Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
For the purposes of this discussion it doesn't matter whether anything written in this forum is valuable to GT or to UA. It doesn't matter if he categorically disagrees with every word ever posted here or thinks in his heart of hearts we are all whiny losers. What matters is that the top spokesman for a company openly insulted a huge number of his most loyal customers. There were any number of ways he could have deflected the question: how about "a lot of people have concerns, from bloggers to everyday flyers, we understand that and we're going to work to gain their trust". Anyone with 10 minutes of media training can come up with hundreds of other innocuous deflections. That he chose to be dismissive and insulting TO HIS LOYAL CUSTOMERS is inexcusable. Good riddance.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Unfortunately, the recent comments by both of the top guys at the New United showed just how small they are, and how justified many comments to that effect on these boards have been.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by daslax
For the purposes of this discussion it doesn't matter whether anything written in this forum is valuable to GT or to UA. It doesn't matter if he categorically disagrees with every word ever posted here or thinks in his heart of hearts we are all whiny losers. What matters is that the top spokesman for a company openly insulted a huge number of his most loyal customers. There were any number of ways he could have deflected the question: how about "a lot of people have concerns, from bloggers to everyday flyers, we understand that and we're going to work to gain their trust". Anyone with 10 minutes of media training can come up with hundreds of other innocuous deflections. That he chose to be dismissive and insulting TO HIS LOYAL CUSTOMERS is inexcusable. Good riddance.
We have a saying in the CO forum: The brick does not love you back.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
What a putz. We are just better at multi-tasking than he is. Right now, I'm on a conference call, putting together a ppt and typing this. What's he doing?
Enjoying a hot tub full of Krug and supermodels, or finding some other way to enjoy the giant payday he collects when this baby closes.

Originally Posted by transpac
I susepct you don't follow the UA/MP - FT relationship very much. The attitude on the legacy UA side has been overwhelmingly positive. Over ~ 10 years UA/MP have been incredibly responsive to issues raised on FT. They have implemented changes we asked for, and reversed poor decisons many times. Early granting of SWU's, extension of SWUs, CR-1 reversal, grandfathering 500 miler conversion, gfowler's 5x promotion, easy upgrade sponsorship, reversing the H-fare min. on SWU's are just a few that come to mind. But if you're saying it will get even better then I say "great".

I have no problem with Tilton's response not do I take it personally but he might have said, "As this is the largest airline merger it is drawing the attention of our loyal customers. We value their business, and feedback, and hope to serve them going forward."
And lets not forget the supercool SFO maintenance base tour, or inviting us to their employee day with the Blue Angels.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 4, 2010 at 11:00 pm Reason: merge
Old May 5, 2010, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
One of the many advantages of this merger is a consequence of CO management taking the helm: CO has a much better history of participating in, and listening to members of, social media.

Glenn Tilton is a 1990s construct. I'm guessing he may still have his secretary print hard copies of e-mails for him.
I'm thinking he still dictates messages for his secretary to type up.

Originally Posted by ORD4R
He answers to a board of directors and majority stockholders who are thrilled with his work. Tilton will be a highly sought executive even after leaves United.
I'd be thrilled with his work too, if I, being otherwise unemployable, were elected to the board

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 5, 2010 at 8:35 am Reason: merge
Old May 5, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
81 posts and nobody has the decency to at least quote exactly what Tilton said before "certifying him as an idiot"? Maybe Tilton has a point...

QUEST: Right, now you`ve skated to my territory. Let`s talk about the business flyer and exactly-if I look at some of the online blogs, in the last 24 hours, Glenn, you are either doing a deal that is about to destroy the best airline in the world, or Jeff, you are getting into bed with the devil and you should be removed and taken out and shot. I mean, they simply-the online flyer talk community is-can`t decide which of the airlines they think is getting the best or the worst.

(CROSS TALK)

TILTON: I think, Richard, that the online bloggers community has too much free time.

