Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TurtleFlyer
Thanks 1KPath, we are cheering you on.

I came in today on UA935, and although we arrived 30 minutes early, which made customs a breeze, there was still the nonsense with the buses. And for those like myself who had to schlep back to T7 for a connection, the security lines were brutal and general surliness abounded. There was no advantage to being a 1K traveling in C.

Why not some special conduit for UA elites to facilitate connections to other UA flights? This would cost less than the compensation for ill will and missed flights I witnessed today.
I'm no apologist for the bussing, but TBIT or T6/7.... either way, you have to re-clear security.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

Making us take a bus following such a long flight shows callous disregard for passengers, in this loyal passenger's opinion.
...and in this loyal passenger's opinion as well! When they started this nonsense last Winter, I switched to Air New Zealand...granted I was not able to use my SWUs to get into C but I am was able to book Premium Economy and was even op-upgraded a few times! I came back to United this past Spring but will probably go back to Air New Zealand unless I hear something from UA that changes my mind!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is there a reason UA also has no Intl arrival facility at ORD? At least at LAX it's sometimes a crapshoot if we get the service at T6 or not. I've missed connections due to the arrival at ORD and subsequent train ride and security clearance.

All that's missing in ORD is the LAX bus ride, otherwise it seems be the same deplorable experience - except for the 30F temperatures which are thankfully missing at LAX.

One of the reasons I very much like the mid-field arrivals at IAD that are often bashed on this board!
I dont know why UA doesnt have immigrations at ORD. Obviously they cannot fit them in the current B/C, but why the terminal was designed without the ability to add it is beyond me.

The thing with ORD is at least the train from t5 is expected and people build that into their schedule. Meanwhile people who were not expecting to be bussed to TBIT may find themselves with 30+ minutes less than they were expecting for connections, or that UA was expecting/allowing for their connections.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is there a reason UA also has no Intl arrival facility at ORD? At least at LAX it's sometimes a crapshoot if we get the service at T6 or not. I've missed connections due to the arrival at ORD and subsequent train ride and security clearance.

All that's missing in ORD is the LAX bus ride, otherwise it seems be the same deplorable experience - except for the 30F temperatures which are thankfully missing at LAX.
I personally did not find arriving at the ORD International Terminal a "deplorable experience". The train to the UA domestic terminal runs frequently and takes a few minutes only.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I personally did not find arriving at the ORD International Terminal a "deplorable experience". The train to the UA domestic terminal runs frequently and takes a few minutes only.

I agree that it is not a "deplorable" experience. However, it takes more than a "few minutes only." United is the last stop on the train after leaving CBP and sometimes the wait for the train can be more than five minutes. With carryons the train trip is not pleasant because the train is generally crowded.

Although I prefer ORD for returning to the U.S. and catching a United connection, the process is far better than going through TBIT. Nothing in connection with CBP can be as bad and disorganized at it is at TBIT.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ozflier
Even Australia has them now.
As does the United States.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
What USA really needs is automatic scanners for US Citizens. Upfront cost sure, but staffing can be reduced as well as wait times.
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Isn't that what Global Entry is supposed to do? I have had only fantastic experiences with with it, including several entries at () TBIT.
Originally Posted by ozflier
Even Australia has them now.
Originally Posted by DCAstudent
As does the United States.
+1 Global Entry rocks. I clear I/C at ORD in about 20 seconds.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I went through this ridiculous exercise yesterday arriving on UA935. Then those of us connecting on then had a mile walk though the LAX construction rubble to get back to United gates.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
There are many good reasons to fly NZ - expecially in C - but I wouldn't base my choice on customs clearance. Personally I don't understand why anyone would take the early morning flight from London (I assume there is still an afternoon flight though I haven't checked). I can't stand losing precious sleep to get up before the crack of dawn to schlep out to the airport. But that's just me

The current state of TBIT makes IAD look good these days but I think LAX is still a pretty good place to arrive compared with some of the alternatives used by other carriers.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Platinum, Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Sorry if this is covered in a different thread.

I avoided flying LHR-LAX earlier this year because of the TBIT immigration clearing; but it now sounds like the flight clears from the T6/T7 immigration facility. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:07 am

Oh dear! I am booked on UA935 (to LAX) and then UA83 (to HNL). Since I am a non-US citizen I might not make the connection then with all the ongoing chaos at LAX... Hope the queue at the transfer desk is not too long as otherwise I might even miss the rebooking onto UA935 to Honolulu...

By the way, what is the milage credit for the UA935? I remember that despite the stopover the milage is reduced and calculated as if it was a direct flight.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by 1KPath
As usual, I sent a note of displeasure to 1KVoice...the e-mail response was predictable, but I also received a snail mail letter today (three days after my flight...WOW!) from corporate requesting that I contact (real phone#) a UA "suit" to discuss the situation! I now have a phone appointment scheduled for Monday...I am not expecting much but this response from UA is very atypical. We shall see what happens!
So, any update you can disclose?

