Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by ucla99
I'd agree, (some) FTs do have too much time on their hands

However, Tilton needs to understand what social media is about. It's the quick sharing of information. There's a lot of good info on FT and also a lot of random dribble. Just got to sort thru the good and try not to contribute too much to the other random.

I'm sure UA has people that frequently look at FT and other blogs to get an insight into its customers. If they're wondering about how mobile checking is going, they can search FT, see if people are talking about it, see what problems or complaints their flyer have about the program. Same w/ UDUs, changes to terminals, level of compensation given for problems, etc. FT has provided the airlines with more, unfiltered and cost effective (i.e. free) feedback than they could've ever received from customers in the past.

Granted, FT is not going to change the merger/acquisition, nor should it. FTers provide a customer perspective on issues. It's up to the companies to figure out how to integrate this input with all the other inputs (financial, legal, employees, unions, shareholders, etc.).
+1, well said.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
I hope that for UA fans/loyalists/etc., Tilton's comments have shown you a glimpse of what many of us not so smitten by United have often observed or experienced from the airline - a tone-deaf indifference if not hostility to the customer. CO's leaders would never say such a thing - indeed, CO maintains a formal presence on FlyerTalk, and has repeatedly adopted ideas and suggestions from FlyerTalkers as improvements for the airline. A change in identity will hopefully promote a change in attitude on the legacy UA side.
Or a change in responsiveness from CO "Customer Disservice." When CO lost my paper ticket and threatened to strand me in DEL until I found it, I didn't need a rep on FT. I needed someone who would help. When I was in FRA airport and a UA plane wasn't going to fly because of mechanical, two UA agents searched alternative flights for me and I got home. I didn't need to rely on GT, but fortunately I didn't have to rely on CO staff. If I did, I'd still be in Delhi.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
"Free Time"

Isn't our goal in life to arrive at that time in career or retirement where our time is our own and by definition 'free time' to spend doing whatever we please?

Personally, I am a frequent Flier because I have to be. I would be the FIRST to put my measly 1K status away if I could afford a corporate jet OR if I could make the same impact doing my job without flying a single mile. If I could figure out how to only fly for my own pleasure, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, United was correct years ago, and you cannot fax a handshake.

So until my time is all my own, I have to spend quite a chunk of it at 35,000 ft, and more troubling, a great deal of time at sea level in airport terminals. Therefore I chose to make that time more efficient and less painful by mastering the mileage 'game' and following and participating in forums such as Flyertalk. Is that time 'free time'? Well, it is not the 'free time' that I aspire to and it is certainly not time spent with my family or doing the things that I enjoy, so there is certainly an opportunity cost I am paying, but if Mr. Tilton has so little regard for 'my time' that he categorizes it as without personal investment, then I think that says quite a bit about his operating paradigm.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K , AA PLAT, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by benblaney
OMG.

Secondly, that was clearly a gambit to avoid answering the question, and nothing more. Big deal. Get over it.

+1

Isn't this the same tactic used in politics all the time, instead of answering the question u just call the question (or person) stupid...
Old May 4, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
A few months ago, a senior VP of UA gave a talk to a large group. I was there. During the Q&A he was specifically asked about how UA sees FT, and what the company is doing to listen more to its well-involved customers on FT. He said, "We've hired a consultant to study that." 'nuff said?
Old May 4, 2010, 7:20 pm

LOL. Maybe now you can understand employees who objected to his arrogance. And some of you told us "if we don't like it, seek employment elsewhere". It doesn't feel very good to be on the receiving end, does it?

In a few years I suspect Mr Tilton will also have time on his hands! Perhaps you should invite him to join FT.

To those of you who use this forum to help each other ... good on ya! It has great value to those who are no so cluey about upgrades, seats, routes etc. Keep up that good work.

Thanks for your business, and I for one, look forward to the merger. It will at times be difficult, but stick with us. This will be better than ever. Oh, and don't worry ... the nuts will still be warm.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2M
I guess we're just another part of the "vocal minority". Now I'm waiting for the wristband that says "Glenn is gone".
Old May 4, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Based on that Tilton's remark, I have now concluded that he is certifiably an idiot.
  1. Even if he believes to the depths of his heart that statement to be true, why on earth would he make a very public comment about it?
  2. Flyertalk offers a tremendous amount of customer feedback. Yes, an awful lot of it could be classified as drivel, however there many, many worthwhile "nuggets" to be gleaned from it.

On a different note, I do think Quest's question was poorly worded, sort of like asking someone if they would prefer their right hand chopped off or their left eye poked out. Really no good way to answer his question.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Exclamation Glenn Tilton is correct,disliked and a great executive!

Originally Posted by GVA
The last question Quest has was: "On the internet bloggers are all over this merger. Flyertalkers are having a hard time determining if one airline is destroying the best or if the other is making the worst decision in its history."

