Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
The tulip is plucked. A better brand image is in store... an image supplied by the industry's strongest quality story of the past 20 years... Continental.
Are you kidding? The globe is too generic as is the CO livery in general. The point of the merger was to 'pluck' the best elements from both airlines --clearly that is off to a poor start.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
It's about brand recognition, though. I showed my mother the logos of UA and CO this morning without telling her what they were. I showed her the CO globe and asked "Do you know what this is from?" Her answer? "No". I then showed her the Tulip....before I could even speak "That one's easy..it's United". After that, she asked, "Was that other one you showed another airline?" The UA logo putting airlines into her head. That's insanely strong recognition.
From one data point...that volume of data isn't exactly what one would call 'credible'.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:06 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Last week an Airliners.Net member played with a combined livery, and I figured I'd share it here. It looks QUITE impressive, and showcases both the tulip AND the globe:

He also photoshopped it onto an actual photograph. I gotta say, it looks awesome!

Old May 4, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
Last week an Airliners.Net member played with a combined livery, and I figured I'd share it here. It looks QUITE impressive, and showcases both the tulip AND the globe:
The 747 with the livery reminded me a bit of a TWA model that I have on my desk... I suppose the Tulip and the globe don't look too bad...
Old May 4, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
To UA: I don't care if you use the CO colors and globe, but get rid of that stupid serif font!
Strange how often I've heard the complaint about the serif font. The gray / blue livery had serif font; the retro, all-white livery from the pre-tulip days had serif font. What's the big deal here?

Frankly, I'm still struggling quite a bit with the reaction over this.

Let's say you could get the livery back, but you would have to make a trade to do so. Would you really trade any of the following?:

- Economy Plus
- SWUs
- CR-1s
- Channel 9

I can't imagine anyone that's currently receiving / regularly using any of the above benefits that would trade them in over the livery. I believe you should save your chips for the important things - starting a letter writing campaign to corporate over something as trivial is this is nothing short of stupid.

Besides, airline livery and logos change all the time. Will this get you 10 years of 'happiness' until the next logo / livery change comes along? Please...
Old May 4, 2010, 12:16 pm

I doubt no one would be complaining if they had done that. I think the critics here do not understand that Smisek-Tilton are jettisoning a decades old brand. It would be like Delta minus the widget or clipping the wings off American's eagle.

Originally Posted by vandalby

Frankly, I'm still struggling quite a bit with the reaction over this.

Let's say you could get the livery back, but you would have to make a trade to do so. Would you really trade any of the following?:

- Economy Plus
- SWUs
- CR-1s
- Channel 9
That's a false choice if ever I heard one. But it brings up a good point, if the new management basically is imposing CO's Modus operandi should we be concerned for E+, C-9, and all the other United perks that UAL fans love?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm Reason: merge
Old May 4, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by quantumslip
Saw this on Airliners.net. As they pointed out, adding "Airlines" make a huge difference!
Plucking the stem off the U makes an even huge-r difference.

I'm still concerned about the other branding elements. Kaplan Thaler, CO's ad agency, deliberately contrasts CO's "simple, straightforward style" against "the flowery imagery of typical airline ads." It'll depend on which agency wins the combined contract, since the transactional vs. aspirational styles are worlds apart -- although, of course, the new airline should announce itself with an entirely new campaign, and might choose a new agency for that.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It the words of Rhett Butler "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

I am far more concerned about the routes, the seats, the esprit de corp of the employees, the elite benes, .... The color, the font, the name, .... don't contribute to my travel experience.

back to the serif vs sans serif debate....
I am somewhat concerned about the logo because IMO it sets the tone for the experience you're about to have. Do you want a shoddy, rushed, ill-thought-out experience or a well-refined and relaxing one?

If they can't get the logo right, why should I believe they'll get the rest of it right (those things you are far more concerned about)?

He also photoshopped it onto an actual photograph. I gotta say, it looks awesome!

Indeed it does. Edit the yellow tulip next to the "UNITED" text and fix the font and I'd consider this a nice compromise.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:31 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by plaintruthiness

These are iconic corporate branding logos (or at least the first letter) instantly recognized around the "globe." Where's Continental's?

I think the 2 CEOs had too many champagnes when they decided to trash the United logo.

(from The ABC's of Branding by Jason Dean)
The only one I don't recognize is the "L"

Also, the Target logo does not belong... it is not a letter. "Target" does not even have an "O"?!

Last edited by JonathanIT; May 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm Reason: added complaint
Old May 4, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I like the livery. Perhaps the best thing about it is that it implies that they didn't spend some ridiculous money with "brand consultants."
Old May 4, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by EricH
I like the livery. Perhaps the best thing about it is that it implies that they didn't spend some ridiculous money with "brand consultants."
And they wouldn't have had to if they just left the tulip in place
Old May 4, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AC25k
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
The only one I don't recognize is the "L"
Perhaps Leggett & Platt
http://www.leggett.com/

or Lindt?
http://www.lindtusa.com/
Old May 4, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

For all of the tulip lovers, not all of the planes in ua fleet have the new livery. At least with the co livery you have a plurality in the correct colors from the start.

Also, CO management will insure that all planes are repainted quickly.

I think if the ua fleet was all in one livery then it would have stood a better chance of staying.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vandalby

- Economy Plus
- SWUs
- CR-1s
- Channel 9
False choice really, but I'd give up Channel 9 easy. My (at the time 3yr old) little girl recognized the tulip when adorning envelopes in the mail..."airplane!"

AT&T was a disaster to so many, yet its logo remains intact despite being consumed in a transaction. With a splash of orange. If the brand name is worth keeping at least one distinctive iconic element of its branding should be retained.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by plaintruthiness
These are iconic corporate branding logos (or at least the first letter) instantly recognized around the "globe." Where's Continental's?
For that matter, where's Singapore, or Cathay Pacific, or British Airways, or Emirates, or Lufthansa, or JAL, or American, or Korean, or South African, or...

Are you saying none of those "iconic" brands are as strong as the UA tulip?

Making the cover of that silly little book is no test. If anything the book proves that recognition does not equal positive equity; the "E" on the book is Enron's.

Moving on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.