Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 11:58 am

Okay 10 minutes in photoshop landed me with these 4 slight variations which look much better IMHO:

Old May 3, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: CO PL, DL PM
The livery feels a little too first-draft. It's like someone deleted "Continental" on their design program and typed in "United," and left it at that. The whole things seems awkward. Hopefully the airlines recognize the marketing importance of truly integrating their branding to create a joint CO/UA look. Especially since United's brand is much better known internationally.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Yes, Continental is taking the United brand in a new and better direction, no question about this. CO already knows that many of its own elites -- particularly in the NYC market -- came directly from United in the last decade and have some intensely negative perceptions of United as a result. Not to mention, it promotes buy in from both CO employees (who want some reassurance of continuity) and for UA employees (who can feel at long last, the airline is moving in a direction that is positive for them). The maintenance of CO's logo and livery was a simple but powerful way to accomplish this. I'd have felt CO had died -- and that it's time to start looking elsewhere in earnest - had UA's branding survived, and I'm simply not alone in this.

Welcome aboard.
+1, Well stated.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mht_flyer
I like the new livery, then again I'm partial to the Continental colors.

United name stays, but the heritage of CO lives on!
+1. Reminds me of the Boeing/McDonellDouglas merger. The merged company kept the Boeing name, but is using the MDD logo. Shows respect and is not liek the DL/NW merger, where DL spend so many efforts to remove everything and anything reminiscent of NW. I think, this is a good start. I remain cautiously optimistic.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by neonapple
I wonder if United will change their "Rhapsody in Blue" theme song and their watercolor artwork.

The blue, gold, and white feels a bit.. "regal" to me. I was hoping for something more futuristic.
EXACTLY! United caught my very first attention just by way of those nice, lovely watercolor artwork! I thought a company willing to design those arwork must be very interesting and then began to learn more about her~
Old May 3, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
The CEO's probably had couple of adult beverages and were playing with the Photoshop to see how United and Continental elements could be merged. I truly hope that they had used some professional branding consults for this. The new logo ensemble is just terrible.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
It's fun to speculate on and discuss the livery, but when it comes down to it, I really don't care what's on the outside of the plane. It's what's inside that counts!
Old May 3, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
What happened - I can't see the custom designs that several of you have raved about?
You have to turn on the picture viewing option in your profile. Alternately, you could go to http://s1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/mechteach1/ .
Old May 3, 2010, 12:25 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I don't particularly care for what they came up with, but from a business perspective, I think it makes sense for the short-term at least. What people are complaining about are the two easiest parts to revise later at low cost. This gets the CO planes in the air with the United name quickly and cheaply; the only needed change painting over "Continental" with "United". That said, I think this would look better had they gone with "United Airlines" rather than the shorter "United".
Old May 3, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The era of the tulip is over!
Alas, goodbye to the tulip, invented by Saul Bass logo* years ago, and now here's their chance to reprise that. In the same vein, perhaps UA can point out to CO that they closed a CLE hub back in the 1980s.

Color me unimpressed with CO's font: the serifs are too chunky and the x-height too tall, both of which make a didone font look squat instead of slim. "United" hasn't been rendered in mixed case since 1973, either (and as if to make a point of it, that initial U sports a clunky, pointless stem as if it were lower-case), and hasn't seen serifs save for the 1990s small-caps (grey+pinstripes planes) era. The font's fussy details wash out over the 20 characters in "Continental Airlines," but really jump out when looking at the six in "UNITED."

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
68 degree slanting of the ends of the T in United.
Alas, again, I doubt that kind of attention to design will survive. Take a look at CO's graphically blunt advertising: all-caps condensed headlines, underlines (which might've been appropriate for adding emphasis back in the days of typewriters but not today), high contrast colors, no photography or illustration besides the globe in the corner. Quite different from UA's almost too elegant, soft-sell approach of spare watercolor illustration, in greys and pastels, set against lots of whitespace. In fact, CO's ad agency deliberately contrasts its "simple, straightforward style" branding against "the flowery imagery of typical airline ads."

Colors: at least the blues weren't all that different to begin with, and I could be convinced that the red/white/blue, dating back to UA's days as a mail carrier, is a bit nationalistic. I remember reading somewhere that in duopoly markets, one brand chooses red (Delta, Colgate, Coca-Cola, TWA, US Republicans, UK Labour/Can Libs) and the other chooses blue (United, Crest, Pepsi, Pan Am, US Democrats, UK/Can Tories). I don't know where that leaves American.

Originally Posted by Bralo20

Both Copa & Aera Republica haven't anything to do with either CO or the new UA but the logo's are similar...
Good catch -- another subtle way to virtually extend the brand's global reach? (And yes, Copa/AeroRepublica adopted CO's branding and OnePass back when CO went on its colonial phase.) A ploy to get Copa to hurry up and join *A?

Originally Posted by Nibaruian
Gordon Bethune has been allegedly quoted as being thumbs down on the deal, and who am I to question his judgment?
Not sure if he's spoken today, but he strongly endorsed the idea in 2006:
"Continental and United are two companies that ought to get together and win the game decisively... You put these two companies together, it's called checkmate."

* I remember wondering as a kid why it was that CO, AT&T, Minolta, and possibly others looked so alike in their stripery. Now you know!

Last edited by paytonc; May 4, 2010 at 10:43 am
Old May 3, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by United757
Okay 10 minutes in photoshop landed me with these 4 slight variations which look much better IMHO:...
I absolutely love the one on the lower left. I was trying to figure out where a tulip should go, and that seems to be perfect to me.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
You would have felt that way if you still had your DeathStar on the tail, but only changed the font to what those of us from the UA side identify with UA?

I agree with the other 3,297 posters in this thread (well, not that many yet, but at the rate it's going, it will be soon) that the font for "UNITED" is dreadful. Just change that one thing, and we both can relate similarly to the new airline.
Oh, I don't mind a change in the font to UNITED. Would prefer it, actually, and will shoot off a polite email to CO Customer care on that issue - at the very least, I'd like the U capitalized on the current conception for a cleaner look. But the Golden Globe stays - the era of the hammer and sickle, er, tulip is over. Same logo/livery = same sh!t in legacy United thinking, so Smisek had to take a stick to that mentality from the very beginning with this merger.

Last edited by HeathrowGuy; May 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm
Old May 3, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Its awful. Terrible. Bush League. Smacks of being rushed.

The new(ish) United colors are among the best in the sky. The new carrier should have adopted something from that. Perhaps adopt the tulip on the tail into a world map with gold, then change the tulip colors on the front from the Saul Bass colors to blue and gold. Then keep the current United font, which is absolutely stunning.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Hate it.

It just creates cognitive dissonance. It looks like somebody grabbed the wrong stencil for a Continental plane.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

I agree with the other 3,297 posters in this thread (well, not that many yet, but at the rate it's going, it will be soon) that the font for "UNITED" is dreadful. Just change that one thing, and we both can relate similarly to the new airline.
Go to the Co boards and check it out, there is almost 100% unity on the font being bad and better as UNITED in the UA font, or 'United Airlines' on the aircraft if the same font is used, but preferable with the UNITED and UA font, maybe even the ole U logo as the capital U

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.