SMISEK: Yes, I think they`re-I think they`re-both side are wrong, Richard. What we`re bringing together is an airline, Continental, which is know for its culture, is known for its extraordinary service levels, with a carrier like United, with a great worldwide brand, great assets, and great operational performance and operational integrity.

What customers want is high quality service and an airline that operates on time and can be relied upon.
Full transcript:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...04/qmb.01.html
Old May 5, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by tmm1012
I think the point is, just because someone (or a group of someones) has "too much time on their hands" and often post about things like the temperature of nuts, that doesn't discredit the fact that we are - as TechnoPagan put it - representative of the larger lucrative customer base...
I'm not sure I (or United) agrees with that.

In my short tenure at United, I felt the attitude towards FlyerTalkers was more one of "upgraders on cheap economy fares" and customers who earned elite status on the cheapest economy fares. Of course, legacy carriers like AA and UA created this conundrum when they built loyalty programs with far more emphasis on miles flown than on dollars spent. They have tried to mitigate it with things like 150% EQMs for higher fares, but even that enticement is still based on mileage flown.

Not to suggest that there aren't high revenue FlyerTalkers or UGS members on this board. But then, how many posts do we see complaining about not being able to upgrade to sit in Business Class across the Pacific because you can't use a SWU on the lowest Economy fares from 1Ks who flew 50,000 EQMs on S, L, and T fares as mileage runs during the DEQM promotion last year? In fact, that subject has already appeared in the merger threads.

Personally I don't take any offense to Glenn's comment. To be honest, it seems to me like if that comment offends you, then maybe it is true that you do have a little too much time on your hands

Seriously though, United is quite lucky to have so many customers who feel so passionately about its future.
Old May 5, 2010, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by ORD4R
... Tilton will be a highly sought executive even after leaves United ...
Tilton for President!

In his first term he'd put the country into 3-year CH11.
Second term? How about "merging" USA with Zimbabwe?
Old May 5, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by as219
Incredible. Of all the possible ways to respond to that question, he finds the least politic, most insulting, and unproductive way.

Just goes to show...
Agree. But what one would expect from someone so out of touch.
Old May 5, 2010, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
[LIST=1][*]Even if he believes to the depths of his heart that statement to be true, why on earth would he make a very public comment about it?
He was avoiding answering a different question, that's all. If he were smarter/quicker on his feet he'd have found another method of deflecting.

I honestly don't know why people are so hot and bothered about this careless, meaningless remark.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:18 am

"C'mon Nick...the hour groweth late...fess up"

If anyone can catch this movie reference...good for you!
Old May 5, 2010, 6:58 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by GVA
large part of his most lucrative customer base
That should read "large part of his LEAST lucrative customer base".
Old May 5, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, Marriott
89 comments debating whether or not we have too much time on our hands and counting...
Old May 5, 2010, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ucla99
89 comments debating whether or not we have too much time on our hands and counting...
!

And apparently it's him that's the "certifiable idiot"!
Old May 5, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: UGS/1K, UA MM flyer, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
well if one was to objectively look at some of the threads on FT its not a stretch to say some have too much free time. As pointed out the lengthly thread about the livery, how many threads are there about the temperature of nuts? How much $$ should I get for <insert sometimes legitimate sometimes not wrong here>? A whole forum dedicated to the act of flying for no reason other than to get more miles (if that doesn't say too much time I don't know what does!) etc. etc.
Roger that. Glenn is spot on with his FT observation.

Seriously: There is nothing wrong with having a hobby. Hobbies oftentimes do not make a lot of sense to someone not involved in the hobby. Extensive posts on FT are a hobby.

There are, of course, useful insights and "trend marking" when the sum total of various FT comments are tallied. I am sure there is someone, somewhere within United that takes a view on this, and prepares an appropriate report.

In short, from Glenn's viewpoint, all that matters is folks purchasing tickets to fly on United. MileagePlus, E+, upgrade policy, IRROPS, route structure, etc. all play into this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.