Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by kluau88
Happened to me flying UA 905 FRA-LAX last month. It was announced that we would be shuttling over to TBIT. Pretty much given the same reasoning.
Ditto. It was a total pain to get all the way over to TBIT from T7, then walk through the under-construction portions, and then retrieve luggage. Also had to call my ride and have them scramble over to TBIT to pick me up.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by daveinsf
I see on the UA web site that today's arrival of 935 shows Term. 7, gate 74. I wonder if this is correct?
Even if they do bus you over, it always shows arrival at gate 74 because that's the gate the plane actually pulls into. People then are diverted outside onto stairs (even in the rain - been there done that a couple times) and have to then hike down to the busses.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
As many here know too well, the UA MEX flight (when it was still around) followed this procedure to bus everyone to the TB terminal for years and years. It was never a pleasant experience.
Agree, hated every bit about it.

TBIT was packed with people mostly coming from other flights, the ICE guys were really rude and obnoxious, the line was long and slow, and it's a long walk back to T7/T8 for connections.

Originally Posted by Tiojelly
My biggest complaint about this process is that as they cram us onto the bus for transport to Bradley, it removes any of the experience from business or first class travel. They have the busses wait until filled with all classes of service and if you are the 1st off the plane, you may end up last in the customs line since they pack everyone in.
This was indeed extra-special annoying. First off the plane, last into immigration; a dedicated premium-cabin ground vehicle would have been nice.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
If the LHR flight is late they do switch to TBIT.
In this case, the LHR flight was actually early by almost 30 mins and we were still bussed to TBIT. My understanding from the service director is that the LHR flight now always comes into TBIT

BTW. after the recent schedule change, this flight now leaves LHR 45 minutes later than previously. Maybe that's enough to cause the shift.

Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Can this really be the case? (I don't know one way or the other, just asking.) If so, what would that mean to someone connecting on in LAX with checked bags -- say, LHR-LAX-HNL or LHR-LAX-SAN? Do they have to lug all of their checked luggage from TBIT and walk down to T7?
Once you get out of the customs hall, you can re-check bags, but it seems to be an all-airline re-check belt. There are no UA people there, so if you you are late and/or missed your connection you might be in trouble.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I had the same thing happen on my FRA-LAX flight last month. It sucked, but really couldn't do anything about it. It was a huge pain, but fortunately TBIT was empty, so once i got off the bus, I was out in 10 minutes.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
I had to do it twice with the FRA-LAX...yeah kind of a pain....
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This was posted about when the non-stop FRA-LAX service started earlier this year. It is a drag, but it is your US government wanting to save a shift of customs staff at the UA terminal, and a fairly hefty salary bill. It is a rational move since the costs would outweigh the benefits...and I would assume UA would have to pay the costs of this shift. It's a lot cheaper paying for a couple of buses.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Makes me wonder if I made a mistake in booking my First Class award tickets between SFO and LHR via LAX. There wasn't any availability on the direct SFO-LHR flight and since I wanted longer time in the International First Class rather than domestic decided to go via LAX instead of changing in the East. Now with the upcoming hassle on the LAX transfer makes me wonder if I made the wrong decision. I guess I wouldn't have much luck getting them to change my flights without paying a change fee though.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:21 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Dave, it is not that big of a deal....you should be fine.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by daveinsf
Makes me wonder if I made a mistake in booking my First Class award tickets between SFO and LHR via LAX. There wasn't any availability on the direct SFO-LHR flight and since I wanted longer time in the International First Class rather than domestic decided to go via LAX instead of changing in the East. Now with the upcoming hassle on the LAX transfer makes me wonder if I made the wrong decision. I guess I wouldn't have much luck getting them to change my flights without paying a change fee though.
I wouldnt say that. However I think it was a mistake to book this trip on UA !

Try Air New Zealand Business Class LAX-LHR and you even save some miles with better service !
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:06 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I wouldnt say that. However I think it was a mistake to book this trip on UA !

Try Air New Zealand Business Class LAX-LHR and you even save some miles with better service !
True. For revenue travel, consider double miles on AA:

https://www.aa.com/aa/viewPromotionD...oryId=16105430
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
FRA has always gone to TBIT but this news about LHR is very disappointing as the only reason to travel through LAX to SYD was UA's arrival arrangements which made it quick to get to the hotel for a shower en-route.

I am doing this in two weeks and if we're be bussed to TBIT that will be the last time.

US immigration at TBIT is slow and the staff substantially more agrressive, and more rude than the staff they used to have at T6.

FYI - the LHR-LAX late flight walks to TBIT also.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Markie

I am doing this in two weeks and if we're be bussed to TBIT that will be the last time.

US immigration at TBIT is slow and the staff substantially more agrressive, and more rude than the staff they used to have at T6.
Exactly my point !

What is your arrival time ?

Again, it is not tolerable to have these procedures in effect.

I would probably contact UA beforehand and ask them this question so they see people already care and consider to rebook on another carrier.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SD-Flyer

That's understandable, but this does create a few issues for passengers:

* If you have a large carry-on, a bum knee etc the stairs are a problem.
Do they really care ?

Aside from the topic, few years ago, before the remodelled T1 open in NRT. Many UA flights were parked at the remote gate area as the satellite were too small to handle so many UA flights in NRT. Even if you fly F, no one will help you to carry your heavy carry-on downstairs from the planes, and you were bus in to the terminal, then come back out your connection plane is actually sitting next to plane you arrived, then you have to take that heavy carryon back upstairs onto the plane. By the time I got on the plane, I was so tired just ask if I can stow my luggage into the closet instead.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: UA MM
This has been standard for some time. The imm./customs closes from T6 (UA) in the early afternoon so the later flights all need to go to Bradley terminal. Most flights (Asia) arrive in the morning so either UA or govt is saving $. I don't think TB customs is too bad unless you get a big flight arriving just before you; of course it helps to sit toward the front of the flight and to walk fast.... The airport improvements done recently have helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.