Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
Large part? I don't think I agree. I'd bet there are 100's of GS and 1000's of 1K's that have never heard of FT. I'd say certainly "representative" of the larger "lucrative customer base".
In the 2008 Team Competition, 50% of the winning teams were registered on FT... Now, I understand that alot of GS and 1Ks did not participate in that competition, however, I think that FT definately represents a large part of the most frequent fliers on UA.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Struck me right off as the first shot of the loose cannon that Mr. Tilton has been officially anointed. Look for more to come.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by GVA
Does Tilton not realize that flyertalkers make up a large part of his most lucrative customer base and may legitimately have worries after seeing how the Delta/NW merger went down.
Not true! We (those of us who actually post, not counting the "lurkers") are a very small subset of a very small subset of all the air travelers out there. Just because we share our interests on this forum doesn't mean that the opinions we express reflect even remotely the thinking of the traveling public at large. Methinks we are all prone to delusions of self-grandeur from time to time, and to think that FT speaks for all frequent fliers is an instance of that.

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
.... I say he's pegged us bang on. If FT wants to be more respected, it has to be more respectable.

I'll be the first to stand up and say that we have a great, knowledge base, and are experts in many respects. But to get the respect that come with being experts, we need to raise the quality starting at the bottom level.
I agree, there is a treasure trove of information inside FT. It doesn't negate GT's statement, imo, but it also means that having too much time on our hands isn't necessarily a bad thing. We are in many ways the industry watchdog that keeps the airlines honest to their words and policies. And once in a while, we can start a rebellion, too.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
I think there are a lot of legitimate concerns being discussed; of course there is also 25 pages of discussion mostly on the font on the side of the planes.
Fonts aren't trivial. I'm sure apple gives more thought to fonts than UA does. Based on profitability of the respective companies, I'd say that considering a font is an important part of building value in a brand.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by debua1k
In the 2008 Team Competition, 50% of the winning teams were registered on FT... Now, I understand that alot of GS and 1Ks did not participate in that competition, however, I think that FT definately represents a large part of the most frequent fliers on UA.
That only proves (as if we didn't know) that FTers are aware of the various FF promotions and tend to participate - most likely at a higher rate than the general FF community (ie "road warriors").

We are a strange breed, most people just print the BP and fly.

Originally Posted by tulippicker
Fonts aren't trivial. I'm sure apple gives more thought to fonts than UA does. Based on profitability of the respective companies, I'd say that considering a font is an important part of building value in a brand.
I don't care what is on the outside of the plane if I am stuck with an E- only airline - that was my point - there are bigger fish to fry...
Old May 4, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
So we waste time talking with each other. That is part of the wonder of Social Media. That Mr. Tilton is clueless about SM is obvious. That he won't be the surviving CEO is marvelous. There are more basic things than FT about which he's apparently lacking good data. Anyway, since when is it any business of his what we do for enjoyment or how much time we do it, as long as we pay well for the flying we do.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:36 pm

The statement "you have too much time on your hands" -- is my biggest pet peeve phrase ever. I wish would retire from water cooler chat, and am insulted to see it used at this high a level. It's a weak comeback statement to anyone who shares something the other doesn't approve of or feels is inferior.

So long as you're not a financially parasitic bum how is it a BAD thing to have FREE time (on your hands) to engage in life activities you like?

If one likes to quibble and discuss airline routes and amenities, blog about asparagus, construct model railroads or simply feed ducks in the park - then great for them. If you HAVE time to do the things you like in life that's a sign of success. It makes it seem as though life's only options are full time work in the trenches, clothing the poor 24/7 or watching TV- and nothing else.

And as mentioned - insulting those that use social media, rather than engaging and encouraging the sharing of ideas and experiences, is nothing less than marketing idiocy.

Last edited by jamesdenver; May 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm
Old May 4, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by koroleon
So Richard Quest referred specifically to flyertalkers? I don't really watch his show, but I'm surprised. A lot of his audience wouldn't get the reference and in any case I wouldn't expect mainstream media to give credit to online authorities. Plus the whole idea of him reading FT makes me smile
I happened to see this segment, which is extremely surprising since (a) I don't live in Europe anymore, and (b) I don't have a TV. I had never seen pictures of either GT or JS, and was surprised at how sloppy GT looked and acted. He was fidgeting the whole time -- pulling his ring, scratching his ear, etc. Very unprofessional.

I heard Quest make the FT comment, and was surprised and pleased. GTs response was too flippant. Even for a general audience, executives should know that bloggers are the ones who make opinion these days. They're the ones passionate enough about the subject to devote significant time and effort to their critiques/defenses/suggestions/etc. Whether this time is "too much free time" or time stolen from somewhere else is irrelevant.

[Personally I wouldn't say I have too much free time, I just don't have enough work to do. ]

Originally Posted by tulippicker
I'm sure the folks who designed the current UA logo paid a lot of attention to the font. The 60 degree slant at the top of the T is no accident.

The CO logo, on the other hand, looks like someone just picked "Palatino" from their Font menu.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Apparently, Tilton doesn't know the difference between blogs and chat boards.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by N965VJ
But in the scheme of things, I do like that he pretty much rolled everyone online into it. So, it's not just FTers who got splashed. Bravo, Mr. Tilton.

As I said, the world's most famous freshly minted loose cannon.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm Reason: off-topic
Old May 4, 2010, 4:01 pm

Actually it would be the original reporter who said mentioned both the bloggers and flyertalkers in the same paragraph when asking the question.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The bottom line is Tilton is right, we all, blogs and chat boards, spend much to much time and energy analyzing everything.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Actually it would be the original reporter who said mentioned both the bloggers and flyertalkers in the same paragraph when asking the question.
Yes, but this could well end up like, "What's good for GM is good for the country," no matter what was really said. And it was scatter-gun at some pretty potent people in the -sphere. It'll be interesting to see if it's picked up and catapulted into higher profile media. On the other hand, there is a lot of other stuff with high production values going on, right now.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
Whilst I don't fly UA since a few years, I have to say if I did fly them right now, that'd be enough for me to never set foot on a UA aircraft in the future.
OMG.

Firstly, if I had a dollar for everytime someone on here wrote "if xxx, I'll never fly that airline again", I'd have a hell of a lot of dollars.

Secondly, that was clearly a gambit to avoid answering the question, and nothing more. Big deal. Get over it.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Anybody found a copy of the clip yet ??
I searched and found nothing about Tilton/Quest on CNN or elsewhere....

Last edited by MrHalliday; May 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.