Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by foothill
This has been standard for some time. The imm./customs closes from T6 (UA) in the early afternoon so the later flights all need to go to Bradley terminal. Most flights (Asia) arrive in the morning so either UA or govt is saving $. I don't think TB customs is too bad unless you get a big flight arriving just before you; of course it helps to sit toward the front of the flight and to walk fast.... The airport improvements done recently have helped.
T6 used to stay open until LHR had landed (if on time) and this was the case just before the summer when I last flew it.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I wouldnt say that. However I think it was a mistake to book this trip on UA !

Try Air New Zealand Business Class LAX-LHR and you even save some miles with better service !
Wouldn't it be wonderful if it were possible to use UA miles for two business class tickets on Air New Zealand? Sadly the only possibility is to fly UA.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
UA 935 now going to Tom Bradley

Apologies if posted. Did the search via Google and found nothing.

Yesterday I returned from Europe on UA 935, LHR to LAX. I had also recently come back on Nov. 18th, same flight so this is twice now.

Instead of clearing immigration and customs in T6, we were forced to go down the stairs and then take a bus to Tom Bradley.

For me, not horrible but still a PITA that adds to the delay of getting home. Naturally this is important if someone is meeting you.

The reason I got was *someone* does not want to pay for the agents to wait around after the morning TransPac flights. So beware. Not sure if other flights are affected.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Welcome to UA @ LAX... the land of joy and honey

I would say time to switch to VS, BA or NZ on this route. Even AA cant be worse than UA, at least they have the new C!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA T7/T6 immigation/customs operating hours?

Previously when I've flown UA LHR-LAX, the USA immigration/customs/bag reclaim always took place in the dedicated UA facility in T7/T6 - as far as I'm concerned it was always one of the plus points, as the process was usually quick and stress-free. However, when UA935 LHR-LAX blocked on at LAX on time at 2:30PM on Saturday last (01-03), we were told that we would be bussed over to the TBIT for immigration/customs/bag reclaim, which indeed we were. Needless to say I was NOT happy with that prospect!

So, question: has the immigration/customs facility in T7/T6 reduced its operating hours, or were they just having an off-day??

Andy

PS: As it happened, there were no lines at all for immigration at TBIT - most desks were staffed but the officers were just sitting and waiting for someone to "immigrate". Total time from aircraft stopping to curbside was around 30 minutes, including bussing, immigration, bag reclaim and customs. However, had we been five minutes later, after the Qantas A380 offloaded, then the lines were starting to build.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2009 at 9:17 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by dawg1k
The reason I got was *someone* does not want to pay for the agents to wait around after the morning TransPac flights.
Some UA pursers outright lie to planeloads of pax about this - the last excuse given upon bussing LHR-LAX pax to TBIT was "Customs doesn't have the resources"

Just another example of the second rate carrier positioning currently in effect!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
[N]o one will help you to carry your heavy carry-on downstairs from the planes, and you were bus in to the terminal, then come back out your connection plane is actually sitting next to plane you arrived, then you have to take that heavy carryon back upstairs onto the plane. By the time I got on the plane, I was so tired just ask if I can stow my luggage into the closet instead.
Frankly, if your "carry-on" bag is that heavy and you have such difficulty handling it, it should have been checked in the first place.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:05 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Skymonster
Previously when I've flown UA LHR-LAX, the USA immigration/customs/bag reclaim always took place in the dedicated UA facility in T7/T6 - as far as I'm concerned it was always one of the plus points, as the process was usually quick and stress-free. However, when UA935 LHR-LAX blocked on at LAX on time at 2:30PM on Saturday last (01-03), we were told that we would be bussed over to the TBIT for immigration/customs/bag reclaim, which indeed we were. Needless to say I was NOT happy with that prospect!

So, question: has the immigration/customs facility in T7/T6 reduced its operating hours, or were they just having an off-day??

Andy

PS: As it happened, there were no lines at all for immigration at TBIT - most desks were staffed but the officers were just sitting and waiting for someone to "immigrate". Total time from aircraft stopping to curbside was around 30 minutes, including bussing, immigration, bag reclaim and customs. However, had we been five minutes later, after the Qantas A380 offloaded, then the lines were starting to build.

UA935 ALWAYS goes to TBIT by bus now I am afraid.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:52 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Jan 15, UA 935 arrrived 1 hour early, due to tail winds, and we were still bussed to TBIT. Not a well-organised exercise to begin with.

Bradley was a zoo. Several other flights had arrived/were arriving at the same time, and the lines even for US citizens and residents were enormous with very few agents on duty. Stood in line for almost an hour just to get into the country - welcome home, everyone!

