FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1105764-dreadful-new-website-spreads-email-marketing-communication-miles-snapshot.html)

HNLescapee Jul 14, 2010 1:48 pm

The dreadful new website spreads to email marketing communication "Miles Snapshot"

I haven't seen this on the forum yet, but it arrived in my e-mail in-box about 5 minutes ago:

"New: your miles snapshot - a weekly guide to maximize miles"

This would be welcome if it actually told me anything I didn't already know (or wasn't signed up for). I appreciate that UA is trying to get some more casual travellers on board with different ways to earn miles, but perhaps it should be targeted to them. However, my favorite statement is the bold line at the top of the e-mail:

"HNLescapee, you have 641,512 award miles. That's enough for a roundtrip flight.

TechnoPagan Jul 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by HNLescapee (Post 14300145)
I haven't seen this on the forum yet, but it arrived in my e-mail in-box about 5 minutes ago:

"New: your miles snapshot - a weekly guide to maximize miles"

This would be welcome if it actually told me anything I didn't already know (or wasn't signed up for). I appreciate that UA is trying to get some more casual travellers on board with different ways to earn miles, but perhaps it should be targeted to them. However, my favorite statement is the bold line at the top of the e-mail:

"HNLescapee, you have 641,512 award miles. That's enough for a roundtrip flight.

I just got it too and agree, meh.

BTW, you're getting ripped off, I have only 156,000 mile and I have enough for a roundtrip flight :D

HNLescapee Jul 14, 2010 2:00 pm

So you're saying it's okay to go ahead and book that ORD-DEN RT that I've been saving up for...? :p

rustyr Jul 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Window dressing w/suggestions to burn the miles. On another note it seems they are following AA's lead with topics for elites sent out in 4-5 seperate emails. I think I rec'vd the upgrade one from UA last week.

mudba Jul 14, 2010 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoPagan (Post 14300190)
I just got it too and agree, meh.

BTW, you're getting ripped off, I have only 156,000 mile and I have enough for a roundtrip flight :D

I can get a Rt for only 120,000. :D

The Mileage Millionaire Jul 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by HNLescapee (Post 14300145)

On Delta, that's enough miles for ONE roundtrip!

Madone59 Jul 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Weekly Shapshot

I recieved this E-mail too, but I was shorted 3,000 miles that are in my MP account. Does that mean if I spend the 109,000 miles on a RT which I qualify for I can keep the 3,000 :D

WWBGD Jul 14, 2010 2:38 pm

rt

My wife has all of you beat.

She can get a RT for only 33k miles...what a bargain.

Mine costs 456k. I think I will use her miles instead of mine.

wwbgd

ua1flyer Jul 14, 2010 2:57 pm

I can now get a trip for a little over 2 million miles." To the moon Alice!"

travelsavant Jul 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer (Post 14300572)
I can now get a trip for a little over 2 million miles." To the moon Alice!"

Lol but wrong airline - with those miles call Sir Richard & start dealing!:D Status match challenge?

Cohall Jul 14, 2010 3:54 pm

I especially like that it's a 'Weekly Snapshot', but the mileage balance in the email is about 10 days old "Summary as of 07/05/2010".

So each week they'll be sending me completely wrong mileage data. That sounds thrilling.

Time to write another rule in Outlook.

dcshungu Jul 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 14300344)
I recieved this E-mail too, but I was shorted 3,000 miles that are in my MP account. Does that mean if I spend the 109,000 miles on a RT which I qualify for I can keep the 3,000 :D

By the time the weekly "Miles Snapshot" is delivered, it is likely to be meaningless and outdated. I was shorted nearly 20,000 miles compared to the current info in my account...

dsquared37 Jul 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dcshungu (Post 14300940)
By the time the weekly "Miles Snapshot" is delivered, it is likely to be meaningless and outdated. I was shorted nearly 20,000 miles compared to the current info in my account...

But could you still get a round trip? :D

socalsun Jul 14, 2010 7:16 pm

The total was from right before my Chase 50k bonus miles had posted...I had a near heart attack thinking they had been reversed for some reason before noticing that the balance was way old.

chitownflyer Jul 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Exactly.