Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by spinjockey
Sure but at least it'd save UA some money.... Then again if they didn't send out the email to those with status it'd save money.

Now what might be interesting is if the email told me I could do 1 US-EUROPE trip in F and a trip within the US in Y, etc.
The mass emails cost UA/MP practically nothing. Your wishful thinking is another story. There are lots of things I wish for...

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Not exactly. The "class of service" EQM bonus for Y/B/C/F don't show that I saw.
I should have been clearer but it is all there: Total EQMs = Flight Miles (i.e., BIS EQMs) + COS Bonus EQMs, all of which are provided.

Below is the key for those unsure:

Flight Miles = BIS EQMs
Bonus for Elite Members: self-explanatory = Bonus RDMs for elites (25% for 2P, 100% for 1P & 1K)
Bonus for booking code = COS bonus EQMs for Y/B/C/F

Addendum:

Also, at the top of My Activity tab, center column, you get more info if you click on > beside the following.

Elite status miles and elite status
segments earned

Status miles (EQM) >
Status segments (EQS) >

I am not sure what else folks want (even the CC EQMs are there because it clearly tells you which they are). You might have something to complain about regarding the redone website but lack of info on EQMs isn't one of them, unless you have not figured out where to look...

Last edited by dcshungu; Jul 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm Reason: Addendum
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
What UA has on the site now is really no different from what they had before in terms of EQM/EQS tracking. Sure, each logical segment is posted separately, but they just show the new total rather than each discrete segment. What I would like is for it to be itemized, like this:

Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What UA has on the site now is really no different from what they had before in terms of EQM/EQS tracking. Sure, each logical segment is posted separately, but they just show the new total rather than each discrete segment. What I would like is for it to be itemized, like this:

Same info is available on the UA site but maybe not as you are used to seeing it on DL, but there is an easy solution:
... join DL.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dcshungu
...I am not sure what else folks want (even the CC EQMs are there because it clearly tells you which they are). You might have something to complain about regarding the redone website but lack of info on EQMs isn't one of them, unless you have not figured out where to look...
There is no itemization of each event that earns bonus EQMs (while there is for RDMs).
Yes the bonus EQM YTD total is helpful but reconciling CoS Bonus, DEQMs, CC purchases EQMs, CC sign up bonus EQMs, .... is an exercise left to the user without an itemized list.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no itemization of each event that earns bonus EQMs (while there is for RDMs).
Yes the bonus EQM YTD total is helpful but reconciling CoS Bonus, DEQMs, CC purchases EQMs, CC sign up bonus EQMs, .... is an exercise left to the user without an itemized list.
In other words, it gives you everything except feed it you conveniently. I can get everything I want from the info provided in the Activity Tab, which gives COS bonus, flight miles, Netflix, Dining, shopping...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In other words, it gives you everything except feed it you conveniently. I can get everything I want from the info provided in the Activity Tab, which gives COS bonus, flight miles, Netflix, Dining, shopping...
It gives just the total EQMS but you need to manually derive which items are in that total. Sorry there is no way to call this convenient or complete. All we are asking for is the same approach as RDMs. In particular the Chase MP Visa credit card EQMs are well hidden still. As are promotional EQMs.

Would you feel it was acceptable not to have the individual breakout for RDMs?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:43 pm
Suspended

It gives just the total EQMS but you need to manually derive which items are in that total. Sorry there is no way to call this convenient or complete. All we are asking for is the same approach as RDMs. In particular the Chase MP Visa credit card EQMs are well hidden still. As are promotional EQMs.

Would you feel it was acceptable not to have the individual breakout for RDMs?

I guess I have no problem because I rely on my own spreadsheet and know what is what. The info from the website is just confirmatory and I find there everything I need to reconcile my records. It seems that you might want UA to do it all for you, but I find that doing my own accounting works better. The info from the website is now better organized for my purpose...

Isn't the CC part of a slightly different program, where you can exchange the CC miles for EQMs. I remember using it a year or two ago, when I converted most of my eligible CC miles to EQMs in order to re-qualify my elite status. There was a utility that showed me exactly how many miles from my CC were eligible for conversion to EQMs. I can find that utility if it is important to you.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:52 pm

I guess I have no problem because I rely on my own spreadsheet and know what is what. The info from the website is just confirmatory and I find there everything I need to reconcile my records. It seems that you might want UA to do it all for you, but I find that doing my own accounting works better. The info from the website is now better organized for my purpose... .
But when EQMs for promotions and from MP Platinum post or not and there are multiple separate items, you need to play games which have or have not posted to get the right total.

