Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Slightly off topic:

I usually make 1K based on EQS, not EQM, which buying EQM doesn't help. I've linked my MP and OP accounts, matched status and used my OP number when flying Continental to maximize UDU chances. Does OP credit EQS just like MP, so that I can combine EQS from both programs to hit the 120 mark?

Example: flight from LAX to IAD, connecting in IAH would result in 2 EQS on UA. Would this same itinerary on CO result in 2 EQS on the OP account?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by 9elf S
Slightly off topic:

I usually make 1K based on EQS, not EQM, which buying EQM doesn't help. I've linked my MP and OP accounts, matched status and used my OP number when flying Continental to maximize UDU chances. Does OP credit EQS just like MP, so that I can combine EQS from both programs to hit the 120 mark?

Example: flight from LAX to IAD, connecting in IAH would result in 2 EQS on UA. Would this same itinerary on CO result in 2 EQS on the OP account?
Yes. Both programs utilize EQS to reach status and you can combine the two (MP and OP) to reach status.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:44 pm

I know a lot of people don't know why this would be worth it, but I just bought some EQM's, which I was thrilled to learn I could do even on a reward ticket. I am not diluting Elite status, because I was going to earn it anyway, but by buying them, I can earn elite status before my next itinerary, and enjoy the benefits on my coming flights, rather than just next year.

Funny thing though. I bought some EQM's on two reservations so I would make elite after the trip I am currently on, but when I checked in for the outbound flight, they offered it to me a second time, so I bit, and now I have elite status for the return flight! I just think it is interesting that I was offered it twice. Now I'm going to earn 9702 miles for 2 1617 mile flights!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:03 pm

This is true, but like many have said before I actually would prefer to earn it via Mileage Runs since its usually much cheaper per mile (3-4 cpm compared to 7 cpm), gets me out of the house (sometimes free food in first class than buying/eating at home or going out), and allows me to visit places/old friends/couch surf!

Then again, clicking a few buttons to gain status also sounds tempting.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by edcho
This is true, but like many have said before I actually would prefer to earn it via Mileage Runs since its usually much cheaper per mile (3-4 cpm compared to 7 cpm), gets me out of the house (sometimes free food in first class than buying/eating at home or going out), and allows me to visit places/old friends/couch surf!

Then again, clicking a few buttons to gain status also sounds tempting.
As a data point, eqms were offered for $.07 on my recent round trip to HKG. A round trip from EWR would net 16120 (8060 x2) eqms. Purchasing 16120 additional eqms at $.07 = $1128.4. I paid about $1400 for that ticket. So purchasing eqms in this case is actually cheaper than doing the run purely for miles. R/T's to HK are running $1200 minimum these days - so buying miles, if they actually are still priced at $.07 / eqm, is more economical than flying to HK. However, in addition to this being a bad example of a mileage run, I had to be in HK for a reason other than accumulating miles.

Good mileage runs are increasingly harder to find these days. I'm starting to think that buying miles to meet certain elite thresholds makes more sense than pure mileage running when you factor in cost of meals, hotels, etc. But to each his own
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:14 pm

I guess it depends on what mileage runs you want to do. I would never do a 7 cpm mileage run! I generally lookout 3 to 4 cpm mileage runs but then again, you do have the cost of staying at a hotel (I try to mooch of friends in the city), meals, and generally don't have much of a choice in dates/destinations. Then again, one night out here in the city can run you up at-least a hundred dollars so doing MRs are generally cheaper for me. YMMV though.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by indiansfan07
As a data point, eqms were offered for $.07 on my recent round trip to HKG. A round trip from EWR would net 16120 (8060 x2) eqms. Purchasing 16120 additional eqms at $.07 = $1128.4. I paid about $1400 for that ticket. So purchasing eqms in this case is actually cheaper than doing the run purely for miles. R/T's to HK are running $1200 minimum these days - so buying miles, if they actually are still priced at $.07 / eqm, is more economical than flying to HK.
How many bonus Platinum EQM's are you getting on those purchased EQMS? That's the big difference if you're elite.

