Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Surely retaining the CO livery is an insult to all UA elites and makes it clear that United, as such, is now dead. But Glenn Tilton is happy, so that's OK.

And aren't there many more UA elites than CO elites?

Time to fly, I think. But what will happen to my accumulated 750,000 RDM with MP? The only thing that can happen is that they will be devalued...
Old May 4, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Grace B
But Glenn Tilton is happy, so that's OK.
He saved UAL from liquidation only to hand it over to Smisek with an eraser. I just hope Smisek sees the benefit of keeping E+.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The tulip is DEAD. We will not allow it to return. CHANGE has come to United. That is all.
We? We are not amused.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:27 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Thumbs down

This is such a joke, it makes me so sick. I don't care if we get a whole new livery (which is what should have happened). Though realisticly CO's Pres doesn't care lol.

If this is a hint of things to come, then count me out in the future. We are not Continental, We are United.

When can we start wearing our SGG wrist bands? I hope we don't miss Tilton when this is all over.

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The tulip is DEAD. We will not allow it to return. CHANGE has come to United. That is all.
You've been trying to rub it in our faces the whole time
Old May 4, 2010, 4:52 am

Programs: United 1K
Not sure if I am posting these pictures right, but here is a basic image of what I picture. What I picture in my head is definitely better than this.
BTW: The globe has only been around since '91.

So I am clueless on posting....this link should work at least:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ntinental.html

Last edited by mkrecek; May 4, 2010 at 5:12 am Reason: posting pics
Old May 4, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ivoryboi
I like the new logo and livery! But, I am concerned about the route map on the merger website. Taipei, Bangkok and several other Asian destinations are missing.
I hope this is an oversight of the webpage designer. If its real, oh boy!
Old May 4, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: MYOB
So.....which would rather do

Keep the tulip
or
Lose Starnet Blocking?
Old May 4, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
schley, thanks for your response for

Originally Posted by schley
I just had a panic attack.
I enjoyed your comment very much.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:46 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GodOSpoons
My Dearest Friends in RAR!

I was saving my next message for something epic, being that it's my 1000th Flyertalk message and all. It's a milestone by any definition and blah blah blah blah. It was going to be something funny, insightful, cranky and all the other things I'm known for here on Flyertalk. But this is not that. This is, simply put, a call to action:

Save the frickin' Tulip

Not that I believe Facebook adds any value to the debate, but I feel a certain connection to the iconic United tulip and a nasty immune system reaction coming on to the Continentalesque livery--a livery that mixes my loathing of Serifed typefaces with abstract globes. I beg of you--write to United and demand our beautiful tulip stay flying.

So, come spread our pointless discontent at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120325557986983

Who knows if it'll change much, but we just finished painting our beloved planes blue--why would we rush back into the grey skies again? Do we really want to share a logo and livery with Copa Airlines?

Just say no. PLEASE. And, of course, feel free to use this posting as a root for our collective misery/gallows humor.

Timothy

I realize it's silly to protest a logo, but so far they haven't threatened Rhapsody in Blue, thus this is second on the list.
thanks ^. just joined the group and congrats on your 1,000th post ^
Old May 4, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by texasex95
One of the main reasons I was all for this merger was that the horrendous Continental branding would go away. I have flown Continental and the thing that bugged me most wast their horrible sense of style and design. One of the reasons United is my choice airline is because of their style. Simple. Elegant. Artistic. Pleasing. Now, they are going to look so corporate and boring. I really, really, really hope this is fixed before the merger.

Check out this blog that has all of the wonderful United advertising...

http://alifelski.com/blog/inspirational_advertis ing_united_airlines/

Enjoy!
the culture part is great. it is when you get on one of their shabby planes and meet the demoralized staff that you realize it is a cynical illusion. they have been improving lately but the damage was already done. i can remember back in the '70's when it was a fancy carrier from stem to stern.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If there is anyone left who thinks that this is really a blending, all you need to do is look at the full page ad in the NYTimes this morning. The only thing on it that doesn't scream CONTINENTAL is the work United. CO layout, CO colors, CO (non)sense of design, everything. I'll get over it, but I'm a little sad right now.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Grace B
Surely retaining the CO livery is an insult to all UA elites and makes it clear that United, as such, is now dead.
Surely retaining the UA name and livery would be a greater insult to CO elites. Compromise is necessary. Don't believe for a second the new brand position is impulsive or stopgap; it's been rolled out in a big way, and for good strategic reasons. United may have more global name recognition, but it has a far darker, more negative reputation that the combined airline must move to extinguish.

To quote from this morning's New York Times editorial page: "We don't know a lot of happy flyers on any airline. But last year, United came up last in the American Customer Satisfaction Index run by the National Quality Research Center at the University of Michigan. Maybe that's why United decided to close the call center that fielded complaints... Meanwhile the United States Department of Transportation received 1.34 complaints per 100,000 passengers taking a trip on United. The only airline that registered more complaints -- 1.96 -- was the postmerger Delta. How did Continental do? It came in third in the Michigan survey."

United obviously has small knots of diehards, 1Ks and UGS types, but their experience of United is far, far different from the norm. To the flying public at large the tulip has toxicity to it. I still flash back to the SFH when I see the United brand; I still get angry. Yes, time has passed since then, and I'm being more emotional than rational, but such is the power of legacy brands... they are emotional baselines. And for the public at large, not the pax aristocracy perched ridiculously at the head of the F/1K/UGS line an hour before departure, United's legacy brand connotes misery, malfeasance, stress and flip dismssal by horrible, vicious "lifer" employees.

You may hear "Rhapsody in Blue" and tear up sentimentally; I hear "Rhapsody in Blue" and want to throw the telephone through the wall.

The new airline needs a fresh start, and the brandwork signals a shot at one.

Yes, "United, as such, is now dead" ... and rightly so. All you folks running off to PhotoShop and triumphantly producing your own "better" liveries and logos in five minutes and starting Facebook pages and so on... can stop. The tulip is plucked. A better brand image is in store... an image supplied by the industry's strongest quality story of the past 20 years... Continental.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:56 am

source: http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...73&size=medium

Saw this on Airliners.net. As they pointed out, adding "Airlines" make a huge difference! ^
Old May 4, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM
Proposal for a minor adjustment to the livery

Old May 4, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by BearX220
The tulip is plucked. A better brand image is in store... an image supplied by the industry's strongest quality story of the past 20 years... Continental.
That has to rank as one of the most outlandish statements I have ever read on FT. CO's image for many of us is marginally better than US Air's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.