Again, why not post the same level of details as they do for RDMs

.... Isn't the CC part of a slightly different program, where you can exchange the CC miles for EQMs. I remember using it a year or two ago, when I converted most of my eligible CC miles to EQMs in order to re-qualify my elite status. There was a utility that showed me exactly how many miles from my CC were eligible for conversion to EQMs. I can find that utility if it is important to you.
For the Chase MP Visa cc you can get EQMs:
- for united.com purchases (lack of details is essentially a pain for these)
- for meeting a yearly threshold of cc purchases
- for converting Chase Choice Points ( www.united.com/choices is the website you referred to)

I understand you see no value in additional details but hope you see why others would see value.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:01 pm
Suspended

But when EQMs for promotions and from MP Platinum post or not and there are multiple separate items, you need to play games which have or have not posted to get the right total.

Again, why not post the same level of details as they do for RDMs

For the Chase MP Visa cc you can get EQMs:
- for united.com purchases (lack of details is essentially a pain for these)
- for meeting a yearly threshold of cc purchases
- for converting Chase Choice Points ( www.united.com/choices is the website you referred to)

I understand you see no value in additional details but hope you see why others would see value.
I guess maybe I am not making myself clear. I do have the details because, just like for my HH AMEX, I know how many bonus points I get for each $ spend, which purchases qualify for base points or bonus points, and how many base points (that count toward elite requal like EQMs) I get. Therefore, I do have the details....unless I do not understand what you mean by "details'... I do not feel that I am missing anything. The CC T&C tell you what is what.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Isn't the CC part of a slightly different program, where you can exchange the CC miles for EQMs. I remember using it a year or two ago, when I converted most of my eligible CC miles to EQMs in order to re-qualify my elite status. There was a utility that showed me exactly how many miles from my CC were eligible for conversion to EQMs. I can find that utility if it is important to you.
Is it fair to assume you don't have an EQM-earning VISA card?

I guess maybe I am not making myself clear. I do have the details because, just like for my HH AMEX, I know how many bonus points I get for each $ spend, which purchases qualify for base points or bonus points, and how many base points (that count toward elite requal like EQMs) I get. Therefore, I do have the details....unless I do not understand what you mean by "details'... I do not feel that I am missing anything. The CC T&C tell you what is what.
Imagine your bank would not show you any interest earned and bank charges/fees paid as explicit line items on your bank statement and just "lump" them into the current grand total. Yes, you can keep track of that yourself in a spreadsheet and when the grand total makes no sense, you can try and reconcile it all. But would you like to do that?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:25 pm

Sorry you are missing the point
- The MP Visa EQMs do not post on the same monthly schedule as the normal monthly RDMs. They post a month or two later. And only united.com purchases earn EQMs - not all united purchases. And maybe if done via web support.
- Promotional EQMs have posted sometimes weeks after the earning event or weeks after the close of the promotion. And at times it is unclear which flights are eligible -- just need to read the various DEQM threads is see this uncertainty.

So in month xxx, 500 EQMs post, now was it for the $500 united.com purchase a few months back or was it for that DEQM flight that I was unsure if it qualified or was it the CoS bonus for AAA-BBB. Or do I need to wait a few more months for the dust to settle. Very hard to know when to query if you are unsure if some EQMs have or have not posted. Very opaque. This is the missing detail - what was the activity that created an increase in the total EQMs since all the above are lumped into the single category -- bonus EQMs.

In 2009, I had 26 separate items in the "bonus" EQM category (as many as 4 or 5 in some months to reconcile)

Are you a regular MP Visa Platinum user??
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3MM; AA ExecPlat 1.2MM
I guess I have no problem because I rely on my own spreadsheet and know what is what.
And with the new .bomb, my simple cut and paste into my spreadsheet for first pass confirmation no longer works.

But on the positive side I have learned how to separate numbers and text by text character position in Excel, which I never would have had a reason to learn previously.

And I agree with WineCountryUA that the random nature of JPMC MP Visa MPQ deposits makes tracking and verifying them a PITA; the purchases show up as RDM (sometimes) but it seems to me that it would be dead simple to drop the EQM into the record as bonus, but it seems to elude our friends in MP IT.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is it fair to assume you don't have an EQM-earning VISA card?
Assumption is wrong. I have UA Visa Signature for which I just got $60 credit as a waiver for the membership for being 1K. It earns 1 mile for each $ (renewal T&C initially said 2 for 1 but then just yesterday it was amended.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Imagine your bank would not show you any interest earned and bank charges/fees paid as explicit line items on your bank statement and just "lump" them into the current grand total. Yes, you can keep track of that yourself in a spreadsheet and when the grand total makes no sense, you can try and reconcile it all. But would you like to do that?
That is exactly what I do! As one who does itemized deductions it helps me at tax time a lot! I travel extensively and must account for my expenses. I find that what the UA website provides is plenty for my purposes, since it confirms what I have in my spreadsheet. You want to be held by the hand to get it done, fine by me.