I can imagine if you're close to a threshold, picking up some EQMs this way. Otherwise, it's not a real good deal.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
How many bonus Platinum EQM's are you getting on those purchased EQMS? That's the big difference if you're elite.

I can imagine if you're close to a threshold, picking up some EQMs this way. Otherwise, it's not a real good deal.
I don't get any bonus eqm's by buying eqm's as a plat elite...I'm a little confused by your question. The only mileage bonuses I get as a plat elite is the 100% bonus RDM on flights and the 25% bonus from the Pres Plus card.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Unfortunately there are no elite bonus EQM or RDM on miles purchased through mazximizer. Would be a nice addition though. ^
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Posting Prices

Can we continue to post prices in this thread? On a recent trip, I paid 7.2 cpm. And,yes, I was offered it both at the purchase of the ticket and then again at check in.

Last year, the prices started skyrocketing in the fall and were at 41 cpm on 12/31. It would be helpful to know when prices start to climb so we can make decisions about purchasing the eqms then. You can do it without flying by purchasing a refundable ticket, buying the rdms and eqms and then canceling the ticket. There does not seem to be any prohibition against that.

I know that some folks believe that doing MRs is better but 1) I rarely see them at 3 or 4 cpm. On *A, the minimum is 5, except for some routings on Turkish for 4 if you are leaving from WAS or NYC. You can get 3 cpm on VV, but it is not *A. On UA and CO, the minimum now is 5 cpm from these airports.

So the real difference is only 2cpm on *A--and you do not have to pay for parking, food at the airport, and the wear and tear on your body. On a 5000 mile run, that is only a difference of $100. Unless I am traveling to someplace I would want to go to, I would rather pay the $100 than sit on a plane all day.

The cpm I am quoting are all-in fares. If you know how to do "tricks," you can go lower. But I am completely puzzled about how to do it--and anyone who can give tips is welcome to pm me.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: CX, UA, WN
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
So the real difference is only 2cpm on *A--and you do not have to pay for parking, food at the airport, and the wear and tear on your body. On a 5000 mile run, that is only a difference of $100. Unless I am traveling to someplace I would want to go to, I would rather pay the $100 than sit on a plane all day.
I was hoping someone would make this point. Comparing purchased EQMs to BIS EQMs based solely on cpm is absurdly misleading.

To the above I would add that a missed connection and the hotel-night pursuant to it could easily wipe out the nominal 2 cpm BIS advantage.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
I think others made the same point. I remember my two MRs PHL to SEA. I left at night and got home around 3pm the next day. I hated every minute of it since I can't sleep on planes. This option of buying EQMs can be a Godsend to anyone who doesn't want to lose a day of his/her life. Plus the difference in $ is usually minimal..@:-)
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Last year, the prices started skyrocketing in the fall and were at 41 cpm on 12/31. It would be helpful to know when prices start to climb so we can make decisions about purchasing the eqms then. You can do it without flying by purchasing a refundable ticket, buying the rdms and eqms and then canceling the ticket. There does not seem to be any prohibition against that.
They got me to pay 21 cpm for 500 miles last year. It was that or spend NYE flying to keep top tier status.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:58 pm

Can we continue to post prices in this thread? On a recent trip, I paid 7.2 cpm. And,yes, I was offered it both at the purchase of the ticket and then again at check in.
I purchased at 7.0 cpm on a tpac booked in march and flown in late may.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by boettger1
I was hoping someone would make this point. Comparing purchased EQMs to BIS EQMs based solely on cpm is absurdly misleading.

To the above I would add that a missed connection and the hotel-night pursuant to it could easily wipe out the nominal 2 cpm BIS advantage.
On the other hand, a VDB could return most (if not all) of your ticket price to you.

It's been too long since I've had a VDB offer in front of me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.