Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by jjgollum
Could someone (preferably smarter than me ) comment on the idea of buying the EQM Jan 1, 2012 or shortly after?
You could wait for the EQM price to subside to its typical base of 7 to 7.5 cents and buy 1K for $7000-7500. Alas, I don't think those dollars count toward the rumored revenue requirement.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: Freelancer
Just as a head's up. Tonight, I was told by a rep and a sup that EQM combined under UA and CO won't be counted until 2012.

The supervisor said that they would only match to the highest common level of both programs. I had 96,000 EQM with UA and 4,900 EQM with CO, he said I would only be matched to Platimum on CO, Prem Exec. on UA, and I wasn't eligible for 1K.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Happy Hour
Just as a head's up. Tonight, I was told by a rep and a sup that EQM combined under UA and CO won't be counted until 2012.

The supervisor said that they would only match to the highest common level of both programs. I had 96,000 EQM with UA and 4,900 EQM with CO, he said I would only be matched to Platimum on CO, Prem Exec. on UA, and I wasn't eligible for 1K.
I don't believe this is correct at all - IIRC, the documentation from CO and UA which announced the status match program was quite clear that they would be looking at your EQM from both programs and combining the numbers in real time to move you up to the next level whenever you hit the next threshold...otherwise no one would do the match.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Happy Hour

okay, if that is true, well that will kinda stink. i am CO Plat now, making an effort to hit 100,000 EQMs, thinking after the merger i would be given UA 1K. i for one will not be happy should what you stated be the case as i have no EQMs on UA, since i credit them all to CO.

also, only matching to the highest common level is a bit lame since CO doesn't have anything above Plat. there needs to be some clarification on this soon.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
How?

I am confused. How does one buy eqms on CO?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
I am confused. How does one buy eqms on CO?
Under your reservation (View Reservation) for a flight, you can buy miles (should be an ad box around the middle of the page). Click on purchase miles and you can check the box for double or tripple the miles. A box should appear below whatever you choose asking if you want to add Elite Maximizer. This is the EQM miles.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by edcho
Under your reservation (View Reservation) for a flight, you can buy miles (should be an ad box around the middle of the page). Click on purchase miles and you can check the box for double or tripple the miles. A box should appear below whatever you choose asking if you want to add Elite Maximizer. This is the EQM miles.
Thanks Edcho! I am seeing 30K miles for $1350 EQMs after I purchase 30K RDMs for $900. One has to be pretty desperate to take the bite.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:46 am

Thanks Edcho! I am seeing 30K miles for $1350 EQMs after I purchase 30K RDMs for $900. One has to be pretty desperate to take the bite.
It comes out to be 7 cents per mile but if you are just looking for BIS miles, I prefer mileage runs (but its your preference).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
It comes out to be 7 cents per mile but if you are just looking for BIS miles, I prefer mileage runs (but its your preference).
It's actually 7.5 cpm -- if it were truly 7 cpm, it would be $150 cheaper!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mnmag
It's actually 7.5 cpm -- if it were truly 7 cpm, it would be $150 cheaper!
Yes -- I was slightly off. It's been awhile since I did that calculation. My brain is still trying to comprehend the new MP changes.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes -- I was slightly off. It's been awhile since I did that calculation. My brain is still trying to comprehend the new MP changes.
- understood!

It is interesting, however, -- that the net cpm cost can vary depending on which itinerary one is looking at (ie. total miles), as I've seen as low as 6.8cpm in my current itineraries!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
okay, if that is true, well that will kinda stink. i am CO Plat now, making an effort to hit 100,000 EQMs, thinking after the merger i would be given UA 1K. i for one will not be happy should what you stated be the case as i have no EQMs on UA, since i credit them all to CO.

also, only matching to the highest common level is a bit lame since CO doesn't have anything above Plat. there needs to be some clarification on this soon.
I asked this exact question in an email to CS, so that I would have it in writing...read their response below:

Dear Mr. xxxx:

Thank you for contacting the OnePass Service Center.

Yes, you are correct your mileage and Elite activity will be combined for the
2012 year. Your combined Elite activity will determine your Elite status for the new Elite year. It appears you have linked both accounts and you need to do nothing further. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Regards,

xxxxx xxxxx
OnePass Service Center

We appreciate your participation in the OnePass program and your support of Continental and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future.

For OnePass program information, please visit www.continental.com and click on the Frequent Flyer tab at the top of the page. You may contact the OnePass Service Center at [email protected] or 713-952-1630, prompt #4, between 6:30am and 8:00pm Central Time Monday-Friday. If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, a list of local phone numbers may be found on our Web site under the Contact Us section.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 10 Jul 11 21:04:02
To: <[email protected]>
Cc:
Subject: 2012 Elite Status Question

Hi,

I am a Continental Gold Elite, who will make CO Platinum this year. I am flying both airlines at the moment and wanted to know if my United Mileage and Continental mileage flown this year (2011) will count towards elite status for next year (2012) when both programs are merged into mileage plus.

For example if I fly 70,000 EQMs with continental and another 40,000 EQMs with United, when the programs are merged next year, will my EQMs be 70,000 + 40,000=110,000? Will the new status also take the summed up EQMs? Please advise.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: MANY
MR usually usually yields much better deal. Elite Maximizer is for those who do not want extra travel or whose onePass balance is near the next threshold.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I suspect I am being exceedingly thick here: if I go into my current reservation on United there is something called an Award Accelerator, and the FAQs for that say "It’s important to note that Award Accelerator miles are not Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs).". Am I not seeing the wood for the trees here? Is it possible to buy EQMs on United?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I suspect I am being exceedingly thick here: if I go into my current reservation on United there is something called an Award Accelerator, and the FAQs for that say "It’s important to note that Award Accelerator miles are not Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs).". Am I not seeing the wood for the trees here? Is it possible to buy EQMs on United?
No, AFAIK it's only offered on CO right now, -- you need to view your itinerary on CO.com & then click on where it says 'buy extra miles for this trip'! Remember to click on one of the boxes offering RDMs & then the offer to buy EQMs will come up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.