Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bowhi
This just happened to me as well. Called United and they tried to work it out. She told me that they couldn't fix it prior to my trip, but that they could do it retroactively once I have taken the trip. she said they would, "note this in my file"...is this legit or was it a way to get me off the phone?
Once your upgrade clears you can go to the Request an Upgrade screen for the reservation and request an upgrade with an SWU again. You won't lose your upgrade, but it'll reselect an SWU using the one that expires first.

(For domestic flights, it lets you switch between a regional and a systemwide. For awhile you could even upgrade with a regional and then switch it to UDU by selecting 500s.)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi, so a friend of 1k friend of mine called the 1k desk and the agent said they'd extend two of his that expire in January until the end of February, if the ticket is booked by the end of January. He called again and got a different answer, that they aren't extending them at all this year.

Is it really true they aren't extending them at all this year? I've heard mixed messages recently.

Also, if I were to use some SWUs that expire in January for some flights in February that will instantly clear upon booking (let's say I book before the end of January), will those SWUs still be valid and used for my flight?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by joel67
Once your upgrade clears you can go to the Request an Upgrade screen for the reservation and request an upgrade with an SWU again. You won't lose your upgrade, but it'll reselect an SWU using the one that expires first.

(For domestic flights, it lets you switch between a regional and a systemwide. For awhile you could even upgrade with a regional and then switch it to UDU by selecting 500s.)
Wow! That was fantastic...thanks for the tip / trick, it worked like a charm! Got all 6 SWUs for this year now expiring in 1/13
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Or give 'em away.
That was included in "use."
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: United Airlines, Marriott
Too Many Regional Upgrades

I travel international and I have too many regional upgrades that I am unable use. Any suggestions before I lose them?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by marc7692
I travel international and I have too many regional upgrades that I am unable use. Any suggestions before I lose them?
Donate them
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Same boat here, I've got a bunch left. I managed to give one away to a Navy kid and it clear right at gate surprisingly. Short flight but he was happy.

If you don't have friends or family flying to give them to, just give them away at gate.

I used one on my daughters return home on an RDU to IAD segment. Not sure if they even lift the landing gear after takeoff on that flight... Not ideal but use or CR1 but you get the idea.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by superking
Donate them
+1 (use Coupon Connection when you get enough posts to have access...you can even specify if you want them to go to teachers, military, etc.)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Im in the same boat with SWU's & Regionals (SWU because I am unwilling to pay a 60% premium to waitlist and play the lottery). I will probably have at least 10 of each go unused this year (Heck I used a SWU before it expired to upgrade my wife IAH --> MSY)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by marc7692
Maybe contact a CC moderator and see if they're willing to list the CR1s for donation purposes (that is if you're wanting to do that). I guess its up to the mods to decide if its ok or not.

Others suggestions are really good especially upgrading at the gate to service men/women.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've been with FT for a couple of years and it never ceases to amaze me the kinds of things one can learn. In this case, coupon connect is a fantastic structure for something like this. Silly me, I actually posed a stupid question (yes there is such a thing) on FT yesterday...and now I've found my way back to redemption through Coupon Connect. Hallelujah!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Apologies if already answered elsewhere--I did a search and this seems like the closest.

Does UA curently have a policy regarding how many unused GPUs can have their expiration delayed one year?

UA pre-merger used to consistently be one. Never published, but always allowed.

Then about eight mongths ago I was permitted to have two GPUs' expiration date delayed--the agent said it would be until end-2012, but in fact appeared in my account as one year from the time of the call (end-April 2013).
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travelexpert
... Does UA curently have a policy regarding how many unused GPUs can have their expiration delayed one year?

UA pre-merger used to consistently be one. Never published, but always allowed.

Then about eight mongths ago I was permitted to have two GPUs' expiration date delayed--the agent said it would be until end-2012, but in fact appeared in my account as one year from the time of the call (end-April 2013).
The extend one SWU/GPU to April policy has been gone for awhile, it was not generally done in last year -- what you got done was an exception.

A month ago, UA announced the GPUs/RPUs would be good from deposit (at time of earning) to end of the next elite year (January). So if in 2012 you earned an instrument in Aug (2012) it would be good until January 2014. So now at least 13 months and perhaps as much as 25 months of life. ^

Initially this was just starting with 2012 earned instruments. But if you called, 2011 (unexpired) earned instrument were extended to Jan 2013.

More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...id-longer.html

To your specific question, there has been no additionally extend till April policy announced but a few have reported some extensions (probably not policy - so don't push) of Jan 2013 expiration to cover an early 2013 flight.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
What about reqesting a Paper Certificate for LH Travel ( with a GPU that expires 1/13 ) Would the date get auto exended when the paper cert is issued? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
What about reqesting a Paper Certificate for LH Travel ( with a GPU that expires 1/13 ) Would the date get auto exended when the paper cert is issued? Thanks and Safe Travels
no extension of expiration by converting to paper or by returning and converting to electronic. No such loophole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.