Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
And I would suspect that even at this stepped up reimbursement rate, the I&C would still still figure out a way to lose money.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by LA_Traveler

(snip snip)

What's interesting is that the UA rep told me that all of this bussing costs UA a lot more money than to keep the T6 arrival hall open, especially since T6 now has Delta and Continental's international arrivals as well. UA has offered to pay the government 2X what it pays now to keep T6 arrival hall open throughout the day. She implied that Delta and Continental also offered to pay more. But the government turned down the offers saying that they don't have enough manpower to do this regardless of money.

It seems the UA rep told you a lot of things that are just not so.

The decision to send passengers via bus to TBIT is that of United and only partially due to the scheduling of CBP at LAX.

It is United that will not spend the extra money to park the plane at TBIT to offload passengers and baggage. If this happened, there would not be so many unhappy passengers who get stuck on the bus and stuck in large crowds at CBP after a long plane ride.

Even in ORD international arrivals park at Terminal M and offload passengers and luggage. I do not understand why a similar arrangement cannot be made for United's international arrivals at LAX. After unloading at ORD, the planes are tugged or taxied to the gates.

If United would park at the gate at TBIT, United would have less unhappy passengers. Unhappy passengers often switch to other carriers.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Even in ORD international arrivals park at Terminal M and offload passengers and luggage. I do not understand why a similar arrangement cannot be made for United's international arrivals at LAX. After unloading at ORD, the planes are tugged or taxied to the gates.

If United would park at the gate at TBIT, United would have less unhappy passengers. Unhappy passengers often switch to other carriers.
There are not enough gates at TIBT for UA to do this. It is nothing like the M gates are ORD where there are at least 3 times more gates.

I do think that UA can work with CBP to increase the hours of the T6-7 inspection station.

The best way possible is to park the planes where UA needs then (T6-7) and then bus the pax to TIBI. I think they could offer an express bus from TIBT to T6-7 for the UA arriving pax to save time.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Benny8444
There are not enough gates at TIBT for UA to do this. It is nothing like the M gates are ORD where there are at least 3 times more gates.

I do think that UA can work with CBP to increase the hours of the T6-7 inspection station.

The best way possible is to park the planes where UA needs then (T6-7) and then bus the pax to TIBI. I think they could offer an express bus from TIBT to T6-7 for the UA arriving pax to save time.
You hit it on the nail...UA built its own (now shared) FIS facility and CBP has decided not to staff it most of the time. Instead UA has to bus its passengers to TBIT making a long flight even more miserable...While there may be a monetary component to this situation, the fact is that there are quite a few of us taking other airlines or connecting in other cities to avoid TBIT and the bus ride...UA knows this (my organization has been offered a number of incentives by UA to return to them on 935)...and so does the City of Los Angeles...(LAWA have even contacted us about this situation)...so I do tend to believe that UA and the other airlines using the T6-7 would ante up the funds to keep the facility open...Now it is up to CBP to step to the plate...

...I am not holding my breath!!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by 1KPath
You hit it on the nail...UA built its own (now shared)
Who does UA share it with?

I believe there is also one in T4-5 that AA and QF sometime use.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Benny8444
Who does UA share it with?

I believe there is also one in T4-5 that AA and QF sometime use.
I believe UA sold (for cash) its exclusive use of the facility to LAWA...along with T6 exculusive gate use. I understand DL (former NW) brings in a flight here (or will)...and maybe Alaska in the future?

Maybe others can add more information.

Last edited by 1KPath; Jan 31, 2010 at 9:52 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Still a bus on LHR - LAX on arrival at LAX ?

