Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jill3120
Of course, the point of the question is avoiding having them go unused.

Well, it was really nice of you to try! I was thinking of going up to frazzled looking people and offering them, but with my luck, I would offer them to folks whose fares don't qualify. I think my best option is to start flight shopping and post the offer to my Facebook friends as well

Has anyone ever tried donating SWU's to a charity like Make-a-Wish?
I did the Facebook thing and amazing how people who never post obviously still read FB and replied. I picked my closest friends. 5 of 6 (all domestic--what a sad use) all cleared immediately with one Christmas trip on the upgrade list.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by joel67
As I've discovered, it's hard to give away SWUs to your friends and random strangers with no status. First of all, for non-domestic travel they still need to buy more expensive tickets than they otherwise might in order to be eligible. The big problem, though, is that they seem to be prioritized based on their own status, rather than yours. Bottom line is that last-minute upgrades are almost impossible, so you need to do it well in advance, maybe before you even realize that you're going to have any leftovers to give away.
Yes, there ought to be a pool where one can deposit expiring SWU/CR-1s for military personel. That would be one place I would not hesitate to contribute to.

Does one exist that I don't know of?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
last year, i asked for all my extra SWUs to be converted to paper LH vouchers.... and on my Christmas flight to Frankfurt, i befriended my seat mate, an old gentleman flying in coach to India on a LH connecting flight in FRA... I gave him my extra LH paper SWU... he instantly upgraded at his gate in FRA all the way to india!

it was a good Christmas gift for an elderly stranger. felt good.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by epiding
last year, i asked for all my extra SWUs to be converted to paper LH vouchers.... and on my Christmas flight to Frankfurt, i befriended my seat mate, an old gentleman flying in coach to India on a LH connecting flight in FRA... I gave him my extra LH paper SWU... he instantly upgraded at his gate in FRA all the way to india!

it was a good Christmas gift for an elderly stranger. felt good.
wow, what a lucky stranger. Hopefully I will meet you on a flight some day
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:09 pm

Where to gift them

I have two that I will not be using this year. I see people say you can gift them to various organisations. How does one do that ?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by meastick
I have two that I will not be using this year. I see people say you can gift them to various organisations. How does one do that ?
You can not "gift" SWUs to an organization. You can gift to an individual that has a reservation. So you could contact an organization and offer to sponsor someone who is travelling but you would have to do the upgrade request.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
I need to use my SWU certificates

I have 4 certificates left and I'd like to use it on an international flight but don't know where to go. Can some of you wonderful flyertalk friends help me out? Does anyone know any good deals. I was looking at going from ORD to SYD but that was costing a ton and I would be waitlisted and being a 1K don't know if I'd make the cut on travel day. I am looking to fly on December 21 and go home December 26. Hope to hear some great advice. My SWU's expire at the end of this year.

Last edited by miketravelparty; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:10 am

The airfare into Europe isn't too terrible right now and I saw some good deals into Asia (China and Japan and Manilla) in the MR deals forum. I don't know if you need a W fare, but all of those cheapo fares were less than $1000 RT AI

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:11 am Reason: not even in jest, please
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by vianzonparty
I have 4 certificates left and I'd like to use it on an international flight but don't know where to go. Can some of you wonderful flyertalk friends help me out? Does anyone know any good deals. I was looking at going from ORD to SYD but that was costing a ton and I would be waitlisted and being a 1K don't know if I'd make the cut on travel day. I am looking to fly on December 21 and go home December 26. Hope to hear some great advice. My SWU's expire at the end of this year.
I've moved your question into an existing thread that has discussion that may be of help. Also, depending on your budget, don't forget p.s. flights to JFK as a potential way to use SWU.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Not sure if this has been addressed but I am not pleased that the SWU's I earned in Sept 2011 expire in Sept 2012 and not Dec 2012. I feel that I am being penalized for hitting 1k early. I usually have more international travel in Oct and Nov. I realize they use a 12 month window but since everything else related to MP is on calendar year, the expire dates should be too.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dlwalt
Not sure if this has been addressed but I am not pleased that the SWU's I earned in Sept 2011 expire in Sept 2012 and not Dec 2012. .....
The word is in 2012 you will be able to extend the SWUs until Dec 2012.

see the end of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-end-year.html
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:10 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The word is in 2012 you will be able to extend the SWUs until Dec 2012.

see the end of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-end-year.html
My understanding is that this applies only to those deposited due to crossing 100k during 2011, correct?

I currently have 2 which were deposited in January, 2011, as they were the result of crossing 100k in 2010. UA has twice now switched these to support a domestic u/g (hey, better to use them than let them expire), but twice now a couple of days later .bomb has shown the SWUs back in my account and CR1s pulled for that January itin.

It would be fine and dandy if I could get UA to extend those 2 SWUs later into 2012, but if I read things correctly, that's not an option, right?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by exerda
My understanding is that this applies only to those deposited due to crossing 100k during 2011, correct? ...
that was focus of the other thread

Originally Posted by exerda
... It would be fine and dandy if I could get UA to extend those 2 SWUs later into 2012, but if I read things correctly, that's not an option, right?
Older SWUs was not the issue raised in the other thread.
In past years that had been an opportunity in November to extend 1 older SWU but as November comes to an end, there has been no such opportunity this year.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1k , CO SI,
help with system wide upgrades

Ok, I know this is a common rant but I am sitting on 9 systemwide upgrades but cannot seem to burn them. January need to route CLE-RUH-DXB-CLE. Can only find one confirmed upgradable segment. tired of trying to bank Star Alliance miles and not use the upgrades. Any clever advise on routings? or
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Get on the waitlist ASAP and cross your fingers

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 21, 2011 at 11:04 am Reason: member does not meet access requirements for CC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.