Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by quantumslip

Saw this on Airliners.net. As they pointed out, adding "Airlines" make a huge difference! ^
That does look a lot better.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 4, 2010 at 10:38 am Reason: image
Old May 4, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by unitedFAsfo
Hello FT! This is my first post and I'm glad to be here. I've been a UA flight attendant for just over three years now. When I first joined I was mostly embarrassed by our product and brand. I did my required duties but with little enthusiasm as the mood was SO sour among my fellow FAs.

I can't tell you why things changed but they did. At some point about two years ago I sensed a shift and boy have I latched on to it. I have taken such pride in providing good service and the job is so much more rewarding as a result. I try to go above and beyond on each and every flight and have received such positive reactions for it. I've even made it a habit to thank MP elites by name (far too rare on ANY airline). At this point I really am proud of United. We've come a long way.

I was initially thrilled at the idea of merging with Continental. Today, I just feel shell shocked. We may be keeping the name, but the brand identity is so important to me now that I feel so invested in it. I get the sense that I was just acquired by Continental and that all of my hard work amounts to nothing. Call it hubris, but I really thought our brand would survive so I never took offense when posters mentioned us needing CO's "culture". Now I'm not so sure. I've done a pretty good job and don't think I need CO lessons in how to be a flight attendant. It seems silly, I know, but this livery/logo issue is emotionally important for all of us at UA who have become proud of our airline.
Thanks for your enthusiasm. Unfortunately, many of us have a much longer memory about problems at United (Summer 2000 ring a bell to anyone?). I live in SFO and would rather not travel than travel on United. Maybe that's irrational in light of more recent improvements. That comes after being Premier and Premier Executive for over 5 years ending in 2003. Many others feel like I do. Perception is slow to change. It's especially slow to change when I see all those planes with ancient paint jobs every time I drive by SFO. Tilton could have fixed a lot of the perception long ago, but for some reason has not. I don't know why he has survived this long. I have been Plat on CO for a total of 3 years, so I'm well aware of CO's problems. But having planes that customer's cringe at the thought of flying on is not usually one of them. I think the proposed livery says to everyone, "This is different--but not completely different--and this will be better." I'm not usually sensitive to these types of things, but for me, I'd never believe improvement was on the way if they had stuck with United's livery and branding.

Last edited by mike_plat; May 4, 2010 at 11:02 am
Old May 4, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Bring back UA Logo and Colours!

UA's logo in my eyes is much more elegant than Continental's. The latter for me stands for a non-luxury basic airline service, which to be sure is reliable and clean cut but nothing more. I'd hate to see the combined UA-CO confirm to this prejudice. Before, I get flamed, I want to note that these are my opinions only and whatever associations I have come to have over a couple decades of flying. I would't miss seeing CO's name and logo disappear completely or have it shelved where it belongs: museum of great airlines.

*A version of this opinion was incorrectly posted on a thread on CO's forum by mistake. I'd rather that it appear here.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:21 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Saw this on Airliners.net. As they pointed out, adding "Airlines" make a huge difference! ^
it does look better with the adding of "airlines" but it would look even better if it was in the current united font

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 4, 2010 at 3:12 pm Reason: image
Old May 4, 2010, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by euslaner
That has to rank as one of the most outlandish statements I have ever read on FT. CO's image for many of us is marginally better than US Air's.
+1^

Beginning to wish a US merger had gone through. At least in that case there would have been no question as to what name/brand would have prevailed....
Old May 4, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by euslaner
...CO's image for many of us is marginally better than US Air's.
LOL...nice try.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mike_plat
Perception is slow to change. It's especially slow to change when I see all those planes with ancient paint jobs every time I drive by SFO... I think the proposed livery says to everyone, "This is different--but not completely different--and this will be better." I'm not usually sensitive to these types of things, but for me, I'd never believe improvement was on the way if they had stuck with United's livery and branding.
^ Very well said, except for the "proposed" part. This IS the livery. For exactly the reasons stated here. Everyone get used to it.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
^ Very well said, except for the "proposed" part. This IS the livery. For exactly the reasons stated here. Everyone get used to it.
I think that's an important point. Now, while I've been fiercely loyal for god knows what reasons (not just United, in everything I do basically), and am really sad to basically see a Continental Plane with a United name, frankly it had to be one or the other because if they really want us to believe this is a joint venture to make a strong airline they couldn't do what Delta did and make it seem like a takeover. It has to give the implication that this is a New Airline. So in that vein I'll say, They should've come up with a new logo. Base it off of Continental's globe if you must because you kept the United Name so you need the Continental Logo to keep it equal but either way I feel like they should've redone it. Of course for personal reasons I just don't like the look of Continental's planes on the outside.

The other thing I think people are worried about is that just visually it gives the implication of Name-only to United and while people might complain about this or that, there really are a lot of things on United that help make it a quality Airline and they had better survive. Against my better judgement I've heard good things about Continental's management, let us hope they really DO find a way to merge the best part of Both airlines.

If that happens, I could really care less what it looks like on the outside (I'll eventually get used to it, just like every other change).

EDIT: That being said I'll miss the tulip
Old May 4, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by jd2000
lol, ... is that?!?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
United may have more global name recognition, but it has a far darker, more negative reputation that the combined airline must move to extinguish.
This exposes the fallacy of the argument. If the name has the dark, negative reputation, then it is the name that should be extinguished immediately.

If you tell someone not privvy to the inner machinations of the industry you bought a ticket on United, he throws up. Next year you say the same thing, he throws up. What difference does the paintjob make in a spoken conversation or a business transaction? If "United" is trash, then it should be trashed. Yet the brand name is the ONLY visibile sign of UA that remains.

ValuJet figured this out (AirTran). Blackwater is now Xe. AIG changed their name.

Clearly your hypothesis is not shared by the kingmakers in UA/CO. Or they'd have retained Continental, or picked something completely new.

GodOSpoons, I might finally need to join FB just to protest the loss of the friendship tulip. Thanks for setting it up. ^

Semi-OT, how does lack of E+ and miles that are difficult to redeem in saver Y constituting supposedly great service?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:42 am

Remind me again of the insider connection you have with UA/CO mgmt?

Last edited by UnitedConnection; May 4, 2010 at 11:49 am
Old May 4, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: UA [Gold]

source: http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...73&size=medium

The 'U' is also different. Doesn't look as bad as the one on http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/
Old May 4, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LNKed
The 'U' is also different. Doesn't look as bad as the one on http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/
+1

The stem on the "U" is nasty! I hope they change it!
Old May 4, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
indeed

it looks MUCH better with united airlines spelled out replacing continental.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It the words of Rhett Butler "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

I am far more concerned about the routes, the seats, the esprit de corp of the employees, the elite benes, .... The color, the font, the name, .... don't contribute to my travel experience.

back to the serif vs sans serif debate....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.