It didn't end there. All the bags had been offloaded at a carousel (and they changed the number twice so it wasn't easy to find anything), and this was followed by everyone trying to find the end of an enormous line snaking its way right round the terminal - took almost another hour to finally exit to the street.

That's the last time for me. I'll be flying in from LHR via ORD or SFO in future.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My parents flew UA890 from NRT to LAX yesterday, and they arrived at 8am, approximately 40 minutes earlier than scheduled. When the plane arrived at the gate, the passengers were told that immigration officers have not arrived at T6/T7 yet, so they had to wait on the plane for 30 minutes.

What a way to say "Welcome to the USA!"
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 1P
Jan 15, UA 935 arrrived 1 hour early, due to tail winds, and we were still bussed to TBIT. Not a well-organised exercise to begin with.

Bradley was a zoo. Several other flights had arrived/were arriving at the same time, and the lines even for US citizens and residents were enormous with very few agents on duty. Stood in line for almost an hour just to get into the country - welcome home, everyone!

It didn't end there. All the bags had been offloaded at a carousel (and they changed the number twice so it wasn't easy to find anything), and this was followed by everyone trying to find the end of an enormous line snaking its way right round the terminal - took almost another hour to finally exit to the street.

That's the last time for me. I'll be flying in from LHR via ORD or SFO in future.
I had an identical experience on the 12th...it took almost 2.5hrs to clear immigration, retrieve luggage and clear customs...I was told by a "ranking" CBP officer at Bradley that the new requirements for visas are causing a "log jam" ...I asked why T6-7 FIS was closed (I asked in December as well) and the answer was the lack of CBP staff and UA just having one flight arriving in the afternoon...he also told me that they would be back in T6-7 in April (we shall see) I also talked to a couple of UA service directors at Bradley...they indicated that it was a horrible situation and that we should contact UA as corporate did not listen to them!! (their exact words were "please write!!") They also confirmed that they would be back in T6-7 in April...One on my angels in T7 told me that UA would have had to pay a higher fee to DHS to have UA935 clear in T6-7 since it was the only flight arriving in the afternoon...I believe that since UA stopped the FRA and MEX that DHS instituted the new plan...

Whatever the reason, it is the pits!!...and to UA935 travelers...please write to corporate and let them know what a disaster this is!!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
I agree. I flew into LAX ON 935 and it was horrible. I was in First on the plane and felt like I was in fourth class in a third world country once I got off. We will do everything in our power to avoid UAL in the future!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Boy, wish I had seen this thread before. I was on UA935 on the 17th, which arrived 30 minutes early. Imagine my surprise when we were sent down the steps & onto a bus & sent to TBIT, where other flights came in at the same time.

So much for being 1A on the 777!!!

I guess I was 'semi' lucky because I was on the first bus squeezed in against the back due to everyone else getting on. I was in the 'short line' where it still took 20+ minutes to get through, and Mr. Customs was quite grumpy. What also suprised me was that, unlike T6/7, there was no separate lane for the flight crews. I had the co-pilot & an FA in my lane. The FA told me it had been this way for a while; the Co-P said it was because LHR was the only aft flight so they didn't want to keep T6/T7 open.

Then, after luggage came up I headed for what I thought was the exit which was near the carousels I was at, except to be directed back to some center carousel with a big exit sign on (which I thought was specific to that area - as did everyone else who got 're-routed'). Then after getting through that & before the 3rd person to give the form to, people from different lanes all ended up mashing & having to juggle their way through.

TBIT is such a dump. And I didn't even think of the lost luggage/mis-connect due to delays/no UA help that others mentioned, as I was terminating at LAX. What a mess. And what a loss of one of the bennies of UA at LAX.

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
As discussed in this other thread, hopefully the fact that United is giving up exclusive control of the T6/T7 FIS means that other airlines will soon start to make use of it, leading to the facility being opening for more hours of the day. If that turns out to be the case, United's giving up exclusive control would actually turn out to be a benefit to UA travellers and crew arriving in the afternoon (who are now, as noted above, bused over to TBIT.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...agreement.html
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
As discussed in this other thread, hopefully the fact that United is giving up exclusive control of the T6/T7 FIS means that other airlines will soon start to make use of it, leading to the facility being opening for more hours of the day. If that turns out to be the case, United's giving up exclusive control would actually turn out to be a benefit to UA travellers and crew arriving in the afternoon (who are now, as noted above, bused over to TBIT.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...agreement.html
If these are the main airlines moving to T6, not sure that helps UA935:

"To accommodate Virgin America's proposed move, five (5) T-3 carriers (AirTran, Frontier, Midwest, Spirit Airlines, and Sun Country) will need to be relocated to T-6."

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.