It's pretty cool that you actually got a response, AND they're interested in hearing you out.

Personally, I don't know what can possibly be said to UA management to convince them of spending $ to keep it open; I think they just look at the bottom line and not factor in lost business (and I wonder how they could even reliably measure that). The other issue I have (of an airside connection that runs through ALL of the terminals) is just a pipe dream with the LAWA.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 2K MM - Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by crazychicken
Oh dear! I am booked on UA935 (to LAX) and then UA83 (to HNL). Since I am a non-US citizen I might not make the connection then with all the ongoing chaos at LAX... Hope the queue at the transfer desk is not too long as otherwise I might even miss the rebooking onto UA935 to Honolulu...

By the way, what is the milage credit for the UA935? I remember that despite the stopover the milage is reduced and calculated as if it was a direct flight.
There is absolutely NO WAY that you are going to make your connection and in-fact getting to 935 @ LAX is going to be kinda close, with a 3 hr connection. But you can not make an 1 hour & 15 min connection going on a bus to Bradley, clearing immigration, then waiting for your bags & then customs and then hot footing it to term #6 to recheck bags and then security to make your flight to HNL.

Call res asap and tell them that you don't stand a chance, now that immigration and customs is closed in term #6 after noon--- 935 to 83 is listed as a legal connection, I know, but you need to become persistent and don't take NO for an answer.

As far as 935 connection screwing you out of miles--- If you get two separate boarding passes without a reboarding for the second segment you should get the max miles.
Anyway that's how it's worked for me for years to BKK.

But jump on this crappy connection thing you have been handed asap, and don't even think TRANSFER DESK again. Transfer Desk in this instance would be standing in line @ term #6 international departures to check your bags and try to get on #935 (stand-by) if it ain't sold out.

Good luck, and you are right about being a non-resident perhaps being slowed down in immigration, especially with every flight now being dumped into Bradley after 12:00 p.m.

You are going to meet resistance trying to change this itin, but when I called for the process being implemented, for same flight for Nov.7th, I was given an 888# to call at LAX for additional info, but that # was bogus.

Upgrade this to a supervisor if you need to, but you ARE NOT going to make this connection, and if by chance you do you're going to need mucho barf bags by the time you get to 83.

Be sure and tell them, over and over, if necessary that you purchased these flights before the immigration was changed to another location. Also, when I obtained my flights the connection times were not so close, but as you know, we have numerous schedule changes (about 7 or 8), every time reducing the time between flights @ LAX.

The res agent that you speak with isn't making this connection or a 99.9% chance of a non-connection and they don't care, believe me, if you make it or not, so keep that in mind.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by TRIPLE-7; Nov 3, 2009 at 1:53 pm
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by TRIPLE-7
...and then hot footing it to term #6 to recheck bags...
Just a minor note - but can you not recheck UA bags @ TBIT anymore? I never had to haul my checked bags back to T7 in years of arriving from the (now defunct) MEX flight... but maybe things have changed?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 2K MM - Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Just a minor note - but can you not recheck UA bags @ TBIT anymore? I never had to haul my checked bags back to T7 in years of arriving from the (now defunct) MEX flight... but maybe things have changed?
Whoa! This is the only part that I didn't quite get and the 1K desk didn't know either. Is there a person or place to drop off UAL specific bags at Bradley after customs? I don't know.
But my son who worked there years ago said that there used to be a generic type bag drop for all domestic airline connections and these bags had the most mis-connects than anywhere else at LAX.

With a handle and wheels, or rent a $4. cart, I think I would pull/push my bags thru the construction rubble and hand them directly to United. But then maybe there is a United bag guy with carts at Bradley. I don't know as this is a first for me.
__________________________________________________ ___
Additional--- 5th call to the 1K desk --- multiple answers---
"Yes sir, we definitely have someone at Bradley to take the bags provided they were checked through to the final destination".
Asked her if it was a contract person or a UAL employee---
This is a first for me and took me by complete surprise---
answer--- "I don't know, Sir"!

6th call to the 1K desk, this time for crazychicken---

I specifically asked about the added inconvenience, and acted as though it was me doing this connection from 935 to 83. I was told, under no uncertain terms, that everyone else does it, AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS, and unless I wanted to pay a change fee plus the potential difference in fares, I'm screwed.
How do ya like that?
Kind of drives ya CRAZY!!!
I'm telling you, this insensitive crap, and inability to be compassionate, and reasonable is starting to pi$$ me off, big time!

Last edited by TRIPLE-7; Nov 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.