Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Wow UAs marketing folks have lost it

So just got an email from MP: Just for you: Your journey to Europe starts with Mileage Plus

(I'm pretty darn sure its not just for me and they also sent this to others)

It was pretty boilerplate marketing stuff, but this part caught my eye and made me nearly fall off my chair:

Add luxury to your flight to Europe
With as few as 10,000 miles, indulge yourself
in the royal treatment in our premium cabins
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH the royal treatment you have got to be kidding me!

I have a TPAC on Sunday in C, maybe F, I wonder if the royal treatment is only on TATLs or if I should be looking forward to it on my flight as well

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm Reason: language
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I would suggest packing your crown just in case....though your scepter might not clear TSA.....
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
It means you will get treated just as well as the Kansas City Royals. Get ready to enjoy losing to the rest of the American League!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I find this interesting though. A couple years ago, the upgrade process was almost confidential. Think about it, the e500 system was beyond most mere mortals' understanding; upgrading with miles or a SWU involved calling United as it could not be done on the Web; even finding NC/NF availability wasn't doable on the web (although it's still not doable in a straightforward way at this time.) Most folks had no clue they could upgrade.

Then the Upgrade button appeared. Then HAL started asking about "Reservations, or Upgrades." Then UDU and the co-pay appeared. All while the capacity of premium cabin actually decreases. And now UA markets upgrades heavily to the masses.

I'd be curious to glance at numbers and find out how much UA makes or expects to make through co-pays, UFC, PCU, etc. Something tells me there's decent business there. $500 one way isn't exactly pocket change, but do folks splurge in the spur of the moment? Anyway, it's a rather interesting marketing change.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Unfortunately UA has decided the premium cabins should be worthy of upgraders only. For those who actually spend money on C or F tickets, take your business elsewhere. While "royal treatment" would be a bit of an exaggeration on any airline, business or first class service means very different things to other airlines. Until UA starts taking their premium service seriously, those cabins will indeed be occupied by upgraders, and their low cost tickets.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-snapshot.html
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
This email was not the "Miles Snapshot" but rather a email focused on Europe travel.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
This email was not the "Miles Snapshot" but rather a email focused on Europe travel.
If you compare it to the "miles snapshot" it is the exact same format... only difference is this week it added the term "to europe"... and the content is about europe.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pat+

I'd be curious to glance at numbers and find out how much UA makes or expects to make through co-pays, UFC, PCU, etc. Something tells me there's decent business there. $500 one way isn't exactly pocket change, but do folks splurge in the spur of the moment? Anyway, it's a rather interesting marketing change.
I have no idea how much they make from UFC etc but I bet it is some serious coin. According to this article published today they are #1 in the WORLD for ancilliary fee generation.

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2...-revenues.html
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I ain't no king

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Unfortunately UA has decided the premium cabins should be worthy of upgraders only. For those who actually spend money on C or F tickets, take your business elsewhere. While "royal treatment" would be a bit of an exaggeration on any airline, business or first class service means very different things to other airlines. Until UA starts taking their premium service seriously, those cabins will indeed be occupied by upgraders, and their low cost tickets.
Personally I just want plenty of room and a comfortable seat. Would be happy to fly with no service whatsoever, and bring my own food. Whatever savings eventually would accrue to the customer by market forces, I would spend at the destination instead where it is more possible to enjoy them. I haven't had bad service on very many flights, (as you can see I am no pro) but even the best of service fades out of the memory pretty quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.