Glenn Tilton immediately replied "I'd reply that these online bloggers have way too much time on their hands."
I think this question and answer demonstrates why he is both an excellent executive and disliked by many people. He clearly thought the question was stupid, which it is and his reply is absolutely correct. Tilton knows how to make a crisp analysis of a situation and stated his analysis without hesitation because he knows he is right. Glenn Tilton is disliked because he speaks the truth and does not care if he alienates people, particularly people who don't matter like flyertalkers.

He answers to a board of directors and majority stockholders who are thrilled with his work. Tilton will be a highly sought executive even after leaves United.

In my opinion the merger topic has brought out the worst in flyertalk and any executive who gives its input any value needs to have his head examined. Flyertalk could be valuable market research but the noise to data ratio is just too high for this topic.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:57 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Hey, at least he didn't call us "ugly girls".

I suspect Mr Tilton is just a tad out of touch.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
CO maintains a formal presence on FlyerTalk, and has repeatedly adopted ideas and suggestions from FlyerTalkers as improvements for the airline. A change in identity will hopefully promote a change in attitude on the legacy UA side.

CO needs to have active participation and monitoring of FT because they, for the most part, don't have a working CS organization.

If CO didn't listen to FT, I don't know what they'd listen to. Last time I called their CS line to report something, the rep didn't even want to document the call. They are highly trained in dismissing you on the spot.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by smn
In the same interview, he also said that he only reads the positive comments from customers about how well they are doing and prefers to ignore anything else
LOL....Typical.....Enough to make me head to NH for the rest of the year....darnit where are those lay flat seats....
Old May 4, 2010, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope that for UA fans/loyalists/etc., Tilton's comments have shown you a glimpse of what many of us not so smitten by United have often observed or experienced from the airline - a tone-deaf indifference if not hostility to the customer. CO's leaders would never say such a thing - indeed, CO maintains a formal presence on FlyerTalk, and has repeatedly adopted ideas and suggestions from FlyerTalkers as improvements for the airline. A change in identity will hopefully promote a change in attitude on the legacy UA side.
I susepct you don't follow the UA/MP - FT relationship very much. The attitude on the legacy UA side has been overwhelmingly positive. Over ~ 10 years UA/MP have been incredibly responsive to issues raised on FT. They have implemented changes we asked for, and reversed poor decisons many times. Early granting of SWU's, extension of SWUs, CR-1 reversal, grandfathering 500 miler conversion, gfowler's 5x promotion, easy upgrade sponsorship, reversing the H-fare min. on SWU's are just a few that come to mind. But if you're saying it will get even better then I say "great".

I have no problem with Tilton's response not do I take it personally but he might have said, "As this is the largest airline merger it is drawing the attention of our loyal customers. We value their business, and feedback, and hope to serve them going forward."

Last edited by transpac; May 4, 2010 at 9:50 pm
Old May 4, 2010, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ash_79
+1

Isn't this the same tactic used in politics all the time, instead of answering the question u just call the question (or person) stupid...

Yeah, it's done all the time on FT when a new poster asks a question!
Old May 4, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ORD4R
I think this question and answer demonstrates why he is both an excellent executive and disliked by many people. He clearly thought the question was stupid, which it is and his reply is absolutely correct. Tilton knows how to make a crisp analysis of a situation and stated his analysis without hesitation because he knows he is right. Glenn Tilton is disliked because he speaks the truth and does not care if he alienates people, particularly people who don't matter like flyertalkers.

He answers to a board of directors and majority stockholders who are thrilled with his work. Tilton will be a highly sought executive even after leaves United.
As a chief executive, making a demeaning remark about a subset of your best customers is considered a respectable response when asked about their use of an innovative crowdsourcing technology about which you're apparently ignorant? I guess restraint and reserve is for wimps.

Originally Posted by ORD4R
In my opinion the merger topic has brought out the worst in flyertalk and any executive who gives its input any value needs to have his head examined. Flyertalk could be valuable market research but the noise to data ratio is just too high for this topic.
Even UA seeks FTers to sample food. All the most forward-thinking companies engage their customers online. That is reality. Even if most of the "@UnitedAirlines" tweets are cringe-inducing in their level of knowledge about how airlines work, that doesn't mean UA should cower from Twitter. And just because there's a lot of emotional noise here on FT, the valuable data is worth the gleaning.

CO Insider, Starwood Lurker, and other official reps on FT see the value here. I hope the new UA will get with the program. Many FTers are more than happy to provide constructive feedback for free, even if we're blowhards sometimes. The future is here. Making like an ostrich will not change that fact. And overtly dismissing us because we're whiny proles who don't matter is just arrogant and mean. No leader, corporate or otherwise, should ever find that kind of attitude acceptable.

Originally Posted by transpac
I have no problem with Tilton's response not do I take it personally but he might have said, "As this is the largest airline merger it is drawing the attention of our loyal customers. We value their business, and feedback, and hope to serve them going forward."
Exactly. Diplomacy should be the default position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.