UA miles for UA flights.

But I'd like to keep it that way.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I used to be in favor of that, but now hope this function is not offered. It still befuddles me that so many people think they can only use their UA miles for UA flights.

But I'd like to keep it that way.
Absolutely!
The influx of people booking Star rewards would be enormous!
MP is probably the biggest Star loyalty program, but a good chunk only think that its United metal saver or standard!
Please no!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:08 am

FWIW, I've actually taken to booking most of my tickets as one-ways now. No more R/Ts.

I had one recently where I wanted to dump the outbound, but keep the return. But to do so required rebooking the return and having new inventory be available, and then refunding the original r/t ticket in its entirety. I have situations like this come up when for example I'm trying to combine AA one ways w/ UA one ways, waiting for preferred routings for a companion to open up in the week or so before the flight to get them on my flights with me, or to get them better flights.

If you are 1K/GS (no fees), and if you don't need a stopover, booking two one-ways preserves much more flexibility for such things vs. a round trip ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
No need to be concerned. You are now allowed to change Star Alliance award tickets after departure subject to the same rules as before departure.
Sorry to belabor the point, but I can safely ignore the endorsement (or fare rule?) on my e-ticket that plainly states "NO CHANGES ONCE TRAVEL BEGINS"?

Thanks.

By the way, the reason I booked the ticket as a round-trip is because I need to make a stopover.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Sorry to belabor the point, but I can safely ignore the endorsement (or fare rule?) on my e-ticket that plainly states "NO CHANGES ONCE TRAVEL BEGINS"?

Thanks.

By the way, the reason I booked the ticket as a round-trip is because I need to make a stopover.
Correct.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HHONORS Diamond, Avis Preferred
Are we allowed to route through the atlantic on an one way US-North Asia award? And will that be 72.5k or 80k in F?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by jiangatang
Are we allowed to route through the atlantic on an one way US-North Asia award? And will that be 72.5k or 80k in F?
Since it costs more miles Europe-Asia than North America-Asia you would pay the Europe-Asia rates.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Quick question:
Looking to book MXP-TGD. Searching on the ANA tool shows availabiity. I am a general member, wife is a 2P.

1) What would one expect the taxes/fees this to be? It's routing MXP-VIE-TGD.
2) Telephone fee? Or is it waived because I cannot book this online?
3) I think it would be 12,500 one way right for economy? 22,500 for business?

Any experiences? I've never booked a star one way award..

thanks
FDW
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Since it costs more miles Europe-Asia than North America-Asia you would pay the Europe-Asia rates.
It's actually NA-Asia mileage, as you probably know by now. One change I do like.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
It's actually NA-Asia mileage, as you probably know by now. One change I do like.
Correct.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The rules for round-trip awards as published on united.bomb still allow stopovers.
Just to be totally clear, does this mean that stopovers ARE allowed on RT *A partner awards booked using UA miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.