Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Selling and bartering are both off-limits. Your (allowable) choices are generally to give them away or let them expire. Some people like to just pick random (or not so random) passengers at the airport to give them to.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
I am in the same boat. I would rather not see them go to waste. I just called United and suggested that they allow us (I am GS) to apply expiring upgrades for the flights of service member returning home from duty abroad. I often see them in Frankfurt. The agent thought it a great idea, but like most jumbo organizations, i am sure it will die there. Im my SYUs will expire with no value, I am going to call the local USO and ask them.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-1s-swus.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...man-woman.html
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:47 pm

Smile Systemwide Upgrades

I have 7 systemwide upgrades that will be expiring soon (one in December, the other six in January), and it is a shame to let them go to waste (I will not be traveling internationally anytime soon, and I have plenty of regional upgrades). A gentleman at the United Club told me I could sell them, but I believe that is against the rules. Anyone have an idea on what I can do with them? Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Welcome to FT!

Yes, it is against program rules to sell or barter them. You can also use them to upgrade on domestic flights, save the regionals for the future since there'll be less of them going forward. Or gift them to friends and family members.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:04 pm

Thanks for the greetings and quick response, PTahCha. That's what I thought, and I just wanted to check. Many thanks, and God bless! ;-)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
If you do gift them, remember that they have to be used or waitlisted at least 24 hours before departure. They can't be used for at-the-airport BF upgrades.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
If you do gift them, remember that they have to be used or waitlisted at least 24 hours before departure. They can't be used for at-the-airport BF upgrades.
For CO metal, however UA metal or LH does not presently have that restriction (but you still have the issue of needing to be authorize the gifting).
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Best use of 5 SWU's for some January Mileage?

I'm at 95,000 eqm's so far for this year, and I'll make it to 1K with no problems.

But the only problem is that I have 5 SWU's left (they expire at the end of January). And I would hate to waste them. I figure it would be good to do a mileage run or two in January to help get 2012 off to a good start (and I like to fly...so that helps).

Any suggestions on best routes (departing LAX) (for upgrade chances)? I checked some random dates in January for trip from LAX-LHR (connecting via ord or iad) and found NO upgrade availability.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm Reason: inappropriate content removed
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I never have trouble finding NC on the SFO-ICN route (though I usually book with longer lead time than you're doing).
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Check availability for LAX-SEA-NRT. Usually can find "reasonable" costs to NRT and ex-SEA flights are not too hard to upgrade.

Might even try to join the SIN DO over MLK weekend.

Dave

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 27, 2011 at 2:41 pm Reason: removed quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Based on time being, you are going to waste them no matter what (unless UA is willing to extend that for you, which is unlikely in this year).

My suggestion:

1. Craigslist (although it is in direct violation of M+ T&Cs).

2. Trade it (but it is too bad you can't use the Couple Connection yet).

3. Waste it (Instead of UDUs/EUAs/CR-1, use SWUs first).

Or sponsor whoever you feel like it.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I never have trouble finding NC on the SFO-ICN route (though I usually book with longer lead time than you're doing).
But are you buying W or K ?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 27, 2011 at 2:41 pm Reason: removed quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:17 pm
Suspended

thanks for the replies so far!

I priced ICN, NRT, and SIN.....all of those cities are coming back with fares in the $3k to $4k range for upgradeable economy! Must be the min stay requirement???
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by thomasj
thanks for the replies so far!

I priced ICN, NRT, and SIN.....all of those cities are coming back with fares in the $3k to $4k range for upgradeable economy! Must be the min stay requirement???
And that's the reason I said you will waste your SWUs anyway.

AFAIK - a lot of 1Ks are in the same boat as you do (and that's why I don't want to become a 1K).

So you want to help UA to save money or let other to benefit, it will be totally up to you.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ask for 1 to be extended

Ask for one to be extended - have done this several years, usually it's limited to one SWU and extended until April. Don't recall if it was a phone call to MP or email to 1K voice - try one, try both, try often!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.