Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: UAL1K
USA TODAY Reports Airshow/Maps Allowed

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...&ak=12771.blog

12/28/2009 8:15:00 AM from USA TODAY

Many media outlets – including NBC's Today Show – reported that the Transportation Security Administration had required airlines to black out the seatback in-flight route maps. That, the Today Show said, had required some airlines to turn off their in-flight systems altogether since the map was part of the overall programming.

However, Micheline Maynard of The New York Times reports that "by Monday, airlines indicated that a few of the new security demands were being revised, and even dialed back. Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong-based carrier with direct flights to New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, said U.S. authorities had stopped requiring airlines to black out the route-tracking channel on their in-flight entertainment systems."

Photo: The in-flight seat map as seen on a Dec. 2009 Toronto-New York flight on LAN Airlines. By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: Lots
Correct - the EA has been rescinded without explanation. We'll see how long it takes for crews to be briefed and stop this nonsense.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eightblack
Just flew 869 (SFO to HKG) 12/27. IFE and Ch 9 operational entire flight (thank goodness) and only security precaution was everyone was advised to stay in seat 1-hr prior to landing. No mention made of not accessing hand carry etc.

At least sanity prevailed on this flight and maybe security is far more strict on inbound flights.
"advised" or "required"? - there is a world of difference.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:59 am

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
One more datapoint:

UA922 daytime IAD-LHR on 12/27 - no changes at all. Full power, IFE, including map, and no "sit your butt down" silliness. ^
UA925 evening LHR-IAD on 12/27, full IFE except map and Ch. 9. Then the sit-down crap at 1 hour!. I don't recall the FA's collecting blankets. we had our 5 month old wrapped up sleeping and they didn't ask for the blanket. Now, maybe that was because I smelt of baby puke in C
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Axey
Correct - the EA has been rescinded without explanation. We'll see how long it takes for crews to be briefed and stop this nonsense.
I'm still trying to find documention for "rescinded". The only articles I've seen talk in terms of "revised" or "turned down", neither of which equals being "rescinded."
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by bdschobel
UA837, SFO-NRT, 26 DEC 2009: United disabled the in-flight entertainment system, including overhead reading lights and flight-attendant call buttons, on this OUTBOUND flight FROM the United States.
Great. So if the person next to you has a medical emergency, you have to holler and wave your arms to get the FAs attention since the call buttons are disabled (better not get up out of your seat!)
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: United 1P, SPG Gold
Just flew UA 982 IAD KWI (Kuwait) departing IAD on 12/27 and happy to report that the IFE was working. Flight Map and Channel 9 were both disabled. Two carry ons were allowed and there were no last 60 or 90 minute restrictions.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: UA1K
to be honest, in the world of google maps, if i'm flying over a US city, it doesn't take me long to figure out which one it is.

i do transcons a lot and i know the difference between KC, STL, DEN, and SLC.

hopefully most of this gets fixed.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
The new sony X series laptop has GPS built in, as do most cell phones.

Pointless
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Not to mention that anybody with a watch can predict when the flight is about to start descending. Maybe UAL will start confiscating our timepieces next. Or keeping arrival times secret.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
The new sony X series laptop has GPS built in, as do most cell phones.

Pointless
But most reports are that for GPS to work on a plane you have to hold the unit right up against the window, making it pretty obvious what you're doing. The GPS on my phone and ITouch pretty much don't work inside at all.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:13 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by milepig
"advised" or "required"? - there is a world of difference.
Milepig, we were "advised". The crew were one of the best UA crews I have seen in all my years of flying. People were still going to the bathroom and moving around after the "1-hr deadline" but there were no over the top remarks or draconian warnings from any of the crew.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:27 am

Let's hope the TSA never requires airlines to do this again. Blacking out the route map does nothing for security. And the route map and ch. 9 are pretty much the only thing I use on long haul flights. I usually never watch any of the IFE.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Finally a widely read media publication has commented on all of this nonsense. Hopefully it will start to get the attention of policymakers and even those predictable gate lice who think "well, if it will keep me safe then why not" types...

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009...er-defy-logic/
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by OZNOG
Flew today FRA-SFO on UA901, in F. New security measures with all pax made to stay in seat with all belongings out of reach (including pillows/blankets etc) for last hour and all cabin baggage in Ohead bins only. Purser was hoping this was a short term measure but was US law rather then UAL policy. Passengers very unhappy.
Heh, watched your late departure from the Tower Lounge

Pretty much the same story on UA 933 (FRA-IAD) that day (12/27).

After making the standard announcements about one carry-on plus one personal item such as a laptop bag or purse, the GAs then forced a gate-check of my wife's rollaboard claiming that her small laptop backpack (pretty much empty) + rollaboard was too much. She's 1P, was travelling in C. Meanwhile I was standing next to her, having already successfully passed that same gate agent with my identical rollaboard and my much bigger laptop backpack. And to add insult to injury, we then sat in our C seats and watched economy passengers pass through the C cabin with their two bags.

The second meal service started over two hours before arrival at IAD because of the one hour "stuck in your seat" period. Water glasses were taken away after that service and no beverage service during the ConAir phase. Blankets in C were confiscated, but the FAs didn't care about the newspaper I was reading (covering up my lap).

IFE (if you can call it that on the 777) was available, but no map channel and no channel 9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.