Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by AceAirspeed
Does anyone know if the T7/T6 immigration facility has the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program kiosks? Or are they just in the TBIT?
Used the machine again last week and it worked fine this time around...

Was through immigration in 1 min, got my bags 5 mins later (have to love the T6/T7 baggage retrieval speed if it was tagged priority) and was out of customs another min later... Time from landing to curbside, 15 mins.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Good News, Bad News for UA934 LAX-LHR and UA935 LHR-LAX

I just returned today on UA935 from LHR...the good news is that LHR based FAs are back...it was a great flight in C...so much more professional than the LAX based crews The bad news is that, as of today, the FIS in Terminal 6-7 closes at 12 noon, so all UA935 arrivals are bused to that insanity called the Bradley International Terminal...GROAN!! The UA CSR meeting the flight said it was because of CBP's cutbacks...and it would last until April or May 2010...the senior CBP officer on duty at Bradley (whom I have known for many years) said it was a joint decision by LAWA and UA to close the FIS early. I guess the Terminal 6-7 FIS is administered jointly now by the city and United!

I guess I will be flying Air New Zealand from now on to LHR...I will do almost anything to avoid Bradley!!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, customs will be more than happy to staff & keep any facility open, as along as an airline is willing to pay for it.

Solution: UA has to pull in some other international (Star) carriers (LH, NZ, AC) to make operating FIS at T6/7 worthwhile throughout the afternoon hours.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:03 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

TBIT's expansion plans (if they go through) will make TBIT the place to fly from.

What USA really needs is automatic scanners for US Citizens. Upfront cost sure, but staffing can be reduced as well as wait times.

Singapore has it, Japan has it. I am sure others as well.

Why do I have to quene for 40 min in USA, but elsewhere in the world it is sub 10 min waits.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
TBIT's expansion plans (if they go through) will make TBIT the place to fly from.
I wouldn't got that far. The plans, when complete, will make TBIT a nicer place to fly to/from.

What USA really needs is automatic scanners for US Citizens. Upfront cost sure, but staffing can be reduced as well as wait times.
Isn't that what Global Entry is supposed to do? I have had only fantastic experiences with with it, including several entries at () TBIT.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Whether TBIT becomes a nicer place or not in the future (and it certainly can't get worse), the most annoying part about UA using TBIT is not the length of the TBIT lines or the quality of the facilties there, but the fact that UA int'l flights arrive at the T7 gates and then the London flight gets bussed -- a serious cattle car experience -- over to TBIT. Totally crowded and uncomfortable, not easy with larger carry-ons, no advantage to premium passengers from deplaning first, and if you're connecting to another UA flight, you have to make the long hike, or take another bus, back to T7.

(And even for folks ending their travel at LAX, people coming to pick you up would have no easy way of knowing at which terminal to come get you -- the United website, at least in the past, used to just display the gate in T7 where the aircraft arrived, even though the passengers never entered T7.)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Whether TBIT becomes a nicer place or not in the future (and it certainly can't get worse), the most annoying part about UA using TBIT is not the length of the TBIT lines or the quality of the facilties there, but the fact that UA int'l flights arrive at the T7 gates and then the London flight gets bussed -- a serious cattle car experience -- over to TBIT. Totally crowded and uncomfortable, not easy with larger carry-ons, no advantage to premium passengers from deplaning first, and if you're connecting to another UA flight, you have to make the long hike, or take another bus, back to T7.

(And even for folks ending their travel at LAX, people coming to pick you up would have no easy way of knowing at which terminal to come get you -- the United website, at least in the past, used to just display the gate in T7 where the aircraft arrived, even though the passengers never entered T7.)
Rather than inconvenience and aggravate a lot of passengers, why doesn't United park at TBIT after arriving from London? After passengers are off loaded, the aircraft can either be towed to United or taxied to the United gates. This would make more sense than to use those stupid buses.