Sorry you are missing the point
- The MP Visa EQMs do not post on the same monthly schedule as the normal monthly RDMs. They post a month or two later. And only united.com purchases earn EQMs - not all united purchases. And maybe if done via web support.
- Promotional EQMs have posted sometimes weeks after the earning event or weeks after the close of the promotion. And at times it is unclear which flights are eligible -- just need to read the various DEQM threads is see this uncertainty.

So in month xxx, 500 EQMs post, now was it for the $500 united.com purchase a few months back or was it for that DEQM flight that I was unsure if it qualified or was it the CoS bonus for AAA-BBB. Or do I need to wait a few more months for the dust to settle. Very hard to know when to query if you are unsure if some EQMs have or have not posted. Very opaque. This is the missing detail - what was the activity that created an increase in the total EQMs since all the above are lumped into the single category -- bonus EQMs.

In 2009, I had 26 separate items in the "bonus" EQM category (as many as 4 or 5 in some months to reconcile)

Are you a regular MP Visa Platinum user??
This is becoming circular. To each his/her own. I use various credit cards for various reasons (e.g., travel insurance might be better with one, corporate card for convenience, or I can turn earned AMEX "membership reward" points to my HH points, which you cannot do with RDMs, etc...). I keep track of it all, and rather easily, actually. MP Visa is just one of many cards that I use, and I am beginning to see the crux of this opinion difference...et vive la difference!

A practical question: Do you feel that the fact that the EQM info has not been provided to you on silver platter had a practical consequence on your EQM earnings? Do you feel you were not awarded some of the EQMs that you deserved (of course, you might not know this because some of it is not obvious to you in the way it is presented)?....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 2010 at 6:49 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1k
Agree that tracking EQM's via website is impossible. And just found out why I had more EQMs than I could figure...CC EQMs. Duh. But does point out need for website to dumb down for idiots like me.

This is becoming circular. To each his/her own. I use various credit cards for various reasons (e.g., travel insurance might be better with one, corporate card for convenience, or I can turn earned AMEX "membership reward" points to my HH points, which you cannot do with RDMs, etc...). I keep track of it all, and rather easily, actually. MP Visa is just one of many cards that I use, and I am beginning to see the crux of this opinion difference...et vive la difference!

A practical question: Do you feel that the fact that the EQM info has not been provided to you on silver platter had a practical consequence on your EQM earnings? Do you feel you were not awarded some of the EQMs that you deserved (of course, you might not know this because some of it not obvious to you in the way it is presented)?....
I would like it on a silver platter and don't feel that is an unreasonable request. The lack of transparency compared to RDMs and the value of EQMs, especially for marginal flyers such as myself, makes many anxious as to whether we are getting ripped, intentionally or by a system glitch. While you may get some psychic benefit from running your spreadsheets, to me you should deduct the time you spend on them from the value of the various elite programs. Theoretically you could take that time and earn "real" dollars to spend at will, rather than in the confines of the programs. Since most folk do NOT get that psychic benefit, they correctly resent the need to track it as you do, and feel the diminished value of the mileage program. And the annoyance is enhanced, because it is patently obvious that the information could be provided cleanly by looking at the fairly crisp display of RDMs.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 2010 at 6:50 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by latimeriv
I would like it on a silver platter and don't feel that is an unreasonable request. The lack of transparency compared to RDMs and the value of EQMs, especially for marginal flyers such as myself, makes many anxious as to whether we are getting ripped, intentionally or by a system glitch. While you may get some psychic benefit from running your spreadsheets, to me you should deduct the time you spend on them from the value of the various elite programs. Theoretically you could take that time and earn "real" dollars to spend at will, rather than in the confines of the programs. Since most folk do NOT get that psychic benefit, they correctly resent the need to track it as you do, and feel the diminished value of the mileage program. And the annoyance is enhanced, because it is patently obvious that the information could be provided cleanly by looking at the fairly crisp display of RDMs.
Beyond my control, but I will sign a petition if it would make UA provide you with the info in a way that you like. I happen to have a different need than yours and have not found any discrepancies between the EQMs posted and my own accounting that could not be explained with available info. Bottom line: I do not do enough business on my MP CC to really care. I am an AMEX guy because of other perks that I get by using those cards for my business or personal travel. This is where I exit this "debate."

Last edited by dcshungu; Jul 20, 2010 at 6:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.