Have a tight 75 min connection from First next week to the SFO flight ? United says ok but wonder if we are still bussed in from the plane to immigration ?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:33 pm

Yes. You are still bussed to TBIT for immigration and have to get to T6/7 after exiting customs for your connection.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Many thanks for the quick response - drat and double drat - hope we are early, no q at immigration (!) - suppose they will protect us on the next SFO if we miss it
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When did LAX start doing that? Have never had to go to TBIT when flying UA for customs/immigration there in my experience. Granted been many years as usually entered at SFO.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
When did LAX start doing that? Have never had to go to TBIT when flying UA for customs/immigration there in my experience. Granted been many years as usually entered at SFO.
Theres immigration and customs at T6, but they have the cushiest job ever since I think they work for about 4 minutes a day

Basically over the last few years the time window that T6 was open has got shorter and shorter and now even the LHR-LAX flight which gets in before 2pm doesn't even make the cut, its pathetic and dumb....I know how shocking at LAX
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Been happening for a year or more now...

Last three times I've been through TBIT after arriving from LHR on UA, I've been curbside with checked bags within 30 minutes of landing - and that includes the bus ride. Worst bit on 2 of the 3 occasions was actually waiting for buses to arrive at T7. However, I gather that it can be highly variable and depends on how the UA flight slots in with other TBIT arrivals given all potential the variables in arrival times for long haul flights (in January, when I commented to a UA agent at the bag reclaim how quick it was, she said I was lucky as it'd taken close on 2 hours for most folks the day before!).

Andy
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Originally Posted by mandc2000
Have a tight 75 min connection from First next week to the SFO flight ? United says ok but wonder if we are still bussed in from the plane to immigration ?
I did it in Jan to the SFO Flt. It's the new normal to be bussed. UA is blaming the Feds. Feds say UA doesn't want to pay for it. Don't see LHR-LAX surviving for long in this mode. Virgin and BA will kill them for Premium loads.

75 min you should be ok, not much in the way of a line to get to the domestic gates. . I walked back up to the terminal to get some daylight. The Bradly customs hall was a total zoo .. don't expect it to be like SFO.

Don't forget to be nice to the staff at LHR and if you can don't check bags. The may well put you on the non stop if there is room.

I'm assuming you are USC or a Green Card holder or you may have a long wait at Bradley.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mandc2000

Yes and unfortunately, the bus is the "in" thing for your flight. I really dislike having to take the bus after such a long flight. As one poster above already stated, the bus could cause the demise of the LHR - LAX flight.

You stated that your ultimate destination is SFO. Therefore, even if you miss your connection because of the nonsense of the bus and the crowds at Bradley terminal, the good news is there are frequent flights from LAX to SFO.

If you do not have luggage, you can walk from Bradley Terminal to United in about 10 minutes if you walk fast. If you have luggage with wheels, you can still make the walk in a little more than 10 minutes.

If you have bags that are heavy and are without wheels and you need to check them, you can catch the shuttle that runs frequently between the terminals. The shuttle will carry you and your bags to United.

Your bags can be "curb checked" in front of the United terminal.

Your profile says you are a 1K. If that is still accurate, you should not go all the way to terminal 7 at LAX (terminal 7 is the "official" terminal for United).

You should, instead, go to terminal 6 (it is closer from Bradley than United's official terminal) to the "United Premium" area and there you will find United Airlines with several counters to check in their "elite" passengers (premiers up to GS). This will save you time if you can still make your close connection. The security lines at this terminal are usually less busy than at the larger United Terminal 7.

One more thing, even though your profile says you are in England, if you happen to be a U.S. citizen, you can apply for Global Entry which will allow you to by-pass the long lines often found at U.S. immigration (CBP). Application for this program is too late for your current trip but if you plan other international trips, having the Global Entry authorization can save you loads of time.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by ryan182
Theres immigration and customs at T6, but they have the cushiest job ever since I think they work for about 4 minutes a day

Basically over the last few years the time window that T6 was open has got shorter and shorter and now even the LHR-LAX flight which gets in before 2pm doesn't even make the cut, its pathetic and dumb....I know how shocking at LAX
Why are you blaming LAX and CBP? They will gladly staff the checkpoints for a single flight. The carrier responsible just needs to be willing to pay for it. Plenty of other airlines at LAX do this.

So, when booking your next LHR-LAX flight on United, just remember - you're not worth keeping the checkpoint open. Perhaps that revenue ticket belongs on another carrier serving the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.