Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Vulcan
If i find myself in the same predicament later this year im sure ill buy some miles if needed and it will be at a much higher price than 8.7c.

Assuming that it is available at 8.7c, or available, at all, later in the year. The first quarter of the year is a slow travel time for the airlines. Perhaps this 'offer' is simply to generate cash during this period? Who knows. This is a good promotion from CO's standpoint as it encourages customers to spend the money now.
Yea I stated or at a much higher price and i know it can go away at any time but i seriously doubt this is going away. Its far too profitable imo, only time will tell but i think this is here for the long term.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
Are you saying that getting Silver two trips earlier this year is worth $1200 to you? (I know you might get other benefits later in the year depending on your EQM.)

Couldn't you get a status match from your DL status instead?
Yes it is worth it to me to buy elite status. Don't travel as much as you guys so it works for me. Not saying that I think it is right, or that I don't know I can get CC's that will automatically take care of this. Just saying that for me, buying status is my preference.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:42 pm
RNE

I'm OK, You're OK.

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I personally feel its worth buying the miles at 8.7c maybe even higher. In my case i was going to be about 4k miles short of 100k last year so i spent .27c for the last 4k miles then had an unexpected trip come up and put me up to 105k so i wasted the money.
This is a good promotion from CO's standpoint as it encourages customers to spend the money now.
Originally Posted by artyam
Yes it is worth it to me to buy elite status. Don't travel as much as you guys so it works for me. Not saying that I think it is right...
Gentlemen (and Ladies, since I know the gender of only one of you): I am a vocal opponent of mileage runs and buying EQMs, but I will be the first to applaud your actions! Only you can say what something is worth to you. I just paid $238 for ELR seats so my wife and I can sit in 7A&B for a 10-hour flight. Well worth the cost in my opinion. ^ Inevitably, some will think it foolish. Ask me if I care.

It's always a challenge to predict when to buy something; one has to exercise his/her best judgment at the time and move forward from there. You've all done well if you've pleased yourselves. And it sounds to me like you each have. So, bravo to you!

RNE, with apologies to Dr. Thomas A Harris, "I'm OK, You're OK."

P.S. The sale of EQMs is a win-win situation for the airline and its customers. The airline, in effect, sells a "virtual" seat and can still sell it for real. The EQM buyer gets his/her miles without having to fly. Even those customers who don't buy EQMs win. How so? The EQM buyers' butts are not in seats their butts can be in. I guess it's a win-win-win!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:46 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Even those customers who don't buy EQMs win. How so? The EQM buyers' butts are not in seats their butts can be in. I guess it's a win-win-win!

Except, that the practice of selling EQMs artificially increases the number of elites, and to a certain extent, the competition for the last upgrade seat.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:09 pm
RNE

Even those customers who don't buy EQMs win. How so? The EQM buyers' butts are not in seats their butts can be in. I guess it's a win-win-win!

Except, that the practice of selling EQMs artificially increases the number of elites, and to a certain extent, the competition for the last upgrade seat.
It's a ripple in a wave.

In any case, I agree with your position that EQM selling is here to stay. The longevity of the 8.7-cent price, however, is very questionable. As I have suggested, expect the price to fluctuate and expect the end-o'-year spike to begin in mid-autumn this year.

RNE, cautioning, "It's a jungle out there, ladies and gentlemen."
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by RNE
It's a ripple in a wave.

In any case, I agree with your position that EQM selling is here to stay. The longevity of the 8.7-cent price, however, is very questionable. As I have suggested, expect the price to fluctuate and expect the end-o'-year spike to begin in mid-autumn this year.

