Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:13 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HNLescapee
I have a grand plan that someday when I get married I'll have my bachelor party in Tokyo over a long weekend and fly us all there in C or F. I want to see how many people I can take with me.

Seriously.
"Saki and strippers" That would make for an interesting Do title
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
its biggest failure is that it didn't do what many of us wanted, which is to provide a way of tracking each EQM accrual. .
Yeah that's my only beef with the new website, too. Other than that I'm OK with it, I guess. I did chuckle a bit at the Miles SNapshot email... but as noted, the vast majority of the recipients of said email are not keeping an eye on their miles that closely.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I disagree. It has the same information, but takes more clicks to get to much of it. The gratuitous graphics take up far too much screen real estate.
Thanks mahasamatman... it's dreadful... I'm visual, too, but I don't need the entire screen covered by the bar charts. Too much work to find the data.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA
what would the message be if you don't have 25K miles?

Originally Posted by HNLescapee
I haven't seen this on the forum yet, but it arrived in my e-mail in-box about 5 minutes ago:

"New: your miles snapshot - a weekly guide to maximize miles"

This would be welcome if it actually told me anything I didn't already know (or wasn't signed up for). I appreciate that UA is trying to get some more casual travellers on board with different ways to earn miles, but perhaps it should be targeted to them. However, my favorite statement is the bold line at the top of the e-mail:

"HNLescapee, you have 641,512 award miles. That's enough for a roundtrip flight.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nihaoa
what would the message be if you don't have 25K miles?
I had my wife forward the email she got from MP (she thinks I'm nuts, btw). It reads:

"gobluewife, you have 16,xxx award miles."

That's it. Nothing else. I would have expected something like, "Only 8,xxx more miles until a free ticket!" but nope.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I wholly agree with the criticism of the new website--for me, its biggest failure is that it didn't do what many of us wanted, which is to provide a way of tracking each EQM accrual.
Maybe I am missing something but the MP Activity page does provide the total EQM, the EQM per flight, and the elite and COS bonus RDMs. The bar at the top is 100K or 50K or 25K minus your current EQM, and is updated every time you accumulate EQMs. So, what else is it that you need to know?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
What i would have wanted is EQM earned per flight segment or other activity (eg, CC), the same way they breakdown RDMs in your detailed activity. Delta does this on their mileage summary, with columns for base RDM, bonus, and EQM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I disagree. It has the same information, but takes more clicks to get to much of it. The gratuitous graphics take up far too much screen real estate.
New information is EQM breakdown
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P, A|Club G, DL SM, SPG G
They basically stole the layout from Starbucks' reward program, but it's fine since that's probably the best layout and design and everybody is stealing it.

I think the new design is infinitely better, and this is from someone who has had his nose in wireframes and web approvals for the last two weeks.

As for the EQM accrual, I'm sure the web team know you want it. Someone above them simply said not to do it, or it's probably planned for a future update. It's not like people are oblivious to this ....-- ok, you'd be surprised how awful some people are at layout and functionality, but this group looks like they know what they're doing or at least know who to steal from.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by dcshungu
Maybe I am missing something but the MP Activity page does provide the total EQM, the EQM per flight, and the elite and COS bonus RDMs.
Where do you see EQM per flight? I only see RDMs.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What i would have wanted is EQM earned per flight segment or other activity (eg, CC), the same way they breakdown RDMs in your detailed activity. Delta does this on their mileage summary, with columns for base RDM, bonus, and EQM.
I just did:

BUD->FRA on LH
FRA-> IAD on UA
IAD-> LGA on UX

EQMs for each one of those logical segments are posted separately.

I previously did on the same trip:
JFK->SFO
SF0->HKG
HKG->SIN
SIN->NRT
NRT->SEA
SEA->IAD
IAD->JFK

EQMs for each logical segment posted separately

RDMs from Dining, NetFlix, etc, are also posted separately. Maybe just the CC EQMs do not show but isn't that part of slight different program [name for it escapes me]? But the EQMs from my CC spend are simply negligible compared to my TRANSCON-INTERCON EQMS to where I would not at all complain that the feature is not provided in the redone website.

Then again, there is always the option to join DL...

Originally Posted by hmy1
Where do you see EQM per flight? I only see RDMs.
Actual flight miles = EQM.

BTW, don't tell me you do not have your own spreadsheet tracking your anticipated and earned EQMs! I do, and if they do not match after each trip, and I do not know why I call 1KVoice...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It was a pretty dreadful email. Just like the new site. Monkeys could do better.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Monkeys could do better.
...probably still hate it too...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA ExP
...probably still hate it too...
Sure but at least it'd save UA some money.... Then again if they didn't send out the email to those with status it'd save money.

Now what might be interesting is if the email told me I could do 1 US-EUROPE trip in F and a trip within the US in Y, etc.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:08 am

When I saw the "Miles Snapshot" I thought it would be like what Lufthansa does for SEN -- a world map with the flight activity showing on it (lines between cities). Sadly, no such thing.

Actual flight miles = EQM.
Not exactly. The "class of service" EQM bonus for Y/B/C/F don't show that I saw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.