Although I love United and will continue to use them, in the future I will not take the LAX -LHR and back simply because I know I will have to take a bus from the United gate to TBIT. I do not think I am the only one who dislikes taking a bus after such a long flight. There are so many airlines that do not require taking a bus to TBIT.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Rather than inconvenience and aggravate a lot of passengers, why doesn't United park at TBIT after arriving from London? After passengers are off loaded, the aircraft can either be towed to United or taxied to the United gates. This would make more sense than to use those stupid buses.

Although I love United and will continue to use them, in the future I will not take the LAX -LHR and back simply because I know I will have to take a bus from the United gate to TBIT. I do not think I am the only one who dislikes taking a bus after such a long flight. There are so many airlines that do not require taking a bus to TBIT.
I would iimagine occupying a TBIT gate would cost $$$, and if UA is unwilling to spend to keep the T7 FIS facilities open for the London flight, I can't imagine they'd spend on a TBIT gate to unload passengers, and then tow a plane.

As I noted above, I totally agree with you on the buses. Unpleasant experience. I had hoped that with other airlines now using T6 that maybe the FIS in T6-7 would stay open more hours, not less, but I guess no such luck.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I do not think I am the only one who dislikes taking a bus after such a long flight. There are so many airlines that do not require taking a bus to TBIT.
I gripe every time I land at FRA (my home airport) and have to take a bus to the terminal. Seems to happen more often than not.

I took one flight this year where they were strict about the boarding priority, to get on the bus to go to the plane.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
AFAIK, customs will be more than happy to staff & keep any facility open, as along as an airline is willing to pay for it.

Solution: UA has to pull in some other international (Star) carriers (LH, NZ, AC) to make operating FIS at T6/7 worthwhile throughout the afternoon hours.
...and my discussion with the "senior" CBP officer seemed to bear this out!...He said they (CBP) were all a little blindsided by the early T6/7 FIS closing and that it was going to create more chaos (his words, not mine) at Bradley at a very sensitive time of the day! Good job United
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:40 pm

UPDATE!

As usual, I sent a note of displeasure to 1KVoice...the e-mail response was predictable, but I also received a snail mail letter today (three days after my flight...WOW!) from corporate requesting that I contact (real phone#) a UA "suit" to discuss the situation! I now have a phone appointment scheduled for Monday...I am not expecting much but this response from UA is very atypical. We shall see what happens!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by 1KPath
As usual, I sent a note of displeasure to 1KVoice...the e-mail response was predictable, but I also received a snail mail letter today (three days after my flight...WOW!) from corporate requesting that I contact (real phone#) a UA "suit" to discuss the situation! I now have a phone appointment scheduled for Monday...I am not expecting much but this response from UA is very atypical. We shall see what happens!
I am certain you can handle yourself well in the upcoming telephone interview with United.

During the phone interview, maybe you could find your way to mention that many people who take that long flight from London to LAX are tired after the flight and just want to go on with their life and not have to face the unpleasantness of a bus ride, hauling a carryon on the bus and enduring a long immigration line such is found at TBIT on most days.

Making us take a bus following such a long flight shows callous disregard for passengers, in this loyal passenger's opinion.

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2M
Originally Posted by 1KPath
Thanks 1KPath, we are cheering you on.

I came in today on UA935, and although we arrived 30 minutes early, which made customs a breeze, there was still the nonsense with the buses. And for those like myself who had to schlep back to T7 for a connection, the security lines were brutal and general surliness abounded. There was no advantage to being a 1K traveling in C.

Why not some special conduit for UA elites to facilitate connections to other UA flights? This would cost less than the compensation for ill will and missed flights I witnessed today.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a reason UA also has no Intl arrival facility at ORD? At least at LAX it's sometimes a crapshoot if we get the service at T6 or not. I've missed connections due to the arrival at ORD and subsequent train ride and security clearance.

All that's missing in ORD is the LAX bus ride, otherwise it seems be the same deplorable experience - except for the 30F temperatures which are thankfully missing at LAX.

One of the reasons I very much like the mid-field arrivals at IAD that are often bashed on this board!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:32 pm

Singapore has it, Japan has it. I am sure others as well.

Why do I have to quene for 40 min in USA, but elsewhere in the world it is sub 10 min waits.
Even Australia has them now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.