RNE, cautioning, "It's a jungle out there, ladies and gentlemen."
The price is now 9 cents per EQM. At least that is what I have seen.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
I am seriously thinking about buying miles at this at price

I still think it is a better option at 9 cents than doing MR for even 5 cents a mile. You have to consider the cost of your time, the amount of effort it takes to sit in an airplane for hours going to someplace you don't want to go, and the cost of parking your car and food etc. I can bet you would save money doing it this way. I am very seriously thinking of buying EQMs at 9 cents per EQM. I bought some at 11 cents last year so this is a bargain. I think being proactive makes sense in this case.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:22 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by icydog
The price is now 9 cents per EQM. At least that is what I have seen.
Just as I reported in Post #597. However, I also noted that my reward booking was showing 8.7-cents/mile (and it still is). It may, therefore, be possible to make a new reward booking and buy miles for 0.3-cents less. That may make a significant difference when buying a lot of miles.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
Just as I reported in Post #597. However, I also noted that my reward booking was showing 8.7-cents/mile (and it still is). It may, therefore, be possible to make a new reward booking and buy miles for 0.3-cents less. That may make a significant difference when buying a lot of miles.
Im not sure its tied to reward vs. paid as my paid 2 days ago was 8.7. I do wish we knew for sure what the criteria was.

Edit: just checked in for my return and it offered me 7500 EQM's for $653 still at 8.7c at least for my return (paid) but upgraded with miles.

Last edited by Weez_1000; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
If you regularly pay for BF international, you are already well on your way to 100K, not to mention Presidential Platinum.
if you regularly outright pay for BF, then what is the point of status anyways? If I should one day be so privileged to buy F tickets with cash, then I'd just pick the airline that fits my schedule and forget about trying to earn status...
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: CO,WN
Consistently 9 cents as of 1/17/2011

Just checked 3 reservations, including discount fare, B fare, and reward - all offering 3 cents base + 6 cents EQM total 9 cents, each component rounded up to the next whole dollar:

B (1.5x), 304 miles one-way, offered 1500 miles, $45 + $90. (Also offered 500)
M, 628 miles round trip, offered 1256 miles, $38 + $76 (Also offered 628)
Reward (XN + YN), 2551 miles round trip, offered 5,102 miles, $154 + $307 (Also offered 2551)

Note that B fare offered 500-mile minimum or 3x (1500-mile), while M fare & reward fare offers were for actual flight miles or 2x.

Platinum, but reward record also included a non-elite, same offer.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
Does anybody know out of experience (i.e., no guessing, please) if I can buy just the RDMs in one transaction and then come back later (if I change my mind) and buy the EQMs? Or do you only get one shot at it?

The thing is I'm sure I want the RDMs now, but I'm "iffy" on the EQMs and still have a lot of time before departure to think about it...

First-hand experience is welcome!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
Does anybody know out of experience (i.e., no guessing, please) if I can buy just the RDMs in one transaction and then come back later (if I change my mind) and buy the EQMs? Or do you only get one shot at it?
The thing is I'm sure I want the RDMs now, but I'm "iffy" on the EQMs and still have a lot of time before departure to think about it...

First-hand experience is welcome!
I had the same question too.

As a newbie on traveling, I just wanted to thank everyone for the great info in this thread.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:23 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
Does anybody know out of experience (i.e., no guessing, please) if I can buy just the RDMs in one transaction and then come back later (if I change my mind) and buy the EQMs? Or do you only get one shot at it? The thing is I'm sure I want the RDMs now, but I'm "iffy" on the EQMs and still have a lot of time before departure to think about it...First-hand experience is welcome!
Originally Posted by gobo
I had the same question too. As a newbie on traveling, I just wanted to thank everyone for the great info in this thread.
Why worry? You can always book a new flight, buy the miles and cancel the booking within 24 hours.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
I was talking with a friend recently who made VERY good use of buying EQMs. Just before EOY in 2010 he purchased a few miles to bump from Silver to Gold which sounded good enough to me... The real value though was that he did it right before flying trans-atlantic. Yes that flight would have bumped him to Gold anyway, but this way he earned significantly more miles off the trip (+100% instead of +25%) It also gave him access to the lounge as a *Gold.

Moral of the story - Sometimes you can really do well buying miles. However I suspect for someone who rarely flies its better to buy up to first instead of spending thousands on status for a few flights a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.