FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1122428-buying-elite-qualifying-miles-threads-merged.html)

tstrauser Sep 1, 2010 9:03 pm

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Have I just been blind in the past, or is the option of buying miles at check in something new?
What will this do to the ever growing number of platinums?

J.Edward Sep 1, 2010 9:36 pm

It's new and anything that makes it easier to earn status will dilute the benefits for the existing members.

mlad1101 Sep 1, 2010 9:50 pm

Curious as to pricing/limits?

SeaRaptor Sep 1, 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 14588468)
It's new and anything that makes it easier to earn status will dilute the benefits for the existing members.

Assuming that a lot of people spend cash on the program, yes.

westtexas Sep 1, 2010 9:53 pm

I am really curious about the details of this. My guess is that something would happen since United typically sold extra miles at the end of the year, but this seems to be substantially earlier than I would have predicted.

J.Edward Sep 1, 2010 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by SeaRaptor (Post 14588544)
Assuming that a lot of people spend cash on the program, yes.

I'd argue that anyone who jumps up a tier who would of not otherwise have done so will dilute the program as by definition they'll be more elites competing for the same pool of benefits (and of course if only a handful of people jump up due to this the effect is arguably negligible, but there is an effect none-the-less.)

mlad1101 Sep 1, 2010 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 14588589)
I'd argue that anyone who jumps up a tier who would of not otherwise have done so will dilute the program as by definition they'll be more elites competing for the same pool of benefits (and of course if only a handful of people jump up due to this the effect is arguably negligible, but there is an effect none-the-less.)

Well by the lack of knowledge of this by most so far I would assume it wouldn't affect much unless is advertised/offered without inquiring. Still would like details if anyone has

SeaRaptor Sep 1, 2010 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 14588589)

Exactly... your point in parenthesis is kind of where my thoughts take me.

I think about this in terms of the DEQM promos that have been run the past couple years. DEQM is one thing; people are going to travel when they need to, whether there's a DEQM promo running or not. If the promo bumps them up a level in status, then it does and that's that; it happens (likely) without any real effort or change in behavior on their part (or extra revenue for CO).

Purchasable EQM -- especially if offered only as a bonus to an existing ticket -- is slightly different. Even if you leave aside the additional revenue for the carrier, people may or may not necessarily dish out the extra cash to attain a new status level they might not use. Someone who makes a few short business trips a year might inadvertently make Silver in a year with a DEQM promo, but is unlikely to spend money to reach that status under this kind of a program if that's all the travel he does.

NJDesi27 Sep 2, 2010 2:27 am

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 14588534)
Curious as to pricing/limits?

Caught me by surprise when checking in at Newark for my flight to Bangkok via Tokyo. $68 for 2,500 miles or $270 for 10,000 miles -- all miles are also elite qualifying.

Didn't bite because I didn't have enough time to think about it.

Awtas Sep 2, 2010 3:27 am

is that something that was always there?
I haven't noticed this feature. Sometimes it might be helpful if someone is 3-5 k miles short for the next Elite level. In that case it's better to spend 150$ instead of doing one day roundtrip.
Does anyone know if this offer is for every flight and if that's something that happens only once in a while?

njcommodore Sep 2, 2010 4:47 am

There is a feature that's about to be released on co.com that will let you buy double or triple RDMs and EQMs per trip. In order to buy the EQMs, you have to buy the RDMS. The price of the EQMS is roughly 4.5 cpm, and the RDMs is about 3cpm. The RDMS don't mean much to me, so if you're buying it really just for the EQMS you're paying 7.5cpm, which is absurd considering you can do MRs for WAY less than that. Even 4.5cmp is high for a MR. I personally don't think significant amounts of people will jump on this to make it "dilute" the already lack of existing benefits. It may expand the pool of elites, or higher tier, but I'm more concerned about the F fire sale that's been going on lately.

Awtas Sep 2, 2010 5:03 am

looking at the post above it states
"$68 for 2,500 miles or $270 for 10,000 miles -- all miles are also elite qualifying."
so that brings to 2.7 cpm. So if someone is short by 5k EQM I believe it's better just pay 140$ instead of of doing MR.

mnmag Sep 2, 2010 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NJDesi27 (Post 14589338)
Caught me by surprise when checking in at Newark for my flight to Bangkok via Tokyo. $68 for 2,500 miles or $270 for 10,000 miles -- all miles are also elite qualifying.

Didn't bite because I didn't have enough time to think about it.

Originally Posted by Awtas (Post 14589663)
looking at the post above it states
"$68 for 2,500 miles or $270 for 10,000 miles -- all miles are also elite qualifying."
so that brings to 2.7 cpm. So if someone is short by 5k EQM I believe it's better just pay 140$ instead of of doing MR.

I would be really surprised if the miles offered for purchase inNJDesi27's example were actually 'elite qualifying'!

According to the preview thread -- as njcommodore cited, -- there are two separate steps to purchasing EQMs -- you have to first agree to purchase the RDMs & then are offered the deal to purchase EQMs! One can't just opt to purchase EQMs alone!

I_Sue_Debt_Collectors Sep 2, 2010 8:10 am

Does anyone know if this is offered through online checkin or only at the airport?

Hartmann Sep 2, 2010 8:16 am

Originally Posted by I_Sue_Debt_Collectors (Post 14590398)
Does anyone know if this is offered through online checkin or only at the airport?

You can go to any itinerary you currently have and buy the double RDM + double EQM.